Modern Warfare 2 Re-Adopts Call of Duty Brand

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Modern Warfare 2 Re-Adopts Call of Duty Brand

Modern Warfare 2 seems to have settled its identity crisis, as official photos of the game's box art reveal that the game has reacquired the "Call of Duty" brand name after giving it the heave ho some months ago.

"S**t just got real," Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling recently declared on his that immortal line [http://twitter.com/fourzerotwo] from Bad Boys II, I have to say that I respectfully disagree. S**t did not just get real, it just got more confusing. See, above the Modern Warfare 2 logo on the box is, you guessed it, the Call of Duty logo.

Modern Warfare 2 once ditched the Call of Duty prefix to fly solo, a subtitle now a title and brand name of its own. "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" suggested a brand lineage Activision supposedly didn't want attached to this new self-sustaining franchise. But after reports revealed that consumer awareness of the game dropped dramatically [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92655-Modern-Warfare-2-Awareness-Dips-Without-Call-of-Duty-Name] after the Call of Duty bit was dropped, it appears that Activision has done another U-turn.

So is it Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 or just Modern Warfare 2? Maybe we should just whisper the Call of Duty part but shout out and put special stress on the Modern Warfare 2 part when we're saying the game of the game out loud. "Excuse me, sir, I'd like to buy callofduty MODERN WARFARE 2 please," you'll say at GameStop later this year.

The thing I noticed is that the Call of Duty logo is especially small, with the Modern Warfare 2 bit especially big, by comparison. Which suggests that Activision wants to stress the Modern Warfare 2 end of the equation more than the CoD part, but are aware that yeah, it's not enough on its own. Ah well. If Modern Warfare really becomes a brand of its own, it'll look back on these times as its awkward growing pains.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I said it way back when and I'll say it again, Call of Duty is Infinity Ward's brand. They created it so they should use it. CoD:MW2 or MW2, as long as the gameplay is the same, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
thats just stupid, now the Call of Duty part looks tact on and a bit silly. I prefered it when they removed the Call of Duty name.

Make up your mind Activision!

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
It's not the fact that the call of duty logo is small. It's the fact that it doesn't fit. It doesn't blend well. But yeah I heard about this and Some people were thinking with out the call of duty part on it that the game might choke a little. So I hope that they fix the title.

Salem_Wolf

Jul 9, 2009
It's still COD6, I don't care if they call it War in Present: Honor of Duty...my friends and I will still call if COD6, just like World at War was COD5. Modern Warfare 2 or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, I don't care, it's just another FPS game, unfortunately I'll be picking it up because it's all my friends will be playing when it comes out.

Conveant0

Feb 4, 2009
They've (Activision) have it made eitherway, the golden brand name that is Call of Duty or create their own title, with the awesome design that was used in Modern Warfare 1.
It won't affect gameplay, so why should this matter to us mere mortals?

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I'm confused, we're confused, and I'm pretty sure Activision is confused. It seems like Activision wants to seperate from the COD name, but at the last minute they get scared to be going off all alone and scramble back for it.

If they do end up keeping the COD part, it's probably a decision made just to sell as many copies as possible. Having the name of the successful series on there has got to be good for business.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I assume this is due to that public poll that displayed negative results regarding the publics awareness that Modern Warfare 2 was a sequel to COD4. This was a clever money-making move on Activition's part, and although I fully dislike the box art, I'm glad they've finally decided on a name...

Now if only they'd give us some more details regarding the actual gameplay...

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
That Call of Duty title looks like they just photoshopped it onto an existing box. Anyway, as long as it's as good as/better than COD4 i'll be happy.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
D_987 said:
I assume this is due to that public poll that displayed negative results regarding the publics awareness that Modern Warfare 2 was a sequel to COD4. This was a clever money-making move on Activition's part, and although I fully dislike the box art, I'm glad they've finally decided on a name...

Have you played Call of Duty 4? Well, pretty much the exact same gameplay will be in MW2.

On topic, how BLOODY STUPID can people get? Consumer awareness of one of the biggest releases dropped when they dropped the CoD name? You need a special kind of idiot for that sort of thing to happen.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Clashero said:
D_987 said:

Have you played Call of Duty 4? Well, pretty much the exact same gameplay will be in MW2.
I'm sure there will be some changes, I was thinking more to do with multi-player; as I will be disappointed if they stick to the awful system used in CoD4.

Apr 6, 2009
D_987 said:
Clashero said:
D_987 said:

I'm sure there will be some changes, I was thinking more to do with multi-player; as I will be disappointed if they stick to the awful system used in CoD4.
And what was wrong with the persistent ranking system of 4?

Deadpool062

Jul 9, 2008
Salem_Wolf said:
It's still COD6, I don't care if they call it War in Present: Honor of Duty...my friends and I will still call if COD6, just like World at War was COD5. Modern Warfare 2 or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, I don't care, it's just another FPS game, unfortunately I'll be picking it up because it's all my friends will be playing when it comes out.
callofduty MODERN WARFARE 2 isnt COD 6, neither was COD World At War COD 5.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
D_987 said:
Clashero said:
D_987 said:

I rather liked CoD 4's system. Even though some of the perks were pretty unbalanced or downright annoying if you had friendly fire on (Martyrdom, the grenade launcher), it gave you a very tangible incentive to play ("OK, 10 more kills with the Dragunov until I get the ACOG sight"). I think it was done better in WaW, where the the best all-around weapons were available from the start, and you only got more specialized weapons as you leveled up, which allowed a level 1 skilled player to beat a level 65 relative newbie.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
DriveByLawsuit said:
And what was wrong with the persistent ranking system of 4?
It benefited those that played for long periods, not those that were genuinely good at the game. It also over-powered said higher levels. There was also no point in prestiging as no additional benefits were gained.

I was talking more about the mechanics. The whole, automatic claymores, the helicopters and the hit detection need to be re-vamped.

Salem_Wolf

Jul 9, 2009
Keenanr1234 said:
Salem_Wolf said:
callofduty MODERN WARFARE 2 isnt COD 6, neither was COD World At War COD 5.
Technically, no. But most of the people I know call it that, and that's what we're still calling it.

Dunn159

Jul 3, 2009
I suppose its a good thing. If this game is going to be as successful as they say it will Activision will want the Call Of Duty franchise on it to keep it alive!