Third Mortal Kombat Movie Coming Soon?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Third Mortal Kombat Movie Coming Soon?

Mortal Kombat might be coming back from the cinematic dead, according to actor Chris Casamassa, who played Scorpion in the original two films.

Though I hear that the first Mortal Kombat movie enjoys some kind of cult following these days, I think most sensible people who saw the second movie, Annihilation, assumed that Mortal Kombat movies were pretty much done for. This is apparently not the case, because martial artist and occasional actor Chris Casamassa says that a new MK film is in the works.

"Now I do maybe one film a year because I'm helping my dad run our company and it's kind of a full-time job, which I love," Casamassa told the San Gabriel Valley Tribune [http://www.sgvtribune.com/rds_search/ci_12742587?IADID=Search-www.sgvtribune.com-www.sgvtribune.com]. Apparently the film he decided to do this year is the third Mortal Kombat film, which he says is set to start filming in September.

The news coincides with the announcement that Warner Bros has acquired the rights to the Mortal Kombat IP, along with most of the troubled Midway's other properties. Meanwhile, Lawrence Kasanoff [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92711-Midway-Sued-Over-Mortal-Kombat-Rights], who produced the MK movies, filed suit against Midway claiming he has exclusive license on work produced off the MK franchise and that the Warner Bros sale shouldn't change that.

If we're taking Casamassa's word for it, then, it would seem that either Kasanoff has squared his affairs with Midway and Warner Bros, or that somebody else entirely will be making the upcoming movie. Apparently Kasanoff has had an idea for a third movie, subtitled Devastation, for some time now, and is planning for it to be a reboot of the series. Can it possibly be worse than Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li? I'm going to have to say probably.

[Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/mortal-kombat-3-movie-filming-in-september--139006.phtml]]

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
A third MK film? That's strange.

I was just talking about a possible "third Mortal Kombat movie" with a friend the other day. It was weird; we were just sitting on a bench, then suddenly a guy pulled up in an SUV, pulled a dead horse out of the trunk, and started beating it with a baseball bat.

Again, it was weird.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm all for it, it'll no doubt bomb horribly, but I actually think the original MK movie was one of the best video games movies so far. Not a great movie as such, but brought the feeling of the game across, with a little bit of the plot, then a big stupid fight, then a bit of plot....it was like the plot bits were there to emulate the loading screens.

all that and I think Robin Shou, the guy who played Lui Kang, (on the right in the photo), deserves better than just getting booted off a boat in the DOA movie.

DOA did a fairly good job at a faithful recreation of the game too, being a lurid pervfest of leering camera with some fights tacked on.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
*throws up on ground* uggg that's what happens when I hear the words mortal kombat mov.....*HURL*

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
There are only 2 ways this could possibly work in my mind. Attached Stephen Chow as the directer with a totally tongue in cheek script and you just might have something. Or have Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor direct and throw story completely out the window focusing on nothing but crazy action set pieces with very quick pacing between them.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Erm, the first one wasn't great, the second one...damn, I think I erased that from my flashback memory, it must have been awful...still, can't be any worse than Batman and Robin right?

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
I hope this one is better than the second movie...I know RE4 will suck but this one I actually have hopes for.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Whatever.
As long as they stop making horrible and lame MK games.

I actually kind of liked the last movie; mind you I was well and thoroughly zooted at the time I saw it.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
The first one wasn't THAT bad, as far as video game movies go. The second one was awful. Simply awful. Besides, being a little kid and seeing Johnny Cage punch Goro in the balls was one of the greatest moments of my life.

lornb

Jan 16, 2009
Uh, I'm part of that cult following for the first one. The second just made me feel really... dirty. I'm all for a ..straight to dvd reboot though.