Xbox Going Mobile Is Only a Matter of Time, Says Kim

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Xbox Going Mobile Is Only a Matter of Time, Says Kim

Microsoft taking the Xbox experience to a mobile or handheld platform isn't a matter of "if," according to Microsoft's Shane Kim, it's a matter of when.

Just about everyone's taken a dive into the portable end of the gaming hardware swimming pool at this point but Microsoft. Is the company afraid of the water, or just not interested? According to Shane Kim, Microsoft is just waiting for the right time to make its move. A portable Xbox experience happening is just a matter of time.

"For us, it's a matter of focusing on 'when', because if we chased after a mobile or handheld opportunity, we would not have the resources and ability to do things like instant-on 1080p HD, Facebook, Twitter, Project Natal," Kim said.

So the reason why the company has yet to pursue a portable Xbox opportunity is because its priorities are elsewhere. Microsoft, however, will make a shift at some point soon - Kim hinted that the company is "building a service in Live that will... will extend to other platforms."

The question, Kim says, is how Microsoft will enter the market: "Do we do our own device, do we create our own phone - that's a question for the company itself...But believe me, we understand the importance of that device in people's lives."

Kim seems to put more stress on how Microsoft is going to expand the Xbox experience to "all the important platforms in people's lives" rather than explicitly stating that there'll be a portable Xbox at some point, which really makes it sound like a handheld Xbox is just a hypothetical right now, if anything. It could happen, it will probably happen. Personally, I could wait a long time for it to happen - between two handhelds and my iPhone, I have enough gaming to keep me busy on the toilet. Uh, I mean, on the subway.

[Via Kikizo [http://games.kikizo.com/features/shane-kim-interview-july2009-p3.asp]]

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
I'm wondering how this handheld console would look and what kind of games it would play. I don't know if I'd like to see developers that need to extend their portable efforts to yet another handheld console. It would be hard to make cross-platform games, due to the differences inherent in the PSPGo, DS, and XboxPocket, so we'd have to deal with more exclusives if this was the case.

Also, portable RroD, anyone?

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
If... er when they do make the 360go I wonder if it will have a better durability record than the 360.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Keane Ng said:
- between two handhelds and my iPhone, I have enough gaming to keep me busy on the toilet. Uh, I mean, on the subway.
Too right. As if picking consoles wasn't difficult enough, do we really need to create more hand-held gaming devices to add to the confusion?

~~~

Oh and someone has already made a "portable" Xbox360...

http://benheck.com/12-02-2008/new-xbox-360-portable

Iampringles

Dec 13, 2008
I guess it is inevitable.

I think there is space in the market for this, as long as gamertags, microsoft points, and other such things are transferable.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I just don't want triple AAA spinoffs on these platforms so that you have to buy it for the portable version to have the "full experiences."

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
hansari said:
Thats actually not a bad idea. I would sure as hell buy it,

Anyway, I don't want them to make 1. Just stick on the consol market. I mean... look at the psp

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
This will sell even worse than the PSP Go. I can tell from here. Trust me, they'll never be able to get a foot into the gaming market. the PSP already covers the perfect portable media device, and the DS already has the games. What could they possibly do?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Pendragon9 said:
This will sell even worse than the PSP Go. I can tell from here. Trust me, they'll never be able to get a foot into the gaming market. the PSP already covers the perfect portable media device, and the DS already has the games. What could they possibly do?
If it was priced cheaper than the others, I could see it getting popular. But it is Microsoft we are talking about, and it will probably melt just like the consoles, except on your hands.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Call me crazy, but maybe they could try to create a device with perfect portable media and all the games?

Trendkill6

Dec 14, 2008
pimppeter2 said:
hansari said:
Thats actually not a bad idea. I would sure as hell buy it,

Anyway, I don't want them to make 1. Just stick on the consol market. I mean... look at the psp
Yeah, you just dont mess with portable consoles.
Nintendo has had complete control on that market since the freakin '80s.

And if you dare oppose them they will just release a new Pokemon when your handheld launches and make you feel very silly.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I can just imagine the headlines:
"Mobile Xbox 360 melts in your hands!"

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Jsnoopy said:
Pendragon9 said:
Call me crazy, but maybe they could try to create a device with perfect portable media and all the games?
Or make a device that self destructs on a certain date.
http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/zune-news/38143-cause-zune-30-leapyear-problem-isolated.html

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Jsnoopy said:
Pendragon9 said:
And when has Microsoft ever actually done that?

I thought so. They're not even good at PCs, which should be their specialty. So don't mind me if I doubt them.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Jsnoopy said:
Pendragon9 said:

I thought so. They're not even good at PCs, which should be their specialty. So don't mind me if I doubt them.
...uhhh dude, look at the Xbox 360. From my perspective, the Wii has all the games, and the PS3 has the more "super-media device" thing going for it, while the 360 sits in a comfortable middle of the two. Now look at the handhelds. The DS has all the games (and innovative controls, like the wii) while the PSP is more media device oriented. One would assume that the developers at Microsoft could find the same balance that they found in the consoles, and furthermore, that there would be a willing and lucrative market for such a device, if done properly.

EDIT:
Rigs83 said:
Jsnoopy said:
Pendragon9 said:
Or make a device that self destructs on a certain date.
http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/zune-news/38143-cause-zune-30-leapyear-problem-isolated.html
Lol that sounds a lot like typical Microsoft bumbling..... though thats not even that bad considering my previous two ipods never made it past the year and a half points, suspiciously close to just when the warranty on them ran out....

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Jsnoopy said:
Pendragon9 said:

Really? that's why 2/3 of the world owns PC's and not Macs? That's why more games are readily available for PC? That's why people build Gaming PC's that use a Microsoft OS, with a small percentage of Linux users.

hansari

May 31, 2009
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
I just don't want triple AAA spinoffs on these platforms so that you have to buy it for the portable version to have the "full experiences."
I think developers will just keep doing what they have been doing when it comes to portable games: Make "side-story" games that tie-in with the main storyline of a game series, but aren't necessary to enjoy the console games.

They have done it a lot already. With the PSP Splinter Cell game...that Killzone one...I imagine only die hard fans will end up wanting to get them (if they made a Halo spinoff...)