Activision Confirms 24 Guitar Hero 5 Tracks

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Activision Confirms 24 Guitar Hero 5 Tracks

Activision announced 24 of the 85 songs featured in Guitar Hero 5 today, revealing a little bit of something for everyone, from the hipsters to the Britpoppers to the classic rockers and uh, whatever you call people who like Coldplay.

At what point can you have too many damn songs in a music game? Guitar Hero 5 boasts a whopping 85 tracks, and, unsurprisingly, with that many tunes, there's gotta be something in the game for musical tastes of any inclination. Activision's PR arm says that Guitar Hero 5 has "variety of today's rock hits and classic tunes from some of the biggest names in music," and yes, there sure is variety here, provided you're talking about pop music with guitars in it.

There are so many songs here that it's not fair to choose to mention any few in particular and expect everyone to care about them, so I'll just make note of a few of the ones I'll be looking forward to playing and then post the list.

Kings of Leon's "A-Punk [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHhhcKxflMY]." And Elliott Smith seems like a surprising choice for a party game considering how somber and introspective his music is, but hey, why not.

Band Of Horses - "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands"
Beastie Boys - "Gratitude"
Beck - "Gamma Ray"
Billy Squier - "Lonely Is The Night"
Blur - "Song 2"
Bob Dylan - "All Along The Watchtower"
Children Of Bodom - "Done With Everything, Die For Nothing"
Coldplay - "In My Place"
Darkest Hour - "Demon(s)"
David Bowie - "Fame"
Deep Purple - "Woman From Tokyo ('99 Remix)"
Elliott Smith - "L.A."
Iggy Pop - "Lust For Life (Live)"
Jeff Beck - "Scatterbrain (Live)"
John Mellencamp - "Hurts So Good"
John Funk - "Is Bad at Street Fighter"
Kings Of Leon - "Sex On Fire"
Queens Of The Stone Age - "Make It Wit Chu"
Rose Hill Drive - "Sneak Out"
Santana - "No One To Depend On (Live)"
The Bronx - "Six Days A Week"
Thrice - "Deadbolt"
Tom Petty - "Runnin' Down A Dream"
Vampire Weekend - "A-Punk"
Wolfmother - "Back Round"

Which of these songs are you looking forward to playing?

Resistance205

Jun 3, 2008
For me it's gonna be Band Of Horses and Bob Dylan. Hell, the only reason I am thinking about buying the game is because I love Band Of Horses, and All Along The Watchtower thanks to Battlestar!

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
CoB will be one of the hardest to play and Blur will be the most fun.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
John Funk- Is Bad at Street Fighter

Ouch, Keane, you don't have to rub it in on him. No need for an inflated ego just because you won the SF4 tourney.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Thanks for the Blur, Bodom and Dylan Activision. I'm actually pretty convinced that "A-Punk" will be a fun song, even though it's one of the preppiest songs in the world.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
hopeneverdies said:
John Funk- Is Bad at Street Fighter

Ouch, Keane, you don't have to rub it in on him. No need for an inflated ego just because you won the SF4 tourney.
I'm not the only that sees it? Thank god...

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Of all the songs they could choose from Queens of the Stone Age that would be really fun to play, they had to go with Make It Wit Chu? Why?
Not that it's a bad song, it just doesn't seem right for GH.

Deep Purple's Woman From Tokyo is good news though. I was hoping for that song to appear in a game for a long time now.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
Resistance205 said:
For me it's gonna be Band Of Horses and Bob Dylan. Hell, the only reason I am thinking about buying the game is because I love Band Of Horses, and All Along The Watchtower thanks to Battlestar!
But it's the Dylan version of All Along the Watchtower, meaning that you are just going to be playing the same three chords for seven minutes. Don't get me wrong, I love the song, but the Hendrix version would be more fun to play on Guitar Hero.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Which of these songs are you looking forward to playing?
I think "Is Bad at Street Fighter" will probably be my favourite. It has a bit of slow intro that doesn't really signpost where its going, but once those crashing guitar chords come in, you know you're in for a good time. The bass solo is also nuts, and compliments the vocal scatting perfectly.

So yeah, I can't wait for that.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
XxNoMercyxX said:
This game is going to suck
God yes. They better chuck some better stuff in...
Yeah, so far not imprssed. Went through the list and found myself most excited for John Mellencamp's "Hurts So Good" and then began to cry inside.

Well, Blur's "Song 2" might end up being fun to play.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
There's NOTHING on that track list that's worth playing. It looks like a list of b-sides from bands I've never heard of. (I have heard of some of them, using hyperbole for effect here.)

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
It's a good list. Expecially Blur's Song 2. That should have been in there from waay at the beginning.

I also saw the John Funk bit :)

Resistance205

Jun 3, 2008
m_jim said:
Resistance205 said:
But it's the Dylan version of All Along the Watchtower, meaning that you are just going to be playing the same three chords for seven minutes. Don't get me wrong, I love the song, but the Hendrix version would be more fun to play on Guitar Hero.
I know, but it's the original, I will admit the Hendrix version would have been cooler, but still.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
m_jim said:
Resistance205 said:
Agreed.
Even Dylan himself said the Hendrix version was better.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
Though "Fame" is one of my least favorite Bowie songs, that should still be pretty good. "Sex on Fire" and "All Along the Watchtower" should also be solid despite preference towards Hendrix's version; and I don't see how far wrong you go with Santana as far as a game playing guitar goes.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
You know what would've been a great Elliot Smith song? "Baby Britain"

I'm looking forward to Band of Horses, Bob Dylan, and Vampire Weekend.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
song 2 should be fun...

but that whole list just feel meh to me...