Metalocalypse Game Coming to XBLA, PSN

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Metalocalypse Game Coming to XBLA, PSN

Further extending the marketability of ironic heavy metal appreciation, Konami has announced plans to launch a downloadable game based on Adult Swim's Metalocalypse.

How do you turn a cartoon about a fictional metal band into a game without actively ripping off Rock Band or Guitar Hero? The game's synopsis explains:

In Metalocalypse: Dethgame, players will be immersed in the world of Dethklok. As a Klokateer, one of the band's loyal roadies, players will be unleashed on a heinous rampage against rabid mutant fans in brutal combat. Fight mutants, explore the rooms and dungeons of Mordhaus and protect the METAL faithful. All of this action set to the music of Dethklok, including tracks from the best-selling Dethklok: The Dethalbum. Additionally, the game will feature three all-new songs from Williams Street Records' Dethklok 2 which will be available later this fall.

Cartoon-to-game translations have a track record on par with film-to-game translations, but fans should be glad to hear that Metalocalypse co-creator Brendon Small has a hand in crafting Metalocalypse:Dethgame.

Whether that's enough to somehow translate the show's key strengths (read: characterization and sitcom-esque situational comedy) to an medium traditionally opposed to either remains to be seen, at least until this thing is launched during the fourth quarter of this year.

(Image [http://www.adultswim.com/shows/metalocalypse/indexpage.html#downloads])

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
I must say that the synopsis makes it sound like some meager flash game, not something that I would pay money for. I might look at a demo, though.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
You know what, I'm just going to buy this for the soundtrack. It's impossible to get your hands on a copy of the Dethalbum where I live and this is the next best thing.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Adult Swim games has awesome games though, even if only for the "funny" factor. I'm actually dissapointed it's not going to be on their website, but whatever, it's going to be the most METAL game ever...

(well...as long as it doesn't come out in Rocktober)

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
I'll try the demo, but I have low hopes for the game... sounds a bit like a cash in, but it might be worth it for the humor and soundtrack. I guess if Brendon is working on it it might have a shot.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
As with most licensed TV show games I don't expect much out of this in terms of gameplay.
who gives a damn about the gameplay everyone is going to download it because its about DETHKLOK

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Awesome. I am definitely going to get this. It should be great if Brendan Small himself is going to have a hand in it.

Kilgorn

Jul 1, 2009
id definetly get this and its prolly going to be something akin to castle crashers but more metal and brutal and hopefully you last longer than the klokateers on the show

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I will buy it. It will go with the rest of my collection of crappy cartoon based games. I don't care if they are crap as long as I can get some achievements and I like the show.

So where do I go to hand in my gamer license?

Dragoon785

Jan 9, 2009
Hey, I got a better idea, how about get one of their soundtracks, and go play something else that's more fun while listening to the music?

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
LONG LIVE THE METALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

I wonder if this game will be any good, or will it be another bruce leeish game, people only buying it for Metalocalypse.