No More Heroes Will Move To New Platforms

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
No More Heroes Will Move To New Platforms

The next No More Heroes will more than likely not be on the Wii, reckons series creator Suda 51, who thinks the franchise needs to move on in order to truly fulfill its potential.

Good news: Grasshopper Manufacture and all around wild man game designer Goichi "Suda 51" Suda thinks that there's going to be another No More Heroes game. Bad news (depending on where you stand in terms of attachment to Nintendo's console): it will most likely not be on the Wii, where it has stayed exclusive for its (hopefully) first two entries.

Why ditch its heretofore exclusive home, and the only console where a "moving your Wii Remote up and down to power up a laser sword" masturbation joke works on multiple levels? It's because Suda 51 thinks No More Heroes needs to keep growing. "I really want to make NMH a big franchise and with this second episode have bigger success," Suda told EDGE [http://www.edge-online.com/news/no-more-heroes-will-%E2%80%9Cneed-a-new-platform%E2%80%9D]. "I'm putting a lot of care into developing this IP, as I feel there's a lot of potential."

In order to really fulfill that potential, the franchise will have to move on. "I think this is the last NMH that is going to be developed on Wii," Suda said. "To expand NMH to new possibilities, we need a new platform." That's no offense to the Wii, though, which Suda calls a "great platform." The problem is that he feels his team has "done everything we can with it now," so it's time to move on.

Could No More Heroes eventually make its way to the 360 or PS3? HD graphics for the series would certainly be a treat, and now that I think of it, both consoles do have motion controls now that could work for Travis Touchdown's particularly self-satisfying method of "sword recharging." That might be a bit awkward on Natal. For the PlayStation Wand, though? Yeah, that'll do. That'll do.

[Via MTV Multiplayer] [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/07/13/future-no-more-heroes-games-wont-be-on-wii/]

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Seeing as it's Ubisoft, I can suspect that the game will come out for every platform possible... at least, for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. Maybe DS and PSP, but I doubt these ones.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
This is actually pretty cool, I hope it's not Natal exclusive thought. Some aspects may have to be changed like mini quick time events in the sword fights.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
Way to ruin the series...
How is it ruining the series? More cash = more games = more fun for players = more cash and so on.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
On one hand, Suda 51 already expressed deep interest on Microsoft's Natal.

On the other hand, SONY's wand has already gotten sword based gameplay down.

Personally, I hope both sides get it.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
No More Heroes is one of the few games thats any good on the Wii.

I swear, next time I go looking for that thing they'll be so much dust I won't be able to see it.

EDIT: Honestly I don't see why this needs to happen. One of No More Heroes quirks for me is it looks like crap. But maybe thats just me.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Abedeus said:
Assassin Xaero said:
How is it ruining the series? More cash = more games = more fun for players = more cash and so on.
More cash and money doesn't necessarily make a good game. NMH felt awesome with the wiimote, but if Suda takes advantage of Natal and Sony's magic wand ting then they'll be onto a winner, if not then it will probably become a total button basher game.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I don't see what the other consoles will give him since he doesn't have the budget for "HD" graphics anyway. Well, whatever he feels like, auteurs do the strangest things.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Well Christ, even game developers that start on the Wii hate the Wii. But it wont be on the Wii at all? That seems kinda harsh.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
AmrasCalmacil said:
They've done everything they can?
What about Wii Motion Plus?
Or have I missed a point?
A Suda 51 game with good, accurate controls? Never going to happen.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Great news hardcore gamers, now you too can be talked into buying an underdeveloped piece of crap by critics who think minigames based on mowing lawns, pumping gas, and picking up litter are fun.

Really, this game might have been a big hit on the Wii when it was the only game with blood and cursing but pc/ps/xbox gamers are going to think Suda 51 is pants on head retarded if he tries to bring something as tedious and repetitive to their consoles.

And without motion controls, the whole thing will probably be QTEs.

Generator

May 8, 2009
Well, even though I never actually played the first, I can't help but feel that ditching the Wii entirely is a little harsh. Oh well.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Great news hardcore gamers, now you too can be talked into buying an underdeveloped piece of crap by critics who think minigames based on mowing lawns, pumping gas, and picking up litter are fun.

Really, this game might have been a big hit on the Wii when it was the only game with blood and cursing but pc/ps/xbox gamers are going to think Suda 51 is pants on head retarded if he tries to bring something as tedious and repetitive to their consoles.
Huh, I seem to recall a little game called Grand Theft Auto IV selling pretty well on PS3 and 360...

9NineBreaker9

Nov 1, 2007
Transitioning arm flailing to button mashing... at least the latter doesn't develop carpal tunnel as fast.

I'm all for the transition, if only so that I don't have to use the Wiimote to control it... but if I'm going to have to use any other motion sensing tool, I'm out.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Oh Suda51, I never had any respect for you, but now I certainly don't.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Yes, I remember this a few weeks back, I do think there is some nonsense to his words though.

Abedeus said:
Assassin Xaero said:
I'm down for him releasing on new platforms, more people can enjoy the insanity. To be honest, since Desperate Struggle is coming out in 2010, you definitely wouldn't be seeing a sequel until at least 2012-13, at which point I'll probably have a PS360 and the new Nintendo console would most probably be out. It could well end up on Nintendo's successor console, as well as others. We shall see.

AmrasCalmacil said:
They've done everything they can?
What about Wii Motion Plus?
Or have I missed a point?
Exactly my point. All he had to say was he wanted to try out different consoles, expand his horizons, but saying that's all we can do on the Wii, is bull. Motion plus is the main culprit here.

Keane Ng said:
A Suda 51 game with good, accurate controls? Never going to happen.
I see what you did there. You ain't lyin'.

Still, wouldn't kill him to at least try it out, rather than saying that's all they can do with it for now. IGN even asked him if motion plus was going to be in this game, he said he didn't know.

The mind boggles.
GonzoGamer said:

Keane Ng said:
Huh, I seem to recall a little game called Grand Theft Auto IV selling pretty well on PS3 and 360...
I also see what you did there. The thing is, the game is obscure. At least he didn't try and say the game wasn't selling because it was on Wii, because it's a similar story with MadWorld, it's an obscure game with an art style that people either loved or hated.

Stick a NMH double pack on the other consoles and the third will probably sell well enough, though. How much more than the first two we won't know for a few years, but we shall see.