Millions Visit PlayStation Home, But Few Return

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Millions Visit PlayStation Home, But Few Return

Sony says seven million people have now signed up for PSN [http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Home] users.

Peter Edward, the platform director for PlayStation Home, told the Develop Conference [http://www.develop-conference.com/] that the service has attracted seven million users since it went into open beta in December 2008, including three million in Europe alone. European users spend an average of 56 minutes per session on Home, which he described as "a huge amount of time," and six million items have been downloaded since the service went live. Some of those items were free, he admitted, but said, "This is a commercial business, it is up and running and it is making money."

"Home is slowly broadening the appeal of the console market out to a widening demographic," he continued, although 80 percent of Home users still fall into the 18-35 male demographic. More worrisome is the low return rate: Edward said that only 25-30 percent of PlayStation Network account holders have visited the online space more than once. Home saw massive interest when it first opened but visitor numbers declined due to lack of content, he added; those numbers are slowly starting to come back as Sony builds the service and the number of concurrent visitors now reaches "many thousands."

"Obviously there have been a lot of trials and tribulations along the way," Edward said. "Now, we're starting to see a huge amount of content coming into the platform... Content is arriving which we didn't even know was being developed."

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-home-repeat-visitors-total-25-30-of-psn-users]

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Many thousands are returning from 7 million initial subscribers?
Ouch.

I'm not a business major, but one would think this is a very bad thing.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Eh, Home is a big advertisement and a meeting place for clans. I never see a reason to stay in it for more than 15 minutes.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
If there was more stuff to do, I might stay there. Home gets boring, real fast.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
What would be more amusing is to see how many people visit it regularly. I've gone on home twice. TWICE. And I'm part of that 30%. Home failed spectacularly, and I can't say I'm surprised.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Well, I have PSN... on my PSP. I do not own a PS3. So I must be one of the ones who has PSN but doesn't go on home.

See how things can be twisted?

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
The only reason I would use it would be to get together with friends who don't have any of the same games as me, but I would rather use chat, which I expect the PS3 has. Home only really seems like a fun place to troll.

hansari

May 31, 2009
"... Content is arriving which we didn't even know was being developed."

FINALLY, a leader that knows what he's doing...

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
This is mostly because from what I've experienced, Home sucks.
I agree. Practically Everyone on there is a 12 year old sexist pig, and there simply isn't enough to do!
The only Fun game is that Siren: Blood Curse one, but that requires you to wait in line, and that is always far too long.

OniSuika

Jul 11, 2009
Not surprising. A fair few of my friends own PS3s, and they all said Home was pretty bad and they weren't going to use it.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Home is The Sims but with less stuff to do, and that's sad. Plus, WAITING IN LINE FOR MINIGAMES? Who's bright idea was that?

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
I tried to give it a shot but when they wanted me to fork out REAL money to buy FAKE items I said (along with many others apparently) "F*** that."

I'm sorry Sony. I bought your $600 system to play games and watch Blu Ray movies, not to buy $2 pieces of fake furniture for my virtual house that nobody gives a s*** about.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
FinalHeart95 said:
Well, I have PSN... on my PSP. I do not own a PS3. So I must be one of the ones who has PSN but doesn't go on home.

See how things can be twisted?
By twisted, do you mean how a simple news article can me misinterpreted?

If you have a PSP, how could you have even visited Home the first time?

The story is about PS3 owners who have visited Home only once and never returned, not about PSP owners who can't visit Home because they don't own a PS3.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
I don't really see this as a bad thing. I'm surprised 30% of people return as there is absolutely nothing at all to do there. At all. Ever.

So, 30% of people return to a place with little to nothing to do other than play dress up and chat with other people doing the same thing? That's not bad.

They need to put more content in. Not that weak "THIS AREA IS SO COOL LETS EXPLORE IT" stuff but stream ALL of the videos in the PSN there. Have developers put up more video content and allow me to stream it from Home. Allow me to watch a T.V. in my apartment (fullscreen it) and have channels which all have different sorts of video content. Put Qore on there but without the goodies that come with it.

The potential is there for something I'd visit once a week to check out all the new videos and stuff but they're opting for more lackluster content in a world that feels clunky.

Also, I despise how I can't move with a keyboard and can only type.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
The only time I'm ever on Home is when my frined with a broken disc drive asks me to join him. Other than that I avoid it completely. Mainly for the amout of memory it takes up, every space outside of your appartment you have to download. Also all the videos that they have in all the spaces you can see just as easily as if you get them from the Playstation Store and then you have something to do while waiting for the vid to download like play a game. Everything there is to do on Home can be done without going through the trouble of downloading each and every individual space. Complete and utter waste of time is my discription of Home.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
so home is just a more boring, slower version of the sims with less stuff to do? Should have put it on the Wii I hear some girls actually own one of those *sexist backlash*