Alpha Protocol Sex Scenes: "Tasteful" Yet "Satisfying"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Alpha Protocol Sex Scenes: "Tasteful" Yet "Satisfying"

Sounding like nothing so much as a commercial for lite beer, Alpha Protocol [http://www.obsidianent.com/] will be "tasteful" but "satisfying."

Knocking boots during the slow bits seems to be all the rage among videogame characters these days and that's a train Obsidian plans to catch. Alpha Protocol, the third-person action-RPG set for release later this year, will feature plenty of weapons, combat, high-tech gadgetry - and quality time with the ladies. But this isn't going to be some free-flying eastern European boob-fest [http://www.thewitcher.com/]; no sir, these tender moments are all about the good taste.

"It's tasteful," Obsidian Programming Producer Nathan Davis told VideoGamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/news/obsidian_alpha_protocol_sex_scenes_satisfying.html]. "We do some things with our cinematics, too. It isn't just like a hand up on a thing! We cut around it a little bit. It's an American game! What can I say? There are limits to what we can do there."

While the inclusion of sex, even the tasteful kind, is ostensibly a sign of the industry's burgeoning maturity, Davis seemed to have trouble describing the actual scenes without sounding like a red-faced 12-year-old. "I've seen a few of the cinematics for those," he continued, "and it ends up being satisfying without being... you know... over... you know?"

Actually, I really don't know, Nathan. A hand up on a thing? Whatever that means, Davis emphasized that while players will be able to romance a number of the game's characters, the sex will be entirely non-interactive, playing out exclusively through cut scenes. "No, no, no! No God of War [http://www.us.playstation.com/ps2/Games/God_of_War/OGS/main.asp] sex scenes!" he said. "We don't have that."

Tasteful, maybe. But satisfying? I fail to see how it could possibly be both. Obsidian's Alpha Protocol is set for release on October 6 for the PC, PlayStation 3 [http://www.xbox.com].

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Is it just me or does Alpha Protocol seem like Obsidian's attempt to create their own Mass Effect...

Not that I would consider that a bad thing, in fact more power to them.

The similarities are pretty intense though, in my opinion.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
It seems to me like game developers are still completely missing the point, putting sex in for (excuse the pun) a tit wank from the Moral Guardians. They're not putting it in to make an artistic statement or because sex has any real place in their game, it's just "hey look, boobies!"

Consider me unimpressed. Game developers seem to have about as much understanding of sex as, say, the teenage nerds to whom they're marketing this dreck.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
God, must everything contain a sex scene?

Oh, whatever.
To paraphrase a certain writer, All true stories include sex. Except, you know, that one with the Virgin Mary.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
They say that, but they're hardly going to describe it as "Tasteful yet Explicit", nor are they going to say "Hardcore yet Boring"

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
needausername said:
They say that, but they're hardly going to describe it as "Tasteful yet Extreme", nor are they going to say "Full On yet Boring"
You could have "Tasteful yet explicit" but I don't think anyone would go out of their way to make "Hardcore But Boring".

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
This'll reflect badly on me, but did anyone else find the term "tastful, yet satisfying" funny?

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
SimuLord said:
It seems to me like game developers are still completely missing the point, putting sex in for (excuse the pun) a tit wank from the Moral Guardians. They're not putting it in to make an artistic statement or because sex has any real place in their game, it's just "hey look, boobies!"

Consider me unimpressed. Game developers seem to have about as much understanding of sex as, say, the teenage nerds to whom they're marketing this dreck.
Hmm? I just wanna say that spending time with the ladies is part of being the spy/James Bond fantasy.

I just hope it really is tasteful, I don't want it to feel like I'm looking through Facebook pictures.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
I think the real question is, who will be satisfied by the sex? o_O

Bad jokes aside, I'm kinda looking forward to Alpha Protocol, no matter if there's sex or not.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Great, that's just what we need to save the industry, more sex scenes.

I mean come on, can't we just go back to games having implied sex scenes, you know, like the ones in GTA IV, Viva Pinata and Tetris?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
RelexCryo said:
MaxTheReaper said:

Oh, whatever.
To paraphrase a certain writer, All true stories include sex. Except, you know, that one with the Virgin Mary.
Any story that intentionally derives itself pride from not having sex in it is consequently attacking the very reason that any of us exist to experience that story at all.

I find it odd that THE most critical action is the one we bash the most.

I mean don't get me wrong, if an Orgy breaks out like a dance beat in West Side Story, I might be a bit perturbed. But if my dude has been robbing for months to take his GF on a nice date I expect some sort of happy ending to the story.

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
OMG BEWEBZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note the game it's self looks fairly intesting, the idea of roleplaying a kind of super spy sounds cool. I think that this will be a well made game considering the lead designer is Chris Avellone, he worked on games such as Fallout 2 and KOTOR 2.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
Is it just me or does Alpha Protocol seem like Obsidian's attempt to create their own Mass Effect...

Not that I would consider that a bad thing, in fact more power to them.

The similarities are pretty intense though, in my opinion.
It runs on the same engine and the dialogue interactions look simular.

Then again, I haven't been keeping up with the game so there's probably more

Azraellod

Dec 23, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
But can I murder fifty heavily-armed dudes?
...Actually, yes.
huh. i was wondering who it was that did that.

i agree with your sentiments though. this is why i tend towards modern technologys more childish games.

LordSphinx

Apr 14, 2009
If every game had its own sex scene, it would stop being a novelty, and then they would have to make it good at least... Most changes start with excess. Quite often, it's simply called adolescence. Even though I agree that sex in games is generally lame, at least it will change the vision of video games as children toys. If only "Video games" were called "virtual experiences" instead, it would help the industry grow up so much.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
theultimateend said:
RelexCryo said:
MaxTheReaper said:

Oh, whatever.
Any story that intentionally derives itself pride from not having sex in it is consequently attacking the very reason that any of us exist to experience that story at all.
Exactly what I was trying to say, nicely put :)