Suda 51 Wants No More Heroes' Travis in Smash Bros.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Suda 51 Wants No More Heroes' Travis in Smash Bros.

In a bout of wishful thinking, No More Heroes designer Goicha Suda has expressed his desire to see his game's star, Travis Touchdown, appear in Super Smash Bros.

If you don't belong to the elite club of Nintendo characters, you have to be an icon among icons to get into the Smash Bros pantheon. Sonic the Hedgehog is an icon among icons, as is Solid Snake - or at least Solid Snake's pretty high up there, and the fact that Hideo Kojima is friends with the Smash staff helped Snake get in the game.

None of which is the case for Travis Touchdown, star of cult favorite Wii action game No More Heroes. Still, nothing's going to stop Travis' creator, the wacky Suda 51, from hoping for the future. "I love him, and I want him to be a huge star," Suda told Nintendo Power. "That's why I'm working very hard to make [No More Heroes 2] as interesting as possible. Maybe in the future, we can see him fighting alongside Link in the next Smash Bros. That would be great."

While Snake was something of an out-of-place choice considering his M-rated background and Smash Bros' kiddy style, it kinda worked in the end. Travis would probably fit in terms of his fighting style, since he uses beam katanas and wrestling moves, and that's not too far off from regular Smash fare.

But in terms of his personality, uh, well this is a guy whose prime motivation in becoming the no. 1 assassin in the world was so he could sleep with a hot French Scarlett Johansson lookalike, who presses his face up against anime posters and moans "Moe... [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_(slang)]" and who saves his game by taking a number two.

I'm not sure that would fit with Smash Bros., but man, a guy can dream, right? And Suda's good friends with Kojima, who's good friends with the Smash people, as we've already established. It could happen. Believe.

[Via WiiBlog [http://www.wiiblog.net/suda-51-wants-travis-touchdown-in-smash-bros-do-you-2720/]]

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I don't see why not. The stuff from No More Heroes isn't even half as bad as a lot of the things that happen in the Metal Gear Solid series.

That and Travis Touchdown is probably the most memorable new character on the Wii.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Hell yeah. And Bring the original 5 that were removed, and more songs. And more Sonic, Pokemon(Give me Gateway Colosseum) and Snake stages.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
If only they would add him and bring back Roy. They are both really awesome, and Roy and Marth brought me into the Fire Emblem games.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Meh. He's been in one game. I don't see why he should be in.

Yet I still don't see alot of good characters in Smash Brothers. Sad.

PS2MAN

May 17, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Solid Snake made the Stealth Genre and still has the best bosses in videogame history.
The Sephiroth Fanclub would like a word with you.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
HardRockSamurai said:
Sure, why not? Hell, if Solid Snake's allowed in the game, then ANYONE should be allowed in!
Solid Snake made the Stealth Genre and still has the best bosses in videogame history. This guy, not so much on either level.

He also has an eyepatch and a mullet.
Oh come on now :)

You don't have to be a revolutionary figure in gaming in order to be a Smash Bros character; how else did the Ice Climbers get a spot?

Besides, No More Heroes is one of the Wii's highest regarded third party game. If anyone gets a spot, it would have to be Travis.

hagaya

Sep 1, 2008
PS2MAN said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Solid Snake made the Stealth Genre and still has the best bosses in videogame history.
The Sephiroth Fanclub would like a word with you.
A turn-based RPG can have no compelling bosses because it boils down to use your best attacks when your turn comes round and heal whenever he attacks you. Meanwhile MGS had a boss that took data from your memory card and used it to mess with you, made you switch controller ports, and just overall used the playstation as an element to the fight.

Travis has only been in one game, but it's a fucking awesome one, and he deserves a spot in the Smash Bros series.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
HardRockSamurai said:
Sure, why not? Hell, if Solid Snake's allowed in the game, then ANYONE should be allowed in!
Solid Snake made the Stealth Genre and still has the best bosses in videogame history. This guy, not so much on either level.

You don't have to be a revolutionary figure in gaming in order to be a Smash Bros character; how else did the Ice Climbers get a spot?

Besides, No More Heroes is one of the Wii's highest regarded third party game. If anyone gets a spot, it would have to be Travis.
Ice Climbers rule! I won't have you say a bad word about those legends.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
HardRockSamurai said:

Ice Climbers are made by nintendo, only reason they got in.