Mythic Will Help With Star Wars: The Old Republic

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Mythic Will Help With Star Wars: The Old Republic

BioWare will enlist the help of their new partners Mythic Entertainment in the development of their upcoming MMOG, Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The recently established partnership between BioWare and Warhammer Online developers Mythic Entertainment is already starting to bear fruit, with BioWare revealing that the Mythic team will be helping BioWare's Austin branch with the development of their upcoming MMOG, Star Wars: The Old Republic. And as Mythic shares with BioWare, BioWare will in turn do the same for Mythic.

"We've both played Warhammer, and actually I've still been playing it on and off for a while, so I think for us it's not so much a popularity boost as just the fact that we can probably bring perspectives to the table that will be new and perhaps helpful to the guys from Mythic in the same way from an online perspective they can certainly share with us," BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bioware-mythic-will-help-star-wars-mmo].

That's not to suggest that BioWare Austin are struggling and in desperate need of assistance from MMOG vets, however. "To give credit to the Austin team, we have a number of serious MMO veterans on there, so it's certainly not neophytes, but there's absolutely opportunities to share and learn things back and forth," Zeschuk explained.

Though there have been drastic changes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92642-BioWare-and-Mythic-Merge-Mark-Jacobs-Leaves] at Mythic as a result of the merger (for lack of a better term), BioWare believes that the order of operations won't really be morphing too much. The two studios, both being under the Electronic Arts umbrella, have already been sharing information before this, according to Zeschuk. "We'll just continue what we're doing, which is actually sharing technology ideas," he said.

As for how Mythic will operate on its own, Zeschuk sees the company as remaining very much an independent force, not unlike BioWare Austin, which he describes as managing their own internal processes, and running "it like a BioWare studio, but in the Austin vision." Mythic will continue to pursue their own goals, while Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka will be managing the entire group, making sure "all the sharing is happening and everyone's supported and getting the resources they need." Aww. Just like one big RPG developing family.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Strange. I'm not sure what to make of this. I'll just have to wait and see.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Hopefully it will turn out good. I have high expectations for this game.

Ridonculous_Ninja

Apr 15, 2009
Tenmar said:
Cmon 3 sided conflict in an MMO! Don't need this boring 1v1 sided conflict.
Who would the third side be in the Star Wars universe though, it's light side vs dark side and both sides also using near neutrals so neutral couldn't be its own side.

You would have to have civilian or animal as a class for a third side, and that wouldn't really work. >.>

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
Ridonculous_Ninja said:
Tenmar said:
Who would the third side be in the Star Wars universe though, it's light side vs dark side and both sides also using near neutrals so neutral couldn't be its own side.

You would have to have civilian or animal as a class for a third side, and that wouldn't really work. >.>
The smugglers and the syndicate. A non-force related side would be interesting, with their inability to beat a Jedi or Sith in a fair fight they have to use their brains to solve problems.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
black lincon said:
Ridonculous_Ninja said:
Tenmar said:

The smugglers and the syndicate. A non-force related side would be interesting, with their inability to beat a Jedi or Sith in a fair fight they have to use their brains to solve problems.
Smuggler is already the republic class, so that one certainly wouldn't work. And while I'd love to see them implement something like a 3rd faction, I think they've already made it pretty clear that there will be quite the lack of depth involved with this game, aside from the single-player-like experience.

Feb 13, 2008
Having seen what they did to SW, I've no hopes whatsoever. It may be pretty but it's gonna have Lucas-stench all over it; which means kiddified everything and more bugs than the feast at Pankot Palace.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I generally am quite sceptical about MMOG's... we shall see how good it is soon I guess.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Oh how I wish they had just made the third kotor instead of creating another contender to try and compete with WoW.

Chris22533

Apr 21, 2009
black lincon said:
Ridonculous_Ninja said:
Tenmar said:

But since this takes place in the old republic era you have to take into account that they have the lost technologies that allow them to fight on the same level as a Jedi/Sith. Or at least that is how Bioware explained it with KOTOR2.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Guess Warhammer is dying, leaving Mythic free to screw this up too. Getting help from experienced MMO designers is good, if the experience isn't making a failed game. At least they can throw a script for Indy 5 in a closet, then when George goes in after it, lock the closet, nail it shut, weld a steel plate over it and then nuke it.
This doesn't bode well.

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
Well there goes another MMO. Fucking Mythic, die.

What's next to look forward? - only thing I can recall in the unannounced Blizzard project.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Guess Warhammer is dying, leaving Mythic free to screw this up too. Getting help from experienced MMO designers is good, if the experience isn't making a failed game. At least they can throw a script for Indy 5 in a closet, then when George goes in after it, lock the closet, nail it shut, weld a steel plate over it and then nuke it.
This doesn't bode well.
Just hope they don't put the script in a fridge first.