Fans Create Unofficial Star Fox Sequel

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Fans Create Unofficial Star Fox Sequel

A group of tech-savvy Star Fox fans are making their own update to the series.

It went a bit quiet on the Star Fox front after Star Fox Command on the DS - unless you count Virtual Console releases - and in lieu of an official sequel a group of dedicated fans have come together to make their own titled 'Shadows of Lylat'.

Based on the Freespace Open engine, which does not require the original Freespace to work, the game will feature three different types of Arwing to pilot, as well as some old faces from previous games.

That's not to say that it will be exactly how you remember though, as the FAQ for the project makes abundantly clear: "Star Fox is more of an arcade shooter, while Freespace is a simulation shooter. While the SCP allows us to do many awesome things, we won't be able to get it just like the original games."

That's not the only hurdle either, as the project will undoubtedly draw the attention of Nintendo's legal department, and they would be well within their rights to shut the project down faster than you can blink.

If 'Shadows of Lylat' does somehow manage to avoid a cease & desist notice, it will be playable on Windows, Mac and Linux and will be released "when it's done."

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175210]

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Oh my god! that is awesome, i really wish Nintendo would go back and at least remake StarFox 64, that game was the best.

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
This sounds like it would be awesome to play, even if its based off an entirely different engine
But damn, Nintendo will be all over this faster than a car that goes really really fast...
So, if I can get my hands on it? Sure thing
But, that will be the hard part...

Hopefully, Nintendo just slap a giant N on the whole project and say 'sequel', and move on
The dev's of this have done really quite well, and deserve the money it could produce.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Why does the gaming press have to draw attention to these things?

Now Nintendo are just going to pull a dick move and stomp on it, whilst not giving anyone a sequel themselves.

Why oh why can't you people just wait until it's finished and then cover it? At least then it would have escaped into Torrentsphere before Nintendo could proeprly exterminate it...

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
If Nintendo does tell them to stop making this game, I bet we will see this trailer at E3 next year. Minus the online multiplayer.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Nil! Why did you post this, by attracting attention to it you are increasing Nintendo's chances of finding out! We should stay quiet till its released then BAM! Arwing barrel rolling for the win.

swatmajor1

Gimme 5 Minutes!
Jan 3, 2008
I've been waiting for something like this far AGES!!! But alas, my wait will still continue, unless Nintendo don't do a SE move on it.

Azraellod

Dec 23, 2008
wow... this is brilliant.

i hope nintendo doesn't step on it though. although considering that it is being released for consoles made by other companies, they probably will do.

swatmajor1

Gimme 5 Minutes!
Jan 3, 2008
Azraellod said:
wow... this is brilliant.

i hope nintendo doesn't step on it though. although considering that it is being released for consoles made by other companies, they probably will do.
Its not being made for consoles, but as a computer release. But point still valid

EDIT: then i realise, ive trolled :'(

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
They've since made a much much better trailer, the one here is *old* check out their site http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7416

Or just go to this youtube page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFnSvromImU

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Well, Nintendo's not EA, so I have at least SOME hope that if they do issue a C&D, it won't be right before the project's completed.

And for all of you complaining that covering this will only draw attention from Nintendo, their legal department probably looks for these kinds of projects on their own. I would be really surprised if Nintendo did not know about this already.

Apr 28, 2008
Hopefully nintendo won't pull the coorporate dick move and kill this right before its done.

If they were smart they would let this release then hire the team. Hell they made this faster than nintendo probably could.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Wasn't there another unoffical sequel awhile ago (i forget which one but it was in the news section if some piont if some remembers do tell) and the original company/punlishers/developers etc. weren't too pleased.

However this is Epic, used to loved this game.

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
Going by the video, space battles are going to be where it's at in this game, I mean, just look at the backgrounds! True, it's still being developed, but I don't think any battles that take place within a planet's atmosphere will be able to hold a chandle to the space combat.

Now, about Nintendo...if they wanted to help the series, make a new story, or, maybe even reset it...or scrap the whole thing and make the
F-Zero ending from Star Fox Armada canon
series a Cart-racer.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
If they make money from it then I think it should be stopped by Nintendo since it is their creation. But if not then I wouldn't see the fuss. I probably should check if it's free or not.
>_>