Pikachu Shows Games Aren't Always the Bad Guy

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pikachu Shows Games Aren't Always the Bad Guy

When videogames seem to be held up as the vile cause of all of society's ills, it's always a relief to see something more heartwarming - sometimes it takes a little electronic Pikachu.

If you're on this site, you're probably a gamer. If you're a gamer, you probably roll your eyes and /facepalm every time you see another story about people blaming some act of violence on the Xbox 360 that just so happened to be somewhere in the vicinity.

So we cheer when we read something positive, like Sesame Street claiming games can be good for kids [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92903-Elmo-Thinks-Games-Are-Good-For-Kids]. Or, as Brenden Sears writes in an article in this week's Escapist, it can be as simple as a touching story about how a love for games and their characters can bring a family together.

Like everything, it started with good intentions: After his five-year-old brother Joey took a nasty spill and broke his leg, Sears' parents decided to get him a virtual pet to keep him company - a tiny Tamagotchi-style Pikachu.

The only problem? The little electric mouse, which Joey named "Tiger," was powered by an internal pedometer, meaning that in order to keep him up and alive, Joey would have to walk - not exactly an easy task with a leg broken in three places.

So the whole family chipped in:

[blockquote]We all take turns building Tiger into something more than a piece of plastic. He becomes the family hobby, the center of our shared effort to make new adventures, new crises only he could resolve. It's goofy, but we do it as a family. We do it to make one of our own feel better. Even Dad chips in.[/blockquote]

We make such a big deal about how the new casual games can get families who've never touched a controller to get into the hobby, but it's stories like these that make us remember that games can bring people together without ever sitting them down in front of the TV.

Be sure to check out Issue 211 for the full article, "A Pikachu in the Family." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_211/6282-A-Pikachu-in-the-Family]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/azyxa/14164836/])

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
What's with this new plugging of articles? They're already in the news section and on the front page. Don't get me wrong both this article and the one Susan was plugging yesterday were very good, I'm just not sure I see the point in being told about them again.
Did they only have a low number of hits? Could someone enlighten me please?

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
D'aww Pikachu.

I wish my parents played games with me. They play games, but not with me.
Well, not for ages. I remember years ago me & my Dad playing through Mafia, but I was about 8 or so.

Feb 13, 2008
Awwww...that's cute :)

As for the articles "plugging", most articles have hypertext links to relevant articles, it's not like it's a new phenomenon.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
What's with this new plugging of articles? They're already in the news section and on the front page. Don't get me wrong both this article and the one Susan was plugging yesterday were very good, I'm just not sure I see the point in being told about them again.
If there's something they want to bring attention to, it will get more attention in the news section than most anywhere else.

Also, they run the site, so the could choose to post pictures of lolcats as news if they wanted.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
randommaster said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
If there's something they want to bring attention to, it will get more attention in the news section than most anywhere else.

Also, they run the site, so the could choose to post pictures of lolcats as news if they wanted.

But it's already been in the news section once, that's precisely why I don't understand, it's not like they're elaborating on the article in anyway, it's just a plug. I was especially disappointed yesterday when I thought I'd be hearing more about the goat, maybe taking the article in a different direction, but no, just a plug.
I'm pretty sure I've already seen lolcats posted in the news section, it was a long time ago and it wasn't pretty.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Awwww...that's cute :)

As for the articles "plugging", most articles have hypertext links to relevant articles, it's not like it's a new phenomenon.
Well I'm aware of this, but usually it's a link to an article on another site, not something on the same site that was only posted a couple of days ago. This hasn't happened with other issues of The Escapist, I was just wondering why there had been a change, that's all.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
cute very cute! But why did it have to be Pikachu?! I understand it went to a good cause and so on. But it's always pikachu, why not a turtle or hamster?

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
randommaster said:
Eagle Est1986 said:

But it's already been in the news section once, that's precisely why I don't understand, it's not like they're elaborating on the article in anyway, it's just a plug. I was especially disappointed yesterday when I thought I'd be hearing more about the goat, maybe taking the article in a different direction, but no, just a plug.
I'm pretty sure I've already seen lolcats posted in the news section, it was a long time ago and it wasn't pretty.
But, again, it's their site and they can do as they please.

MasterSqueak

May 10, 2009
0p3rati0n said:
cute very cute! But why did it have to be Pikachu?! I understand it went to a good cause and so on. But it's always pikachu, why not a turtle or hamster?
Pikachu is a tamagatchi favorite. Every kid has imagined owning a Pikachu at least once.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
It may not be what one could call "news," but I read the article a few days ago and loved it, so I'm just glad it's caught some attention (Escapists, maybe we could use a highlight reel for stuff like this in the future.)

Personally, I don't think video games will be "part of the family" until we can all eat dinner wearing Master Chief helmets without snickering, but Mr. Sears' article showed me that it's possible. Families are connected by the games. From hopscotch to Pokemon, games have always created bonds.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
SO CUUUUUUUUUUTE.

If only all parents were as understanding/supportive of videogames.

This has actually inspired me a little. I want to write something now...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Eagle Est1986 said:
Several reasons. First off, some folks have expressed that they have trouble finding our feature stories as a result of our new design. The news stories make it easier to find them. Also, not everyone digests the content on The Escapist in the same way. Some people never leave the forums, others never go past the front page, some go solely by RSS feed. The more ways we have to point people at our content, the better. We have some members who didn't even know we did feature stories!

You're certainly correct that a news item pops up when the story is first posted, but if you don't happen to catch it that day, this is another way for it to be called to your attention.

Oh, and it's our site, so we can do whatever we want. ;)

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
My dad would just laugh in my face if that happened.

I like this story; It's almost an "up yours" to Jack Thompson

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Several reasons. First off, some folks have expressed that they have trouble finding our feature stories as a result of our new design. The news stories make it easier to find them. Also, not everyone digests the content on The Escapist in the same way. Some people never leave the forums, others never go past the front page, some go solely by RSS feed. The more ways we have to point people at our content, the better. We have some members who didn't even know we did feature stories!

You're certainly correct that a news item pops up when the story is first posted, but if you don't happen to catch it that day, this is another way for it to be called to your attention.

Oh, and it's our site, so we can do whatever we want. ;)

Haha, see, it makes sense now. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised that you guys feel the need to give a bit of extra promotion to your weekly issues, after all, the new design of the site has made them significantly less prominent.
Thanks for the explanation Susan, as enlightening as ever.

claybo1987

Jun 15, 2009
wow that truly is amazing that technolgy has come so far, a few years ago who would have thought up somethng like that?