Green Lantern Game Coming With Movie?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Green Lantern Game Coming With Movie?

Green Lantern will finally get a game of his own when Double Helix develops a Green Lantern game to coincide with the upcoming movie starring Ryan Reynolds.

2011 is looking to be the year the Green Lantern finally gets his due. Having played second fiddle to super friends Superman and Batman for too long, the Lantern will have his turn in the spotlight when a VentureBeat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93097-Ryan-Reynolds-to-Play-Green-Lantern].

The Green Lantern game, according to VentureBeat's sources (who are "close to the project"), has been talked about for more than a year now, but development hasn't gotten into high gear until very recently. Maybe this has something to do with the Ryan Reynolds announcement, maybe not.

In any case, the game will mark the superhero's first time ever headlining his own videogame. The character has appeared in numerous Justice League games and most recently in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (in which he was totally overpowered), but has never had a starring role in a game.

Double Helix is best known for developing Silent Hill: Homecoming and are currently working on another beloved geek franchise with G.I. Joe, as well as the recently announced Front Mission Evolved. Warner Bros will be publishing the game.

Good or not, the Green Lantern game should at least fulfill a fantasy surely some of us hold, namely, to be Ryan Reynolds. It's not a bad fantasy to have. I mean, the dude is rich and, more importantly, married to Scarlett Johansson.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
I fairly skeptical of this. I just don't think you could ecompess all of the abilities of the Ring into controller input. Unfortuantly, this will most likely end up as god of war clone.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I like the idea of a Green Lantern movie, but I can't shake the feeling that, somehow, the movie will attribute his mystical powers to technology. Seriously, "super" hero movies should have "super" natural elements, otherwise it's just a story about some rich person armed with lasers.

Best of luck to the movie; don't fuck it up!

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
It is about time The Green Lantern got his own film and shit.
I LOVE Alan Moores work with him.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Please be good please let there be a good green lantern game....actually this would be the first green lantern game wouldn't it.

skcseth

May 25, 2009
I really hope it's not just another "movie game" that gets rushed out along side the release of it's silver screen counterpart.
A Green Lantern game has so much potential. It would be sad to see it all go to waste.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
It'd be awesome to have a similar mechanic to Scribblenauts and be able to create anything with the ring.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Keane Ng said:
In any case, the game will mark the superhero's first time ever headlining his own videogame. The character has appeared in numerous Justice League games and most recently in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (in which he was totally overpowered), but has never had a starring role in a game.
all the dc characters were overpowered, they had some really cheesy moves that were rather cheap

as cool as the game sounds i'm not sure how good it will be and i think the ring's power will be limited in what you can create

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Bland and pointless moviegame merchandising product is assured to accompany movie.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
I like the idea of a Green Lantern movie, but I can't shake the feeling that, somehow, the movie will attribute his mystical powers to technology. Seriously, "super" hero movies should have "super" natural elements, otherwise it's just a story about some rich person armed with lasers.

Best of luck to the movie; don't fuck it up!
Nah, DC still has Superman. Green Lantern movie will still be about Oa and the Guardians. On a side note.

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight, Let All Who Worship Evils Might, Beware My Power Green Lanterns Light!

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
i've never been a really big fan of the comic book but i hope the movie turn out well and i like humor of Ryan in his movies so it could be a good thing... but what about Deadpool???

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
sheic99 said:
I fairly skeptical of this. I just don't think you could ecompess all of the abilities of the Ring into controller input. Unfortuantly, this will most likely end up as god of war clone.
That's how it was with the Wolverine game, and I liked it. It didn't push the envelope, but I thought it was a decent game.

Except for the occasional no-clipping incidents...

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I don't think a game will work very well. A green lantern ring is supposed to react to the user's creative abilities. In a game you can only use the constructs the game gives you. You can't pull out giant dentures, you can't pull out an army of ninjas, and you can't pull out a catapult. The closest thing to a game version of Green Lantern is Scribblenauts.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
If they'd leave the non nerds out of production all these movies would be fantastic.

I hate when assholes with money act like they know more than nerds. Goddamnit these nerds skipped out on getting laid to know this much about Comic books...sure you skipped out on sex for money but that's hardly as great a sacrifice.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Nope Terminator Salvation ruined any hope I had for a decent movie game. Which is quite sad since I played Wolverine and it was alot better than the movie it was based on. I had hope for a little while anyways.