FIFA Producer Calls Peter Moore A "Spritely Old Dude"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Despite being in his fifties, EA Sports boss Peter Moore is apparently in rather good shape - good enough to hit the top crossbar on a soccer goal from halfway across the field, anyway.

I'm admittedly not much of a soccer fan - The Escapist is based in the States, where it's "soccer," deal with it! - myself, but even I can recognize that soccer fields [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_field] are pretty big, and being able to kick a ball into the goal from the halfway point probably means you know what you're doing. Being able to get enough height - and accuracy - on said punt to hit the little crossbar that connects the two sides of the goal probably means you really know what you're doing.

Sure, professional soccer players might be able to pull it off without much of a problem, but the graying, fifty-something-year-old president of EA Sports? Even if his company does make sports games, it's still making videogames.

Apparently, being from Liverpool gives you supernatural soccer prowess, or something. Crossbar Challenge [http://www.videogamer.com/news/peter_moore_hit_bar_in_real_life_crossbar_challenge.html] like they have on Soccer AM. Three people did it, and he hit the crossbar on his second go, from the centre." (All Britishisms left intact}

If Wikipedia is right (and as we all know, Wikipedia is always right), the Crossbar Challenge isn't easy to pull off, even for professionals. Still, Ritter says he's telling the truth, adding that Moore regularly runs marathons, and that despite his age (and chosen occupation), "[h]e's a pretty spritely old dude. He'll love me saying that!"

FIFA 10 will be released this August, and will promptly sell out everywhere except here in the States, where it will be overshadowed by the latest Madden NFL.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
It figures that the big boss of EA Sports was once a somewhat professional athlete, but I never took him for a soccer player.

Next you'll be telling me that Reggie Fils-Aime was once a professional tennis player.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Sure, professional soccer players might be able to pull it off without much of a problem
Are you kidding, next to no player is able to do it and those that do can't do it twice in succession...

As for Fifa 10; I'm looking forward to it, provided EA fix the MAJOR glitches online in FIFA09 - including cheats gaining a team of 99 stated players, leaving a game with no consequence and using assist to pass-spam.

If they fix that I'll be happy.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
So what.. I have a friend who kicked a basketball though a door about 75 yards away.

True story

Also Fifa 10 yeah!!

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
Nice one
Getting me all nostalgic now, used to love that on Soccer AM (btw folks PROOF that we call it soccer here too)
Though I would like to see a video as proof...

CantFaketheFunk said:
Being able to get enough height - and accuracy - on said punt to hit the little crossbar that connects the two sides of the goal probably means you really know what you're doing.
If it was indeed the same kind of challenge as the show, you kick it from the ground and not by punting it
Just to point that out :p

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
Soccer, *grumble grumble*

Anyway its great that this guy can still play foo.......EA?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
chimmers said:
Nice one
Getting me all nostalgic now, used to love that on Soccer AM (btw folks PROOF that we call it soccer here too)
Though I would like to see a video as proof...

CantFaketheFunk said:
Being able to get enough height - and accuracy - on said punt to hit the little crossbar that connects the two sides of the goal probably means you really know what you're doing.
If it was indeed the same kind of challenge as the show, you kick it from the ground and not by punting it
Just to point that out :p
Everyone's a critic. :p

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
The guys who wrote Freakonomics discovered that good soccer players are born in early months, like January or February. So, uh... when was Moore born?

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
The guys who wrote Freakonomics discovered that good soccer players are born in early months, like January or February. So, uh... when was Moore born?
No dude, you really only see that in professional play. Though if he was semi-pro, that must mean he was pretty good.

bor3ds0ul

Apr 8, 2008
I love the last line!
CantFaketheFunk said:

FIFA 10 will be released this August, and will promptly sell out everywhere except here in the States, where it will be overshadowed by the latest Madden NFL.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
stinkychops said:
HobbesMkii said:
Really?
Probably because they were older than their chums and so beat them at sports in school giving them confidence.
I doubt there is any other reason.
That was a solid evaluation. That's exactly what they said. Because they were bigger and stronger, coaches assumed them to have more talent than they really might possess and selected them more often, even over more talented yet younger players, which gave them a confidence boost which helped them dominate the field.