Firefly Star Nathan Fillion Talks Halo 3: ODST Role

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Firefly Star Nathan Fillion Talks Halo 3: ODST Role

Firefly and Dr. Horrible star Nathan Fillion is the voice of Sgt. Buck in Halo 3: ODST, but he doesn't just act in videogames, he plays them, too.

When Halo 3: ODST ships this fall, players will have the pleasure of having orders barked at them by the gruff but romantic Sgt. Buck, voiced by none other than Firefly star and all around mega dreamboat Nathan Fillion.

Though the Halo series has a history of hiring top-tier voice talent (remember Arrested Development's David Cross and his comedic turn as a generic Marine in Halo 2?), few of them are probably as passionate about the franchise, and gaming in general, as Mr. Fillion.

Yes, as he revealed in an MSNBC interview on his role in ODST, the man loves videogames, just like you. Commence your swooning, ladies. "For me, first of all [Halo]'s a fantastic game," Fillion said. "I really enjoy it. It really works for me."

What "works" for Fillion is probably what works for the millions of other gamers who love the series - killing aliens, saving the world, etc - but there's another side of Halo that Fillion appreciates. "At the same time, it allows me access to friends of mine that are back in Canada, all over the United States, New York...even just Venice Beach, if I want to hang out with my buddy and just debrief, talk about our day, just do it in Halo."

Of course this means that Nathan Fillion is on Xbox Live. So yes, it is entirely possible that you may have killed Captain Malcolm Reynolds [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Reynolds] at some point online, or that you could sometime in the future. In fact, Fillion has been almost recognized before, when an Xbox Live teammate told him that "it's really weird that you sound like Nathan Fillion," to which Fillion responded: "Isn't it weird that you know what Nathan Fillion sounds like?"

Check out the full MSNBC video [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30501433/vp/31714988#31714988] for more on ODST and a full three minutes of being able to just sort of stare into Nathan Fillion's eyes...they're so deep, you just lose yourself in them.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I like Nathan Fillon. Its cool that he's in the game. But now, I want to start hunting for him in xbox live.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Let's see...talented, charming, funny, looks fantastic in a tight pair of pants, has a smile that can melt snow AND he's a gamer?

Yeah, that's perfection, that is.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Let's see...talented, charming, funny, looks fantastic in a tight pair of pants, has a smile that can melt snow AND he's a gamer?

Please stop you're embarass... oh you mean Nathan.

Anyway moving on

Pretty awesome news he's in ODST. Firefly and Halo, going to be a few happy fanboys

EDIT; Grammar

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
I think I want to start playing Halo online now... although I doubt his Gamertag is something like 'xXxCptnOfSrnty47xXx'.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
MaxChaos said:
I think I want to start playing Halo online now... although I doubt his Gamertag is something like 'xXxCptnOfSrnty47xXx'.
Duh. It's obviously XxCapnTightpants69xX

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
I'm probably going to have some fun with this game when it comes out. I'm afraid I won't meet mr Fillion online though. I'm not much of an online player.

But yes, I will indubitably follow any orders given to me by Captain Reynolds.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Keane! You could've got a prettier picture of Mr. Fillion! He's looking a little bit rough there :(

I may buy a 360 and Halo whatever it is for him.

Keane Ng said:
In fact, Fillion has been almost recognized before, when an Xbox Live teammate told him that "it's really weird that you sound like Nathan Fillion," to which Fillion responded: "Isn't it weird that you know what Nathan Fillion sounds like?"
Best quote in a long time.

I also want that guy to read this and realise he met Captain Malcolm Reynolds on XBOX Live.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
scnj said:
MaxChaos said:
Duh. It's obviously XxCapnTightpants69xX
It's so obvious as to be brilliant, not to meniont plausible.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
It's worth mentioning that also lending their voices to the game are Adam Baldwin(Jayne) and Alan Tudyk(Wash). Alan Tudyk is only rumored, but it defiantly sounds like him in the trailer.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Slycne said:
It's worth mentioning that also lending their voices to the game are Adam Baldwin(Jayne) and Alan Tudyk(Wash). Alan Tudyk is only rumored, but it defiantly sounds like him in the trailer.
I am buying this game. All we need now is Jewel Staite to voice something.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Keane! You could've got a prettier picture of Mr. Fillion! He's looking a little bit rough there :(
I knew that if I had a picture of him that was too good, computer monitors would be melting all over the world because he's just that damn hot.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Slycne said:
I'm not too shocked actually, since they all did voices in Halo 2.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I knew that if I had a picture of him that was too good, computer monitors would be melting all over the world because he's just that damn hot.
Mine has already started. Now I must find a picture of someone that's ugly enough to stop the melting process.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Mine managed to survive google searching him. I'll spoiler this lovely one in case it melts your monitor.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Slycne said:
Tudyk did voice work in Halo 3 ("Tank beats Ghost!") and, er, "blabbed" at Comicon (last year?) that he'd done more work with Fillion and Baldwin for Bungie... chalk him up as "highly probable". I'd say "certain" myself, but I don't have to defend my opinions to an editor. *grin*

-- Steve

edited to add:
Susan Arendt said:

Alas (for the ladies, and sundry others), in the July 7th edition of the Bungie Podcast Mr. Fillion talks of his girlfriend. The girlfriend who accompanied him on a studio tour, watched him play ODST, made him rum&cokes while he played, etc.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Will he be singing again?

Captain Hammer was his greatest role to date.

Or at least I found it entertaining.

If you are one of the few people on the planet who does not know what I am talking about, grab a soda, click the link below, and prepare for 45 minutes of pure awesome!

http://www.drhorrible.com/mushortio.html