EA Sports President Responds to UFC Outburst

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Sports President Responds to UFC Outburst

UFC [http://www.easports.com] President Dana White with an uncharacteristically Zen-like calm in what could very well be a stealthy attempt to drive the man insane.

White, the outspoken boss of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, is incensed over EA Sports' entry into the mixed martial arts videogame market after rejecting overtures from the UFC about creating a game two years ago. He recently said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93109-UFC-President-Warns-Fighters-Against-EA-Sports-MMA] that EA Sports "doesn't give a [expletive] about mixed martial arts" and that he and the UFC are "at war" with the videogame giant; he also cautioned MMA fighters against taking part in the new game if they wanted a career in the UFC.

But Moore himself is no slouch when it comes to being an outspoken promoter with a proclivity for saying whatever pops into his mind and videogame fans thus awaited his response with bated breath. Surely he would escalate matters further and set in motion an epic clash of the titans that would only be resolved when each man's chosen champion, Brock Lesnar and Will Wright, went toe-to-toe in a bloody Tables, Ladders and Chairs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tables,_Ladders,_and_Chairs_match] match inside a barbed wire cage!

Except it didn't work out that way. Moore did touch on the topic in a blog post, but on this one occasion when we all wanted him to say something wildly inflammatory, he decided to take the high road. "I saw the first playable of he wrote [http://mma.easports.com/].

"I know there has been some recent discussion about EA Sports bringing a challenger to this sport," he continued. "I love mixed martial arts, and we've been working on a game concept since I came to EA two years ago. I have great respect for the organizations and individuals that have invested in the sport's growth over the past decade - so this is one that is near and dear to me and I'm excited to see such good progress to date. I trace my MMA video game roots back to my support of Crave's UFC title on the Dreamcast in 2000 [http://www.mobygames.com/game/dreamcast/ultimate-fighting-championship], and have been a fan ever since. Our title will bring both innovation and further authenticity to mixed martial arts, not to mention a strong global publishing network that will help spread the sport's popularity around the world."

And that's it. No trash talk, no threats, no promises to turn someone's face into pulpy mush with a series of vicious elbow strikes; just an expression of respect and admiration for the sport and a promise that EA's own game will live up to that standard. I was shocked at how dull it was, until the truth hit me: This is clearly all part of a devious effort by Moore to drive the UFC president to apoplexy by refusing to be drawn into battle, thereby denying him an outlet for his perpetually white-hot anger. White's brain will eventually explode, at which point EA will be able to move in on the rudderless fighting promotion, acquiring it as a wholly-owned subsidiary, making millions and putting the screws to THQ in the process.

Well played, sir. Well played.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
"White's brain will eventually explode, at which point EA will be able to move in on the rudderless fighting promotion, acquiring it as a wholly-owned subsidiary, making millions and putting the screws to THQ in the process.

Well played, sir. Well played."

Best line of the day right there.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Oh, burn! He just said he totally respects you and the UFC. Are you going to let him get away with that?

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
wow for someone who loves the sport like he claims he really knows nothing about it. something tells me it is already a world wide sport with organizations in Asia, Europe, South America and North America

so basically EA was lying to the UFC about what they were planning and thinking

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
EA can be rather devious when they want to be, can't they? Well someone's head better explode in rage or it won't be a good week.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Both guys got what they wanted: press. Especially in a medium such as MMA, there's no such thing as bad press. So Dana got a little pissed off...I'd be willing to bet that was a calculated move by him. His UFC game has been doing fairly well, so it's just icing on the cake if he can get some free press and get more people to buy it.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Of course, he didn't really address the point that EA did snub the UFC if white's to be believed.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
What a crock of PR shit.
If White's comments are to be believed, and he really has no reason to lie, then this is just damage control, not the truth. EA ditched the idea, it ended up selling like hot-cakes, and now they want a piece. "Not I, said the Cow."

I'm still siding with White, here. He has no reason to lie, and EA has every reason to lie and BS their way out of this.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Steve Mazzagati our referee for this fight...

Seriously, I think Brock, BJ, GSP, and Forest should walk down to EA and open up a can of whoop ass. Plus, who's going to stop them? Madden? Tiger? The Imperfects? Ha! HA I SAY!

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Baby Tea said:
I'm still siding with White, here. He has no reason to lie, and EA has every reason to lie and BS their way out of this.
BS their way out of what exactly? There really isn't any pressure on them to deny that they turned down the deal with the UFC. The UFC appoached EA with a game idea, EA said no, and now we find out EA is making their own MMA game. Where is the controversy here?

When they thought it wouldn't make them money they said no, now when they think it will make them money they want to make the game. That is Business 101 if you ask me. Were they supposed to just make the game they didn't think would sell anyways just to appease MMA fans and the overly sensitive Mr. White here?

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Just going to be another bi annual release of a newer version of the game now anyway, EA will milk it like every other sports series...to the point that you can't stand the sport anymore, not that I could take much interest in NASCAR (most archaic, redundant, and least technoligically innovative motorsport on the planet...apart from banger racing, but that's fun), MLB, or MBA.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
KSarty said:
Baby Tea said:
BS their way out of what exactly? There really isn't any pressure on them to deny that they turned down the deal with the UFC. The UFC appoached EA with a game idea, EA said no, and now we find out EA is making their own MMA game. Where is the controversy here?

When they thought it wouldn't make them money they said no, now when they think it will make them money they want to make the game. That is Business 101 if you ask me. Were they supposed to just make the game they didn't think would sell anyways just to appease MMA fans and the overly sensitive Mr. White here?
I think the controversy came with this remark:

White said the UFC had previously approached EA Sports about establishing an MMA game franchise, but the offer was rejected. "EA Sports told us, 'You're not a real sport. We wouldn't touch this thing. We want nothing to do with this'," he claimed.

Provided that's true: EA Sports watches the THQ game come out and sell like crazy, and now they want a piece of the pie. Not only are they a bunch of Johnny-come-latelies, but they are now obviously seen to have no vision of their own. And now, jumping on the success of another developer's game, they want to get the support of the same people they shot down so flippantly?

Yeah, I don't think so. I don't blame White for his reaction, and I hope this is one sport genre EA Sports doesn't get their grubby mitts on.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
I'm pretty sure he's just lying about how much he cares about the UFC. I mean, I'm sure he cares about it now that it can make him money, but I bet they really did shrug off the UFC a couple years ago when they approached EA.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Baby Tea said:
KSarty said:
Baby Tea said:

I think the controversy came with this remark:

White said the UFC had previously approached EA Sports about establishing an MMA game franchise, but the offer was rejected. "EA Sports told us, 'You're not a real sport. We wouldn't touch this thing. We want nothing to do with this'," he claimed.

Provided that's true: EA Sports watches the THQ game come out and sell like crazy, and now they want a piece of the pie. Not only are they a bunch of Johnny-come-latelies, but they are now obviously seen to have no vision of their own. And now, jumping on the success of another developer's game, they want to get the support of the same people they shot down so flippantly?

Yeah, I don't think so. I don't blame White for his reaction, and I hope this is one sport genre EA Sports doesn't get their grubby mitts on.
I still don't get it. Even if they did say that it was most likely a business decision more than anything else, they didn't think it would sell. Can you really fault them for that? Obviously they were wrong, and now that they realize they were wrong they want in on the money too, but why is that such a big deal to everyone?

I think for Dana White this is just payback, he's just calling them out on it because the game was a success so he can afford to call them out on it. If THQ's game had tanked, do you think he ever would have brought this up? I think he's just trying to rub it in their faces that they would dare to turn him down, and that is all ego if you ask me. Frankly, I don't think EA really gives a crap what Dana White thinks of them.

Drakulla

May 19, 2009
I wonder if Bobby Lashly will be in the EA game. I know Brock Lesner would if he could.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Outamyhead said:
Just going to be another bi annual release of a newer version of the game now anyway, EA will milk it like every other sports series...to the point that you can't stand the sport anymore, not that I could take much interest in NASCAR (most archaic, redundant, and least technoligically innovative motorsport on the planet...apart from banger racing, but that's fun), MLB, or MBA.
Nice to see another NASCAR "fan" like meself. I don't see the appeal in watching 30 identical cars take left turns all day.

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
This argument would be best solved with a round of boxing between the respective top dogs of each organisation.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Peter Moore responded to your roid rage with respect and adoration

ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO LET HIM GET AWAY WITH THAT?!