The ESRB Struggles to Describe Scribblenauts

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The ESRB Struggles to Describe Scribblenauts

The ESRB can tell you that Scribblenauts is adequate for everyone over the age of 10, but they seem to be having a hard time describing 5th Cell's innovative puzzler without sounding completely ridiculous.

Considering Scribblenauts is a game that's based so much around language [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92458-The-Secret-of-Scribblenauts], it's ironic that words often seem to fail us when it comes time to describe 5th Cell's puzzler, which lets players conjure and use tens of thousands of objects and things simply by typing in the words for them.

That's what happened to the ESRB. They don't have any problem with the nature of the game (there aren't any vulgar words or terms in its huge database), having given it a kid-friendly Everyone 10+ rating, but they do seem to have a problem describing the game's "cartoon violence" and "comic mischief" without sounding totally absurd.

"If multiple words are entered in a sequence, different whimsical scenarios can be triggered: a bicycle can be used to jump over a baby; a bulldozer can clear away a shark; and cabbage can be fed to dinosaurs," the ESRB's rating summary [http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=26980] reads. "Players can elect to summon 'cartoony' versions of bats, bombs, guns, and flamethrowers. These types of items can be used to destroy objects or even other summoned items (e.g., a club can be used to hit an animal; steak can be attached to a baby to attract lions; rockets can be lobbed at a man)."

Steak can be attached to a baby to attract lions? Rockets can be lobbed at a man? Usually the ESRB's sterile way of describing questionable content in a game is worth a chuckle, but this is just ridiculous. Here's the board's final warning on the game: "If players wish to, they may type in the word vomit, which causes a beige-colored lump to appear on the screen."

Watch out for those beige-colored lumps, kids. If you're under the age of 10, you shouldn't be playing with them. Or attaching steaks to babies to attract lions either.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
This game is the single most awesome idea ever devised. The gameplay trailer is so awesome. I'm going to get this game, just for the sheer fact you can go back in time and ride a dinosaur.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
This game looks like the one reason I'd dust off my DS.
Awesome.

And, more on topic: Oh you crazy ESRB guys. You know they were probably laughing when they wrote it. Unless it was written by that stuffy old woman who works there. You know, the woman who is uptight and angry all the time, but secretly yearns to live care-free? Then she meets Jack black who turns her life upside down, they start a punk band, and she crowd surfs until the fade-out and credits.

Aaaaaaaand SCENE!

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
This is probably going to be a day-one purchase for me. Seriously, this is looking to be the most innovative title in a good while, and will most likely be in the running for DS Game of the Year.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
Within a month or two we'll get American kids attaching meat to children to attract lions, you mark my words. These videogames warp young minds

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
orannis62 said:
Awesome. You know, Adam Sessler said he saw someone type in "Cthulu" and it worked.
You can see it yourself. It's in the E3 trailer. (Look on IGN)

Dirty Apple said:
I don't get it. Is there an objective to the game or is it just sandbox mayhem?
From the trailers, I surmise that you have to collect stars from various places. (Up a tree, down a well, whatever.) But the fun mostly comes from using your imagination to solve said puzzles.

I actually bought a DS the other day, simply because this game looks so awesome. Day 1 purchase for me! (That reminds me - I should reserve a copy.)

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Ive been waiting for this game for months now.

it has just about everything...and apparently, everything works like its supposed to. Guns shoot, Monsters eat, bombs explode, if you give a lumberjack an axe he will go cut down trees etc.

Im gonna give myself a bowie knife, then make a jungle with loads of dangers and traps and holes and monsters, and place the odd gun or stick here and there for me to find, then totally rambo out.

If you spawn a 'villain' then a full moon, the villain will turn into a werewolf.

HIGH FIEVZ!

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
Dirty Apple said:
I don't get it. Is there an objective to the game or is it just sandbox mayhem?
There are puzzles; you have to get the star in each level to go on to the next. But how you do that is up to you.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
My mind cannot fathom how much I want this game.

MaxTheReaper said:
orannis62 said:
Awesome. You know, Adam Sessler said he saw someone type in "Cthulu" and it worked.
I can't wait until people start going mad playing this game.

If only it was on PC too...I can't justify buying a DS even for this.
Heh. "Hey, how do you spell Azath-*insane rambling.*"

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Be quite hard to rate this, because the level of violence etc. is completely dependant on the player. And we should be able to see if naturally violent people gravitate towards violent video games based on the content of the world they create.

Oh and I really want this

bombchu

Jul 7, 2009
This is going to be the first game I'll buy in a looooong time. <3 I'll totally time-travel dinosaur-ride all the time!

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Looks like they were trying to describe the most violent or offensive content in the game for their warning (which makes a certain amount of sense -- a reasonable answer to "how 'bad' is this game" would be "well, this is the 'worst' it gets").

The problem is, with this game, the possibilities are so random and varying depending on the input the player gives it, that they were trying to reflect that in their description.

Also sounds like they asked their 8-year-old testing group, "What's the worst thing you did in this game?"

"Ooh, one time, I took a club, and I hit a dog with it!"
"Oh yeah? One time, see, one time, I made a rocket launcher, and I blew up this one guy? Yeah, that was cool."
"Well, see, this one time, Randy Beaman typed in the word 'steak', and then he put the steak on a baby, and then this lion came and ate the baby up. K bye."