Sony Reveals Assassin's Creed PSP Details

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sony Reveals Assassin's Creed PSP Details

Fans hurting now that Altair's absent from the Assassin's Creed series might want to keep their eyes on the franchise's PSP exclusive entry, Bloodlines, which tells the story of what happened to Altair after the first game and leads into the sequel.

In the war of Assassin's Creed series protagonists, Assassin's Creed 2's Ezio might have a hang glider designed by Leonard da Vinci and double wrist-blades, but original series hero Altair has, well, he's got charisma. That can't be beat. And, well, uh, he's got more games than Ezio, including Bloodlines, the new PSP exclusive [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/07/16/new-limited-edition-assassin%E2%80%99s-creed-bloodlines-psp-entertainment-pack/] developed by Griptonite Studio with the supervision of the core Creed team at Ubisoft Montreal.

Bloodlines might be Altair's last hurrah, as it tells the story of what happened to the assassin gone rogue after the events of Assassin's Creed 2. The game follows Altair's last attempt to take down the Templars, and provides not only a new look at the character, who's now "more curious, more inquisitive and far less trusting," but is a narrative link between the first and second game. "If you want to understand how Ezio is born and where the Codex comes from, you need this game," producer Frederic Lefrancois said.

Gameplay-wise, Bloodlines looks to follow the same formula as the console AC games, with "the core gameplay of the original Assassin's Creed including the signature free-running and the intuitive combat system." It sounds like the same basic structure follows, with a series of missions acting as a prelude to an assassination. Griptonic says they're adding new mission types to that each mission will "feel as fresh and exciting as the final Assasination moment."

The link between Bloodlines and Assassin's Creed 2 doesn't just exist in the story, however. As you unlock health and weapon upgrades in Assassin's Creed 2 for PS3, the same upgrades become available in Bloodlines. Conversely, any "Templar Coins and special weapons" you collect in Bloodlines will be available in the PS3 game.

Sounds like a pretty decent experience for PSP owning Altair fans. The technology definitely impresses - this is one of the best looking PSP games since Chains of Olympus, if the screenshots are to be believed. Indeed, with the graphics and open-world mobility in Bloodlines (though judging from the trailer, the open-world isn't nearly as populous as before), Griptonic believes they've accomplished something special on Sony's handheld.

"This is a huge benchmark technology wise as this kind of freedom of movement has never been seen before on the PSP," Lefrancoise said.

Bloodlines will be available this winter on PSP and will ship in a bundle with a white PSP, UMD movie and memory stick for $200.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
The PSP bundle intrigues me, if this is a good game I'll consider one.

Dec 14, 2008
I'd really only get this for the expansion of the story, including Desmond's (I think thats the future guy's name, but I'm not sure.)

Valdsator

May 7, 2009
Most games I play for the PSP I kind of get bored with. I have a feeling it won't be the same with this game, though. I'm really excited for it. :D

hansari

May 31, 2009
Keane Ng said:
The game follows Altair's last attempt to take down the Templars, and provides not only a new look at the character, who's now "more curious, more inquisitive and far less trusting,"
So he is even dumber than before? Cause Altair had a way of being "curious" and "inquisitive" even when the situation was pretty obvious. (Those of you who played the game know what I mean when you figure out the plot light years ahead of Altair, leaving you thinking "what is he doing?")

Oh and I hope you mean "far less trusting" of others. Or else Altair's character development just goes in reverse now :p

jj90

Oct 24, 2008
psp is a lost cause, now way can a great game like assassins creed EVER be good on a handheld

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
Sounds kinda lame forcing you to get the PSP game if you want to know the story between 1st and 2nd game. The first game didn't exactly have a proper ending for the dude in the future.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Ligisttomten said:
Sounds kinda lame forcing you to get the PSP game if you want to know the story between 1st and 2nd game. The first game didn't exactly have a proper ending for the dude in the future.
Bah, they do this all the time, right off the top of my head you need a DS, PSP, and a phone capable of playing games to get the complete Kingdom Hearts story.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
I don't know about this game. I may just read a plot summary on Wikipedia. I don't know how well the Assassin's Creed format can work on the PSP.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Jumplion said:
Ligisttomten said:
Bah, they do this all the time, right off the top of my head you need a DS, PSP, and a phone capable of playing games to get the complete Kingdom Hearts story.
PS2, GBA, DS, PSP and a Squeenix compatible phone. Fortunately, the DS and DSLite have a built-in GBA, and the phone game (coded) is a gaiden [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiden] game insofar as I'm aware, occurring entirely within a synthetic world, attempting to recover information that has been concealed in the real world. It's nowhere near as story-critical as Chain of Memories on the GBA/Re:Chain of Memories on the PS2 is.

For a real example of a demanding series, look to Project .hack... Novels, manga, anime, four PS2 games - and that's just for the first arc! For .hack Conglomerate, you've got another anime, three games, a novel, online videos and another manga! Sure, it's not multi-console (all PS2), but jeez.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
philosophicalbastard said:
I'd really only get this for the expansion of the story, including Desmond's (I think thats the future guy's name, but I'm not sure.)
You got his name right.

Anyway, this is actually pretty interesting. It makes me wish that the PSP had a second analog stick, so that I would actually pursue one to play this. I can't help but look forward to seeing how the developers compensate for the lack of the aforementioned stick (or nub, being that we're talking about the PSP here). I like to see how developers make the most of gaming hardware.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Time to 'borrow' my cousin's PSP methinks.

Ligisttomten said:
The first game didn't exactly have a proper ending for the dude in the future.
It wasn't ment to, Desmond's story will arch through the entire trilogy, you won't find out how his story ends until the 3rd game.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Might give me an excuse to use my PSP.

I finished the first game again a few weeks back in anticipation for AC2, and Im actually really curious as to what Altair gets up to after the game. Probably nothing, maybe he retires, lives off his assassin pension and lives in his Jerusalem summer house, making candles.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Yay! Now I'll be able to use my PSP as the gaming device it was originally intended to be, rather than a really big MP3 player!

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Hmmmm, might have to get a PSP then. Does the PSP play MP3s as well as games?