Your Cat Really Is Manipulating You, Study Shows

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Your Cat Really Is Manipulating You, Study Shows

According to research done at the University of Sussex, cats have the ability to modify their purrs in a way that makes them irresistible to humans, proving long held suspicions that cats are playing us for the fools that we are.

It's not all in your head. Cats actually do have the ability to exploit humans to their advantage using a special purr, a study [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8147566.stm] done at the University of Sussex shows. According to the research, which culled data from cat owners reporting on their pets' purrs and their relative level of urgency or pleasantness, cats can use their vocal chords to hide a high-pitched cry within an otherwise regular purr.

That cry, according to previous research, is similar to the cry of a human baby - and there's a sound that nobody can ignore. According to the study, the more "urgent" purrs reported on by cat owners were more often than not laced with this cry, and that's not just a coincidence.

"We think that (they) learn to dramatically exaggerate it when it proves effective in generating a response from humans," Dr. Karen McComb said. "Obviously we don't know what's going on inside their minds. But they learn how to do this, and then they do it quite deliberately."

So your cat has been manipulating you for food, love and attention using a cry similar to one of the most insistent and undeniable sounds known to humankind. Those sneaky devils. I knew they were playing us all for saps this entire time. See, this is why I only have goldfish.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Just look at him, laying at the edge of my bed. He's secretly watching me.

Also the Escapist has reported an 87% or 78 increase in kittens incidentally

Get Jiggy

Apr 14, 2009
If a dog jumps in your lap its because it loves you.
If a cat jumps in your lap its because your lap is warm.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
Yeah, I read about that. My dog does a similar thing...in a much less subtle way. He just barks the heck outta you and when you run at him he heads for the food bowl...we're trying to break him after his vet told us what he was doing. It just proves that animals aren't unthinking beasts.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Yeah I read this somewhere a few days ago. They can use all the mind control in the world, it won't change my mind; I still hate them.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Let's take a step back here and take a look at cat's. Let's face it. They are one of the luckiest animals in the world.

Dogs are pretty lucky. Dogs just sit around, wag there tail, take walks and sleep. But cat's, cat's fucking own us. Not only do they live off us, they fucking control us!

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
I knew it!
If they can get us to feed them, what else do you think they can force us to do!?
*Cue ominous music.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Heavy_Moses said:
If a dog jumps in your lap its because it loves you.
If a cat jumps in your lap its because your lap is warm.
Indeed, but I prefer intelligence over obedience so am happy to let them.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I already knew that. When a cat's more needy, like say when they're a fat sack of crap on a diet, they do that all the time. I hear it. When a cat does something they realize is wrong, when you catch them they make a strange multi-layered sound which I suppose is what they're talking about here.

I love cats, incidentally, but that doesn't mean I'm a sucker for their tricks. I love my dog, too, and he's got a couple tricks of his own.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
I KNE- my cat is calling me! i must go to its aid!.

Mark my words, first their purrs, next their mind control devices, thats why we need more dogs!

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Irresistible?

My ass =3

I can resist it quite fine, if I do say so myself.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Next time you want a cheap and cute animal, get a penguin.

But for GOD'S SAKE, DON'T GIVE THEM SHOTGUNS!!

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
Fat Man Spoon said:
shadowgaunt said:
I knew it!
If they can get us to feed them, what else do you think they can force us to do!?
*Cue ominous music.
Think about why stroking them makes them so happy...
......I didn't mean something like that. I meant more along the lines of world domination, but still, good point.