New Mechwarrior Confirmed - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Mechwarrior Confirmed - UPDATED

The rumors are true: There's a new Mechwarrior game coming and these are your daddy's mechs.

A nine-second teaser that Battletech [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92962-New-Mechwarrior-Game-Rumored] creator FASA. And it may just be the answer to many an old-time mech pilot's prayers.

The new game will not be Mechwarrior 5 but will instead simply be Mechwarrior, a "reboot" of the classic gaming series that takes place in the closing years of the Third Succession War [http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Third_Succession_War]. In the year 3015, the forces of the Draconis Combine launch a massive assault against the planet Deshler, killing the family of slacker nobleman Adrian Khol; as Khol, players must take up the mantle of a mechwarrior, battling the Kuritan forces to free his planet and avenge his family.

Okay, it might not be the most original story ever conceived, but this is the Third Succession War, the classic pre-Clans Battletech era in which the five Great Houses happily beat each other into the stone age, struggling not just for territory but for salvage, for equipment and technology they desperately needed but could no longer produce themselves. Just as exciting is the apparent return of mechs appropriate for the era: The new and much longer promotional video [http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/18954/mech-warrior-project/videos/mechwarrior_trl_phoenix_70709.html] features a Jenner, a Warhammer and a big, bad Atlas.

Speaking to IGN [http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002275p1.html], Weisman and Piranha Games President Russ Bullock said they want to take advantage of current computing technology to properly simulate large, dynamic battlefields crawling with giant robots. In the same vein, they also want to incorporate roles for every class of mech rather than simply making it a race to the heaviest hitters in the game as previous titles tended to be. Players who stick with a single model of mech will gain experience and become increasingly proficient with it; the game will be winnable with any class of mech and will change based on the class chosen, encouraging multiple play-throughs.

Which mechs will be included in the game has not yet been revealed and no release schedule has been set, but the game is currently being developed for the PC and Xbox 360 [http://www.xbox.com]. You better believe we'll be keeping our eyes on this one.

UPDATE: It just keeps getting better. While we wait for Mechwarrior, Smith & Tinker has decided to mark the 25th anniversary of Battletech by giving away Mechwarrior 4 and its expansions. The free game package will be available for download soon at Battletech.com [http://www.mektek.net/].

Thanks to Ralackk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Ralackk] for the heads-up.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Cries of joy to be heard in 3......2...........1.............

.......by other people, not me, I have yet to play a Mechwarrior game.

Oh alright, I'll have a little "yay!" on my part"

YAY!

[sup]*though since it's apparantly not being developed for PS3, I may have to retract that yay :'(*[/sup]

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
oh gawd. the lil mech nerd in me that I do my best to suppress has just escaped & creamed all over my keyboard.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I didn't know that FASA was still using all their "rip-off" mech designs...

Ah well, could be fun, I like the universe even if I find the mechs themselves a little bland.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mmm, giant robots.

On the other hand, I kind of feel ashamed to admit that overexposure to mecha anime has spoiled me, speed-wise. These guys just feel sooo slooooooow. :(

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I almost shit my pants... A new Mechwarrior game for me is just what the Doctor ordered.... and at such an interesting time too! I'm rekindling my interest in BattleTech/Mechwarrior recently!

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
That my friend is how giant robots should fight, damn you Transformers! Nothing for the PS3 though? Surprising...

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
This is not as exciting as my hope for a MMO style MW (Something in the line of EVE) But if they actually look and feel as fun to controll as I hope. (Joystick) Then I can get excited.

So..... timberwolf. Or is that a clan exclusive?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Jumplion said:
Cries of joy to be heard in 3......2...........1.............

.......by other people, not me, I have yet to play a Mechwarrior game.

Oh alright, I'll have a little "yay!" on my part"

YAY!

[sup]*though since it's apparantly not being developed for PS3, I may have to retract that yay :'(*[/sup]
I admit I have never played Mechwarriors either, but this will be a good chance for newbies to play without suffering the problems with finding older games and installing them...

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
PedroSteckecilo said:
I didn't know that FASA was still using all their "rip-off" mech designs...

Ah well, could be fun, I like the universe even if I find the mechs themselves a little bland.
Catalyst Game Labs(who published the Battletech table top) acquired the rights to use those images again. With the appearance of the Warhammer in the trailer I can only assume that means that they do as well.

Croaker42 said:
This is not as exciting as my hope for a MMO style MW (Something in the line of EVE) But if they actually look and feel as fun to controll as I hope. (Joystick) Then I can get excited.

So..... timberwolf. Or is that a clan exclusive?
I can see them maybe including the clan mechs in multiplayer, but the single player setting will make it extremely unlikely to see any.

ZapperX

May 1, 2009
I've never even heard of this series... But the footage looks pretty awesome. I'll be getting myself a copy when this comes out.

seule

Jul 21, 2008
ZapperX said:
I've never even heard of this series... But the footage looks pretty awesome. I'll be getting myself a copy when this comes out.
Mechwarrior should slot into gaming lore as much as anything else from the late 90s. Big Robots, big guns, big explosions, big fun.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
*ahem*

[HEADING=1]YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!![/HEADING]

I nearly shit bricks when that Atlas appeared out of thin air.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
That my friend is how giant robots should fight, damn you Transformers! Nothing for the PS3 though? Surprising...
IT'S A CONSIPAHRYCY!#@$! M$ PAYED DEM 2 DU EET!@#!

Bleh, a part of me hopes it's a timed "exclusive" (I use that term loosely since it's on PC as well) but then the other part doesn't care enough.

Oh well.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Allegiance: Steiner

You little clanners are so going to get toast ... oh oh ... what's that sound? LRMS? OH NOES!!!