Resident Evil 4 Comes to iPhone

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Resident Evil 4 Comes to iPhone

Capcom accidentally leaked what appears to be an iPhone version of Resident Evil 4 to the Japanese App Store before taking it down. Not before a few Japanese gamers got their hands on the game, however.

Now here's an iPhone port of a classic game that I can get behind. Resident Evil 4, Capcom's classic action-shooter that rebooted the survival horror franchise and basically invented the over-the-shoulder camera that's in pretty much every other shooter nowadays, is coming to the iPhone.

Obviously it's not the same game, but the visuals seem pretty solid, and the basic stop-and-shoot flow of the gameplay seems intact. You control Leon with a virtual joystick on the bottom left of the screen and shoot by tapping an icon on the right - similar to a lot of iPhone games nowadays. I've never been a fan of this control style, but based on the footage of the game being played, it seems like it works serviceably - you can get in headshots and enemies will grab their faces in pain, just like the real game.

Since everyone who's had their hands on this game has been in Japan (the game went up on the App Store and then was taken down), information is pretty light. It certainly isn't an on-rails shooter like every other iPhone version of a classic franchise that involves shooting things, that much is at least clear, but there's no way it can be a full adaptation of the original game, obviously. Honestly if they just made it an arena shooter, or, even better, a mobile version of Mercenaries, I'd be happy.

[Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Anthony+Teel/resident-evil-4-for-iphone-looks-good-then-vanishes-139680.phtml]]

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I'm all for porting Resident Evil 4 to as many systems as humanly possible, but the iPhone?

Plus, it seems to have caught the same disease the Wii version of Dead Rising has; I can hardly see any zombies ("parasitically-controlled humans," for those fanboys who don't know how to generalize things and give everyone who doesn't hell.)

Still, if I did own an iPhone, I would definitely get this.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Looks pretty good, might get this if and when it's released internationally. Glad to see it's not like Doom Resurrection, they don't even tell you in the description that it's a rail shooter.

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
Hmm, that would be quite good actually, especially since I'm meant to be getting the iPhone and it would be a great distraction in college :D

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
Cue a Big No from this side of the computer screen. I hate this reliance on the touch-screen; even the DS managed to do things properly with a set of buttons on either side for touch-screen reliant games.
This. Just seeing him struggle with aiming already angers me.

The only handheld platform this could work on would be the DS, but it'd be a disaster graphically. Big no no indeed.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Saphatorael said:
RAKtheUndead said:
Cue a Big No from this side of the computer screen. I hate this reliance on the touch-screen; even the DS managed to do things properly with a set of buttons on either side for touch-screen reliant games.
This. Just seeing him struggle with aiming already angers me.

The only handheld platform this could work on would be the DS, but it'd be a disaster graphically. Big no no indeed.
I don't even have an iPhone.
Much less will I buy this.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
It looks... Awkward, troublesome to play, and a little pointless, but... I'm actually a little impressed that they managed to make such a relatively close port from a console to the iphone. Even if it doesn't actually work all that well, it's an interesting attempt to transfer the style of the game to that kind of interface.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Mental.

I knew the iPhone was powerful, that's pretty impressive. However I agree with others when they say that the game seems a tad awkward to play. It seems like they are taking gaming seriously on the iPhone, perhaps the rumours about them attempting to get back into the gaming industry isn't so far-fetched...

Jay Cee

Nov 27, 2008
Looks just as uncomfortable and awkward as all the other IPHONE shooters.

I really don't understand why people are so desperate to cram such a convoluted genre onto such a limited system.
I mean I got my IPHONE 2 days ago and however much I'm in love with it, it seems a little ambitious to put a shooter on it.

It's like trying to play COD WaW on a microwave. Although putting COD WaW in there and destroying it does sound like a pretty good idea.

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
Oh no!
Scary thumbs are trying to crush my character while he's too busy clumsily shooting zombies!
Wait...

Paulrus_Keaton

Apr 23, 2009
Technological boner, perhaps. But it strikes me as just a fun little minigame. It looks like a condensed version of the Mercenaries subgame of the original with less zombies. That's a good thing, unless they're trying to cram the entire game into the app... that would be silly. I'm sure this game is pushing the iPhone to its limits, and for that its impressive. If I had an iPhone though, i'd probably skip it. Needs some polish. Maybe more emphasis on enemies flinging slow moving axes and less on trying to make it like Dead Rising Wii? (same level detail, less enemies)

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Interesting, but I can't support a title with a frame rate that makes Two Worlds seem competent, nor can I support a title that has such awkward controls. Sure, the former could be handled as development proceeds, but I doubt those controls are going to change.

In short, fascinating, but it'd probably be better as a tech demo than an actual game (on the iPhone).

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Gosh that looks just painful to play. Ugh i'd even prefer a PSP thumbmutilator joystick *shudder*

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Mobile games that try to be anything but something you would find in a arcade should just stop. If it has a real plot, then it should not be on a phone, even iPhone. Whatever, waste your money, Im saving mine for REAL games.

atv_chic_18

Feb 15, 2009
They already have the Degeneration for the iPhone so this news excites me as I've played Degeneration a lot and quite enjoy it. It's a lot of fun if you have down time while on a trip or something.

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
I'm seriously starting to get paranoid of giant thumbs that follow me everywhere after seeing this game.
It's horrifying.