Brutal Legend Has 4v4 Multiplayer "Skirmish" Mode

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Brutal Legend Has 4v4 Multiplayer "Skirmish" Mode

Microsoft spilled some details of Brutal Legend's still mysterious multiplayer mode, revealing that the game will feature a 4v4 "skirmish" mode that sounds a lot like an RTS.

Brutal Legend seems apace to melt faces come Rocktober this year, but the game's multiplayer mode is still mostly a mystery. However. Microsoft has updated the Xbox.com game page [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/b/brutallegend/default.htm] for Tim Schafer's metal masterpiece, and in addition to plenty of stuff we already knew, there's a little bit we didn't.

Multiplayer, Xbox.com reads, is "four-versus-four 'skirmish' multiplayer" that "marries action combat with a strategic unit-control mechanic." Strategy? Units? Sounds a lot like a real-time strategy game, doesn't it? "As the leader of one of the factions in the game, direct your armies in a Battle of the Bands where the trophy is survival, and even take your battle online over Xbox LIVE," Xbox.com concludes.

RTS elements for multiplayer wouldn't be wholly surprising, considering the single-player combat of Legend includes some heavy RTS-ish [http://www.giantbomb.com/news/surprise-brutal-legend-is-kind-of-an-rts-too/1281/] mechanics with base building and real-time command of different kinds of units. I wonder if the game will package any other kinds of multiplayer modes - this skirmish mode certainly sounds enticing, but I'm hoping for a more wholly action-oriented mode too. Because sometimes you just want to swing a guitar around and not have to worry about micro or whatever.

[Via Evil Avatar [http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showpost.php?s=b3d1f5f49ef84962c6cef0fa857b8820&p=1770508&postcount=1]]

Kilgorn

Jul 1, 2009
perhaps you control your units with you on the field as well sort of like starwars battlefront

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Cool! I think.
Yeah I agree. Maybe more like Half life. Press select to make them go that way, press it twice and they regroup

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Hmm, it certainly sounds interesting, although I want to see how well realised it is first. I'm going to wait for some more hands-on footage and the like before I get too hyped over it.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
"It's a angel singing"
"It's a devil screaming"
"This new addition sounds *bleeping* awesome."

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oy, this is making me worry even more about the game. I'm still not sure what to think of this game, part of me wants to love it because of Tim Schafer and all that but the other is not very impressed with all the gameplay footage I've seen. I don't really see a reason for this game to have multiplayer, and that's just making me worry all the more.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Hmmm, this is a bit worrisome. I just hope that the game, single player and multi alike, doesn't go any further than "RTS Lite" - I want an action game (and I suck at RTS).

But I guess it's cool that it has multiplayer.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
From the sound of this, it looks like you could get the game to support all 7 controllers on the PS3 for shared screen MP.

Oh man if they did that I'd definitely buy the PS3 version. (Though if they ever made a PC version I bet LAN parties would be amazing)

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
From the sound of this, it looks like you could get the game to support all 7 controllers on the PS3 for shared screen MP.

Oh man if they did that I'd definitely buy the PS3 version. (Though if they ever made a PC version I bet LAN parties would be amazing)
Now that would be cool!

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Great, even the journalists are calling it 'Rocktober'! No joke, really, I'd love for the world to rename October. The world owes a lot to rock music. Don't ask me what specifically, but it's true.

This game keeps shaping up to looking better and better, and I'm interested to see how the multiplayer actually works out, it sounds like there'll be a decent amount of teamwork needed to win matches.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Made me sad since it sounds as though you will only control one faction to control. Sounded much better when it was only 1 versus 1 muliplayer.

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
Keane Ng said:
Tim Schafer's metal masterpiece
I was wondering, how can a game be proclaimed a "masterpiece" without being out yet?
I'm all for enthusiasm and such but that's kind of sily.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I'm still going to be cautiously optimistic about the game itself. Could care less about multiplayer.

The last thing I need are tweens screaming in my ear (I know that I can turn that off, but you get my point).

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Jbird said:
I'm still going to be cautiously optimistic about the game itself. Could care less about multiplayer.

The last thing I need are tweens screaming in my ear (I know that I can turn that off, but you get my point).
Judging by the entire premise of the game, you're ears are going to bleed regardless ;O

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Jumplion said:
Jbird said:

Judging by the entire premise of the game, you're ears are going to bleed regardless ;O
Don't get me wrong, I love the premise of the game. I just don't want to set myself up only to crash and burn.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Is it just me or is Brutal Legend starting to sound alot like Overlord which was alot like Pikmin.

Is it just me or is the majority of the internet gamers who claim that story doesn't matter going apeshit crazy over this game because of the story?

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Jumplion said:
Oy, this is making me worry even more about the game. I'm still not sure what to think of this game, part of me wants to love it because of Tim Schafer and all that but the other is not very impressed with all the gameplay footage I've seen. I don't really see a reason for this game to have multiplayer, and that's just making me worry all the more.
Finally someone who shares my mild pessimism about this game. I mean i'm sorry but the gameplay i've seen isn't great, and even more telling is the previews written and spoken about it(with words like "hopefull" and "time to iron out" it sounds like it will be another victim of the overhype machine). It reminds me of the halo 3 madness when everyone wanted to believe it was the 2nd coming of Christ so to speak.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
squid5580 said:
Is it just me or is the majority of the internet gamers who claim that story doesn't matter going apeshit crazy over this game because of the story?
You're telling me -_-; I hate hypocrisy...but I'd say it's more of the hilarity value, and the fact that Tim Schafer made Psychonauts which was hi-LARIOUS, which would be the reason people are going apeshit for it.