Activision vs. Sony

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Activision vs. Sony

The PS3 started off with a bang, but is fast becoming a whimper.

Read Full Article

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Hmm interesting, Let me read that again

Yeah your right, It just costs so much and really no one shell out that much, when a cheaper system can get about the same game for less cash. So making less games is kinda of a logical move, but shocking

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Imagine if the PS3 was leading the pack and dominating the market instead of the Wii. The PS3 would then be the prime target for developers. Porting from the outlandish hardware down to the other platforms would be a painful expense, and the resulting games would look a lot worse than the original PS3 version. A lot of companies wouldn't even bother doing that extra effort to pick up a few extra sales from the second and third string systems. A dominating PS3 would choke out its rivals. It wouldn't be the incompatible system, they would be. This would drive even more people to the platform as they sought to get their hands on all those PS3 exclusives.
That's pure gold!

Sorry for the double post

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
I like how Kotick says that the Ps3 is too expensive when the games his company are making cost like 120 bucks in retail. He's such a hypocrite... It's good marketing though.

--Xvito, keeping it excellent.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Interesting, but I think you're wrong on Blu Ray, I thinks it's going to turn into something of a loss for Sony.

It's only going to last until movie downloads become widespread, at which point it could find itself as the uncomfortable half way between cheap and easy to find DVD's and cheap and easy to find HD downloads.
The (legal) choices for downloads aren't massive at the moment but they're no worse than Blu Ray. I think a lot of technophiles are just going skip Blu Ray and go straight to downloaded movies they can watch on any screen in the house.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
totally makes sense, and it's a bit of schadenfreude how it turned out in the end..

like you said though, Sony's not going anywhere, even if they come in dead last in the console wars this time

and Xbox will definitely go blu-ray next gen, unless they decide as a company that HD isn't the way to go. like you said before, that wouldn't be a bad thing, but I don't think it's likely at all.

fix-the-spade said:
Interesting, but I think you're wrong on Blu Ray, I thinks it's going to turn into something of a loss for Sony.

It's only going to last until movie downloads become widespread, at which point it could find itself as the uncomfortable half way between cheap and easy to find DVD's and cheap and easy to find HD downloads.
The (legal) choices for downloads aren't massive at the moment but they're no worse than Blu Ray. I think a lot of technophiles are just going skip Blu Ray and go straight to downloaded movies they can watch on any screen in the house.
I'm not sure, the huge majority of movie buyers like the feeling of a disc or cassette in their hands, and downloading true high def movies takes a LOT of bandwidth.. way more then I'd be willing to sacrifice (one bluray can hold almost 50g worth of data, which, even with my high speed internet would shut my internet down with a single download), not to mention the storage issues.. even a 1tb HD would only hold 20 blu ray movies.

Maybe if/when bandwidth isn't an issue anymore (and for some people it isn't, but most people, if they were to look into it, they probably have a bandwidth cap somewhere in their ISP agreement.. it's probably some number that's unreachable without some serious downloading, mine is 60-70gb a month), then MAYBE downloading will take complete precidence.

You may say "Well, technophiles can use codecs to lower the size of the files".. well, technophiles want their super high definition experience to be as super high definition as it can be, and currently, the easiest and most economical way for all involved, to do that, is via a blu ray disc.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
fix-the-spade said:

Yeah, that's really not going to happen.

You're forgetting that the majority of ISP providers in the U.S. have put a cap on how much you can download a month and an HD movie isn't something that is going to work. You're also forgetting that people said the exact same thing (Microsoft) about this generation and... we're 4 years in.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
More flamebait huh?
Did Kotick make another threat or are you talking about the same one he made a month ago.
Surely some developer has said something inflammatory about the ps3 in the past week, why dig this up?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Shamus Young said:
(And it will be very interesting to see what Microsoft does in the next generation. Will they stick with DVD drives, or will they swallow their pride and stick a Blu-ray in the thing?)
Yes, I'd like to see what happens with that as well. If MS decides to go Blu-ray Sony will make some serious royalties off of MS.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
You are no longer allowed to speak, people of Activision. You were making high priced games in the UK, just to exploit them. So I couldn't give a crap what you have to say.

Really, asking for a price drop when you want to charge so much damn money for your next Guitar Hero or DJ Hero or whatever is unfair. I can tell they didn't want to start flamewars, as said in the article, but really now. That's just hypocrisy at it's lowest.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
altorian:
ALL ps3 discs hold 50gb, but they are all dual layer, blu-ray movies ARENT all 50gb, in fact most arent, they only hold 25gb, and even then most rarely take up more than 10 or 15gb of that space, and must of that is special features, the movies themselves are only a fraction of that (with many coming in at less than 5gb). at 100Mbps (or around 12MBps) your talking 120mb of data downloaded in 10 seconds, with 1.2gb downloaded in 100 seconds (a little over a minute and a half) and 12gb downloaded in 1000 seconds (less than 20 minutes). and the ONLY reason us isp's DONT have 100Mbps connections is because they dont want to, yet the uk and japan both have 100Mbps connections for what the us pays for 20Mbps, and the tech for 300+ Mbps IS out there now.

my point is this, on current available instructure its perfectly feasible to download hd movies, and another fact is that blu-ray isnt actually doing so hot BECAUSE of streaming movies, and streaming movies is going to kill physical media.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
ratix2 said:
altorian:
ALL ps3 discs hold 50gb, but they are all dual layer, blu-ray movies ARENT all 50gb, in fact most arent, they only hold 25gb, and even then most rarely take up more than 10 or 15gb of that space, and must of that is special features, the movies themselves are only a fraction of that (with many coming in at less than 5gb). at 100Mbps (or around 12MBps) your talking 120mb of data downloaded in 10 seconds, with 1.2gb downloaded in 100 seconds (a little over a minute and a half) and 12gb downloaded in 1000 seconds (less than 20 minutes). and the ONLY reason us isp's DONT have 100Mbps connections is because they dont want to, yet the uk and japan both have 100Mbps connections for what the us pays for 20Mbps, and the tech for 300+ Mbps IS out there now.

my point is this, on current available instructure its perfectly feasible to download hd movies, and another fact is that blu-ray isnt actually doing so hot BECAUSE of streaming movies, and streaming movies is going to kill physical media.
I don't know about that. I can't stand the thought of owning something I don't have a physical hardcopy of. Incase of a crash, there it all goes out the window.

Plus, since Blu ray can hold so much data, it may become quite popular among people who need alot of stuff stored.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Why all these little arguments ?

because people reject there inner commen sense which should be telling them that this is simply another peice of news that will go as fast as it came and how it really is all meanignless.

Just accept that Sony and Activison are just having some friction against each other right now nothing to prove or say about.

and one quick joke : Activison need to clean up their "Act" and reinstate their "Vision"

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
1TB HDDs are dirt cheap , 60? each and I have no download cap. Besides, I don't need to keep the files on my pc. All I need is a txt file which lists all the tv-shows, movies and games that I like, cause I can just redownload that stuff any time.

(Maybe I should make physical copies of some of my favorite stuff so I'll have it in 30 years, cause who knows, piracy may no longer be possible, the internet may collapse, whatever)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Personally, all I think Kotick was doing was blowing off some hot air. While, yes, people want the PS3 to drop the price to a more manageable size, all Kotick was doing was make it more awkward for everyone.

Activision threatens to cut support from the PS3. Does anyone else see how stupid that really is? As much as the PS3 is lagging behind a bit, cutting support for a respectable 23 million people isn't very good.

Not to mention the crux of the matter; Sony could easily cut support back. The Guitar Hero franchise pulls in big moolah for Activision, and many of the songs they get are from Sony. If Activision cut support from Sony, Sony could easily cut support back by refusing to let them use any songs, thus effectively ruining the franchise. They have more power then you think.