Anime Review: Romeo x Juliet, Part One

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Anime Review: Romeo x Juliet, Part One

An anime adaptation based off of Shakespeare's famous romance drama is ... surprisingly entertaining?

Read Full Article

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Statement: Looks like a nice anime. Sadly being forced to read the book and watch the movie in English turned me off the series.
The anime is significantly more entertaining than the original work, I assure you. It really only bears resemblance in terms of theme and some shared character names. I'd hesitate to even call it an adaptation.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Musing: I am rather interested in this now. Query: Where is this available in the states?
I picked up the first half of the series on Amazon.com. The second half is due out in early August.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Just thought I'd mention, the series is called Romeo x Juliet (pronounced Romeo Juliet) because of how Japanese slash pairing works.

The two characters have an "x" between their names, while the more dominant in the relationship (important for yaoi in particular) usually comes first. Hence, Romeo x Juliet. Usually it would just be RomeoxJuliet.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
I watched episode 2 as per that was the free preview one on youtube from funimation and have been looking to pick it up seemed like a very interesting spin on the original work and am very eager to see if it continues to grab my attention like it did.

I will have to get this on order. This is where funimation links to for order. Also Best Buy has it on their website.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/KqFoYQnuiyvLJuipjl/browse/item/83232/4/0/0

Also great review makes me want to pick this up even more

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
RollForInitiative said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Musing: I am rather interested in this now. Query: Where is this available in the states?
I picked up the first half of the series on Amazon.com. The second half is due out in early August.
Expletive: Damn it. I don't use Amazon. I'll hope to find it in stores, but if I must I'll try Amazon.
By the way, you are NOT a HK unit from KOTOR :(
this looks interesting, I might watch it :D

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
For sooth! This animated retalling of the classic Romeo and Juliet doth sound like a most enjoyable mix of Shakespeare, Ouran, Zorro, and Anastasia. I maketh me wonder if the ending will be half as traggic as thy classic tale.

Verona in the sky, how thine new setting influence things greatly.

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
Romeo and Juliet-- the worst Shakespeare play ever written. I cannot imagine how this anime will be good, especially considering the fact that they're taking 2-3 hours of material and stretching it out across 24 episodes.

I would much rather see an anime version of something like Othello, Macbeth or King Lear. Even something like an adaptation of Henry V would be more interesting than the pedestrian tale of "two star-crossed lovers."

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
The thing about Romeo and Juliet is that they are fools who confuse lust for love. Anyone who studies Shakespeare (as in, just about everyone in a school curriculum) knows that Shakespeare was a pretty grim guy, especially when it came to love. Popular opinion has it that this is the most romantic story ever told. Popular opinion doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

There are few anime series that I like, and I agree with chocolatemilk in that Romeo and Juliet is a terrible choice to be made into an anime, because they would have to change everything to make it interesting. I do like me some Shakespeare, but only because I can understand what the hell everyone is saying. I've seen a little bit of the anime, and visually it's not bad, but the material itself is kind of weak. Forget that it's Shakespeare for a minute I find it's not the kind of anime I watch. Japan loves a good war story, and I don't.

I would say that if you like anime, give it a shot. For a bizarre crossover, it is well-directed and animated. Honestly, I'm as surprised as the rest of you.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I'm very happy to see I'm not the only person who likes classic literature (or, in this case, plays), turned into anime. Also, I'm almost positive that one of you who do the anime reviews are now required to review "Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo." Yes, that's an anime. And it's awesome (mostly).

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Glad so many of your liked the review.

As for your point, PrototypeC, the anime is a bit better about making Romeo and Juliet's relationship look more like 'love' than 'lust.' Romeo doesn't immediately go from Rosaline to Juliet - in fact, Rosaline is nowhere to be seen at all, and is never mentioned by anyone. Instead, Romeo is betrothed to a "Hermione," in a politically arranged marriage, and then runs into Juliet at the ball on the same night. Romeo never seems to be attracted to Hermione in the first place, so he looks less like someone who just wants to "get laid" as it were.

There's also a bit more internal conflict about the relationship than in the original play, especially from Juliet, whom the anime focuses on for much of the first part. I thought that was an interesting twist, and Juliet's conflict is resolved at a more realistic pace, taking a rather tragic event that she had a part in causing (and I will not divulge for sake of spoilers) before Juliet finally decides that she doesn't care as much about the clan as she does about Romeo (and even that decision is hinted at not being fully resolved yet). So I think they handled it rather nicely.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
it seems like "Gentleman Princess" or however it is called in english...

dont think i´ll like it.