Stan Lee Joins Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 Vocal Cast

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Stan Lee Joins Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 Vocal Cast

Furthering his campaign to be crowned the king of geeky cameos, legendary comic book creator Stan Lee has signed an agreement with Activision to lend his voice to the upcoming Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.

Though this morning's official announcement fails to mention who exactly Mr. Lee will be voicing, it claims the "role is significant to the game's storyline."

Interestingly, the press release also says "Lee lends his likeness and voice" to the game, perhaps hinting that the former Marvel Comics head will actually be appearing as himself, in much the same way that Lee made cameo appearances in the Marvel universe in a number of self-referential comic books throughout his tenure with the firm.

Comic fans and film buffs will no doubt recall Lee's appearances in the numerous films based on Marvel properties that have proven intensely lucrative over the past decade. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 however, marks Lee's first appearance in a videogame.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 retells the story of Marvel's recent "Civil War" event [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_War_(comics)], in which the heroes and villains of the Marvel universe spent months bickering over whether they should register themselves as weapons of mass destruction following a horrific accident meant to mirror the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

The game ships to retail this September.

(Image [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stantheman.jpg])

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
This reminds me of a guy in California who is probably one of the most famous homeless people ever. What he does is just hang out by the beach and walk through the background of movies that are being filmed there. Apparently, he's pretty well know in Hollywood.

Can't wait to see the role Stan Lee plays.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Christ, the guy's 86 and still going strong? I hope I'm that lively when I get oooooold.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
I totally forgot this game was coming out. Which is surprising, considering how much I liked the first one.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Cool info, given that comics have spilled over into the Marvel Comics office (literally) in the past he actually could make an apperances as himself.

As far as the registration act goes, the idea is not inherantly wrong. The problem is that the entire Civil War was being designed as an analogy to the left wing view on "Current" events during the Bush administration Good story on it's own, but rather tasteless politically speaking.

As such they intended it to have clear cut "good" and "bad" lines instead of being really grey as it would logically be, and they really don't give the side of the pro-registration side and what would be it's legitimate points enough "screen time" I feel.

I've written posts about it beforehand. Overall though one thing they are right about is that a lot of supers WOULD support Registration. Heck, if it wasn't for the political analogies I actually think Captain America would be a supporter.

There are legitimate cases for both sides, though arguably when you get down to it a lot of the arguements for the anti-registration crowd ultimatly come down for that world's need for a group of anonymous and totally unaccountable group of powerful vigilantes to protect the world. The point being that without routinely comitting crimes like Breaking and Entering, Assault, and even murder in some cases (yes Frank, I'm looking at you) the world would have been conquered or enslaved long ago. This is an arguement that doesn't apply IRL, but holds more weight in the context of THEIR world.

Still, from a legal perspective you really can't put that kind of thing into law.

I think movies like "The Incredibles" and even "The Watchmen" show the problem with that kind of a registration. In "The Watchmen" while he had good motives overall, Ozymandias arguably takes over the world "for it's own good". With all the heroes forced out of comission (except for one hanger-on called Rorscharch who was a nut) there was nobody to deal with threats on that level (and arguably the problems Ozy was addressing might never have existed). I think the DVD release with it's statement "Who is going to save us now?" summarized it pretty well. In the cartoon "The Incredibles" the goverment knew all the heroes and put them out of comission due to things like public lawsuits... then the world came 2" away from being conquered by a villain who was able to hunt down all the retired heroes and arguably only survived BECAUSE he was out to try and prove something to Mr. Incredible. Had he not had that complex... well.

BUT also understand that the idea that anyone should be above society is one that is going to have issues. It's no differant on most levels from parts of Hitler's "Master Race" doctrine. However IRL we don't have supervillains where they are a known part of existance in say Marvel.

While touched upon The Civil War doesn't seem to really give a fair analysis of all sides, and ultimatly comes down to supporting the anti-reg side even on things where it really probably shouldn't.

Nessicary or not, as a regular person I'm still going to be peeved if some dude in tights throws another dude in tights into my car, or worse yet uses my car as a conveinent missle weapon or shield. Sure, even if I have "super hero insurance" (which I believe has been mentioned) I'm still out a bloody car for a while, and I got to watch powerless as someone basically stomped all over me like a rug even if he did save me in the big picture.