Make Your Halo 3 Screenshots Into Fine Art

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Make Your Halo 3 Screenshots Into Fine Art

If you feel like commemorating that really awesome headshot from the last night's Halo 3 session the classy way, haloscreenshots.com takes your Halo 3 screens and turns them into "fine art products" on high quality paper or canvas.

At the peak of my Halo 3 obsession way back when, I became obsessed with the game's screenshot capture and upload tool. I would take screens of all my favorite kills and moments, and use them as desktop wallpapers on my computer, my roommate's computer, my girlfriend's computer, every computer in the public library.

I wish haloscreenshots [http://www.haloscreenshots.com/index.php], a service run by The Global Art Group in collaboration with Bungie and Microsoft, had existed back then, because then I could have really taken it to the next level. The service takes your custom Halo 3 screens, gussies them up with professional tools and then turns them into fine art products ready to be hung in a gallery, or, at least, your living room.

Don't think this is some amateur operation. You're not going to get the same results by printing out your screens on your crummy printer at home. Haloscreenshots will give your "Portrait of a Double Kill" some serious artistic treatment: After you submit your image (you just click the "buy print" option from your bungie.net gallery), the screen goes through some professional filtering process performed by designers, after which it's reproduced as a "giclée," which is "a high-resolution, high-quality reproduction individually printed on a special large format printer." Fancée.

You can get your screenshot (framed or unframed) as a paper print (made from "premium fine art grade substrates"), or even on a canvas. The ink used to make the pictures supposedly is the "largest color gamut of any commercial ink ever developed" and won't fade for an entire century, so your legacy as a Halo superstar can last into the 2100s.

So yes, this is no joke. And I have to say, some of the featured images [http://www.haloscreenshots.com/featured_collections.php] on the site, which you can get printed out instead of your own if you like, look pretty damn cool, and not just in a "this is overwrought fan art of a Spartan looking badass" kind of way. Prices range from $16.99 for an unframed print to $119.99 for a framed canvas, with varying prices in between.

[Via offworld [http://www.offworld.com/2009/07/master-piece-turn-your-halo-3.html]]

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Damn, if only I saved a screenshot of my killtastrophe. I could've lived the glory every day I walked into my dorm room! But honestly, why would someone pay $120 for a screenshot of Halo? Anyone with photoshop(and some experience in it) could make a screenshot look very nice , and you could buy a $20 frame to put it in.

Akio

May 14, 2009
Can't knock them for giving people the option to do something like this. Heck, back in the day I wouldn't have hesitated to get a cheap print. Not a bad idea.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
This is bizarrely cool, a bit of me says it really shouldn't be, but another is screaming to buy a 360 and Halo 3 just to do this!

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I went on the site to see what they consider "art."

If close-up shots of broken windows, walls, and bubble shields turn you on, go for it. As for me, I'm going to keep my $20.00, convert it into pennies, the fill a kiddie pool with it and roll around in it.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
I'm no HALO fan, but I'd definitely buy into this service.

In fact I just had a fun pixel-art poster framed at a regular store, imagine if I could take game screenshots/art have them framed on a canvas.

It may be expensive, but it the final product justifies the price with its quality, then it might well be worth it.

Nevertheless...I don't play Halo and I live in Brazil. I'll consider it once they start taking international orders for other games.

Cpt Morgan

Jun 26, 2009
If you could get people's gamertags above their heads in the photo, too, then this would be spectacular.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
I'm tempted, but the fact that its Halo is a deal-breaker.
If they would do this for Team Fortress 2, I would even pay 200 dollars to have my screenshot of a sniper being blown to bits turned into a poster and put that on my wall.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
popdafoo said:
Sevre90210 said:
I'm tempted, but the fact that its Halo is a deal-breaker.
If they would do this for Team Fortress 2, I would even pay 200 dollars to have my screenshot of a sniper being blown to bits turned into a poster and put that on my wall.
Yeah I was just thinking how awesome it would be to have a poster of an enemy sniper nailed against the wall with your huntsman or a spy backstabbing a heavy.

LordCraigus

May 21, 2008
I have to say this is pretty cool, not a massive Halo fan myself but I think the theater mode in Halo 3 allowing you to save and share your favourite moments as film or screenshots was very cool and this sort of thing is just the next step.

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
Oh fun. Now they use an 'artwork' angle as an excuse to make money.

It's not artwork. It's a high-res screen cap made more expensive depending on what material you want the image printed on.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
crypt-creature said:
Oh fun. Now they use an 'artwork' angle as an excuse to make money.

It's not artwork. It's a high-res screen cap made more expensive depending on what material you want the image printed on.
If they're making enough money to stay in business, I'd say there are plenty of fans who consider their kills or explosions cool enough to be art. If it isn't really "art" (although who decides this is unknown to me) but they're still turning a buck from it, so much the better for the creators of the site: they've come up with a unique and (probably) easy way to get cash from Halo devotees. Smells like victory.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
HardRockSamurai said:
I went on the site to see what they consider "art."

If close-up shots of broken windows, walls, and bubble shields turn you on, go for it. As for me, I'm going to keep my $20.00, convert it into pennies, the fill a kiddie pool with it and roll around in it.
Is that from South Park?

This seems pretty interesting but I don't need that site to make my spartan look badass.