Take-Two Stock Dips Following BioShock 2 Delay

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Take-Two Stock Dips Following BioShock 2 Delay

The announcement of BioShock 2's delay into fiscal 2010 had major repercussions for publisher Take-Two's financial situation, causing stocks to dip dramatically.

Gamers weren't the only ones shedding tears over yesterday's announcement of BioShock 2's delay into 2010 - investors were apparently upset about it too. Take-Two, the parent company of BioShock 2 publisher 2K Games, saw the value of its stock decrease dramatically in the wake of the announcement.

Though the company's stock had begun on an up for yesterday, having climbed some 1.6 percent over the course of the day, the announcement drove shares down in the hours after trading ended, leaving the stock down by 13.1 percent. Currently, the stock sits at around $8.12 per share, down 9.58 percent, which isn't great, but an improvement.

Talk about a crisis of investor confidence. Then again, Take-Two isn't really beating around the bush about how valuable it'll be in 2009: the company suggested [http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/13/take-two-doesnt-expect-a-profitable-2009/] yesterday that it wasn't expecting a profit for this year at all, which was sure to inspire some of the shareholders on that conference call.

Take-Two announced Max Payne 3, Red Dead Redemption and Mafia II would release in 2010 along with BioShock 2, effectively making next year the new "Year of Take-Two" in some sense, and giving a silver lining to yesterday's bummer of an announcement. You'd think, then, that the stockholders could sit content with the knowledge they can hold on to the stock and just ride out 2009 knowing 2010 will be better, but I guess they really wanted to find out who the Big Sister is, too.

[Via GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/take-two-stock-plummets-on-delays-announcement]]

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Damn! I didn't realize it was delayed until now. Thats sad. I'm not exactly weeping but it is pretty bad. I'm kind of surprised that the stock would drop that much but then again I don't fully understand the inner workings of the Stock Market yet so it might be normal.

hansari

May 31, 2009
"Take-Two announced Max Payne 2, Red Dead Redemption and Mafia II would release in 2010 along with BioShock 2..."

Is that right? Cause Max Payne 2 was released a long time ago...

Sir-Tdb

Jul 14, 2009
O well, its better to improve the game and get all the bugs out, then to release the game early and be sorry afterwards off doing so.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
This is retarded. Some damn bean counters in a boardroom somewhere, that don't even have any clue about the game that the company they invested in is making, got upset just because it was delayed? If this jeopardizes the chances of the game coming out at all... *sharpens axe* heads are gonna roll down on Wall Street...

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
Who cares? Unless they cancel one of the games or the CEO of Take-Two goes on a murderous rampage, I don't think these stocks will do anything but gradually increase until next year.