One Man Plays All Four Rock Band Instruments At Once

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
One Man Plays All Four Rock Band Instruments At Once

A Utah resident has achieved what was once thought impossible by playing all four Rock Band instruments at the same time successfully, and he's got video to prove it.

It's not that hard to play two Rock Band instruments at the same time. Anything plus vocals isn't too bad if you know the song well enough. But all four instruments - guitar, bass, drums and vocals? - that's a whole other story. Commonly determined an impossible feat by the participants of countless drunken arguments, the "one man Rock Band" has now actually been achieved by a YouTuber in Utah by the name of DarthGollumKong.

"The reason I can do this is because I was bored and interested enough to experiment with it, for just a few hours at a time," he wrote. "Just for fun."

How does he pull it off? Two guitar controllers tied at the neck, with the guitar played with a thumb on the neck and another doing the strumming while the bass is played underneath with his fingers on the neck and index on the strum. Vocals are sung into the mic which is attached to a stand, and the drums are set on the floor so that they can be played with drumsticks that are attached to the dude's shoes.

DarthGollumKong has gotten good enough to be able to three star The Ramones' "Blitzkrieg Bop" with everything on Medium but drums, which is pretty damn impressive. At least I think so. Unpredictably, YouTube's commenters seem to be either skeptical of the video's validity or its creator's worth as a human being in society.

"For those of you wondering about now if I have any friends, I do," DarthGollumKong said in defense of himself. "You can see me playing with them in one of my other videos."

It's okay, dude. Don't listen to the haters. We love you.

[Via Fidgit [http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/07/can_one_guy_play_all_four_part.php]]

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
I think i saw this kind of thing trying to be done in a comic of Ctrl+Alt+Del.

llewgriff

Feb 12, 2009
that is AWESOME. I wish I could do that... eh I don't have the coordination to play the gitaur past easy though...

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Wow. I can do Expert guitar and easy singing at same time but I couldnt do this. Im most shocked at the fact he can play bass and guitar at same time.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I gotta say, that is pretty epic.

And I'm not surprised he was driven to such lengths to alleviate his boredom - he is from Utah, after all.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
I bet that is really hard and took a lot of practice and all but it's just not that impressive looking on video.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
He'll be screwed when he has to hit chords with the guitar he's playing with his thumb...

and what would happen when he needs to hit two drum notes and the foot peddle?

I'm not doubting that at it's core this is an achievement, but it's not really a one man band if it has to be done within the constraints of one song on a certain difficulty.

Naturally he was missing notes with all the instruments, which is understandable, he's a person not a robot, so that part of the validity of this video is certain.

I agree with the OP, don't mind the haters, they're just people who can't fathom the power of the words "I was bored?"

vamp rocks

Aug 27, 2008
wow........... just..... wow....

how is..??
lol i wouldnt have anywhere near the hand eye coordination for this.... lol i play the guitar on hard and thats a challange enough..

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
This guy is either incredibly creative and coordinated, or is another form of life altogether. I mean that in an entirely positive way.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
To think, I am just a video camera away from being that man.
Cause he's basically thought "Wow, surely I could play all 4 instruments at once"
Which is a thought I have had many a time in the dark hours of the night.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
This is impressive. It would have been more impressive if he were a quadriplegic. If anyone on this website is a quadriplegic I apologize and I'd like to know if you move the mouse with you mouth?

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Dude... the cordination this must take... eyes taking in all that information, limbs acting accordingly... i want to see this done and have the guy in an MRI or something so we can see how his brain is acting under this...

and on a less scholerly, lets-pick-his-brains-to-pieces, way... YOU ROCK DUDE

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Did anyone else immediately think he looked like Chris Klein [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005098/]?