Valkyria Chronicles 2 Coming to PSP

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Valkyria Chronicles 2 Coming to PSP

Sega's Valkyria Chronicles is getting a sequel on the PSP and mixing up the SRPG formula a bit, Persona-style, by adding a school setting to the original's wartime vibe.

Valkyria Chronicles' ardent community of fanboys and fangirls are surely celebrating for the recent revelation of Sega's sequel to their beloved SRPG, unveiled [http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/vc2.jpg] in this week's issue of Famitsu. But the Valkyria sequel might not be what they, or anyone else, was expecting. The series is making two major moves: off the PS3 and onto the PSP, and from the battlefields into the academy.

Battlefield Valkyria: Galia Royal Military Academy, as it's currently titled in Japanese, takes place two years after the events of the first Valkyria Chronicles, in 1937. According to Famitsu, the guiding concept for the game is "school + war," so the game will follow the adventures of cadets at the Ransiru Royal Military Academy as they prepare to head into battle.

Like another Japanese RPG series that mixes schoolyard shenanigans with RPG gameplay, Persona 3/4, Valkyria 2 will feature seasonal changes and school events. No details if there's any kind of social/dating sim, but SRPG + dating sim sounds like a winning formula to me.

As would be appropriate for the new setting, Valkyria 2's cast of characters look a bit more easygoing and youthful than the original's. You've got your hotshot main character, Avan Houdens, a rifle-toting redhead trying to fulfill his dead brother's final wish, a somber looking chap with a flamethrower, and a ditzy blonde named Cozetto Kourhaas. Everyone's dressed in school uniform, even in battle, it appears.

Speaking of battle, judging from the single battle screenshot in the scan, Valkyria 2 will take on the same battle system as the first game. Some things have probably changed, though we'll have to wait for more info to be revealed or translated to find out. Visually, the game doesn't seem to have lost too much in its shrinking for the PSP - the same cel-shaded art style and graphics engine are used here.

So why the PSP? Probably because there's a large userbase to tap in Japan, where the PSP commands a strong following thanks to the phenomenon that is Monster Hunter. That and the new hip, youthful slant on the series may endear Valkyria Chronicles to a larger audience, Sega probably hopes.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 will be released in Japan this winter.

[Via Kotowari [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/07/14/valkyria-chronicles-psp-sequel-takes-a-tip-from-persona/]]

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Huh... a reason to finally get a PSP I guess...

The formula worked well enough for Persona, I see no reason it can't also work for Valkyria.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
*Takes out his list* well, another one to add to the list... *wallet starts to cry*

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Shame my PSP is busted and can't read discs without 1 hours worth of coaxing. The PSP has gotten some truly quality titles at last.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
*takes a deep breath*

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

All the more reason why I'm getting a PSP!

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
So, is that a good thing the sequel is a PSP release or a bad thing? (Can you tell I never played the first one?)

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
I wonder if this game will get me off Monster Hunter (T3H BE5T G@ME EVA!11!!11!)

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
A very underrated game for the PS3, VC2 should have a good home on the PSP. Also, the anime is pretty good.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
So, mini-skirted girls in army uniforms will be replaced by mini-skirted girls in a seifuku?

Oh well, so long as they don't throw in too much teenage wangst, I don't care.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
I'm not sure how I should feel about this.
On one hand, Valkyria Chronicles 2, yay!
On the other hand, you're doing what with it?

I don't necessarily think that this could be a bad thing, but I can see how this could go very, very wrong.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Yuck. They're going to with it what they did to Final Fantasy Tactics when it went to the Gameboy...

And I had such high hopes for a good sequel...