No More Halo for Peter Jackson

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No More Halo for Peter Jackson

District 9 [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001392/], which looks far more interesting, wouldn't exist if the Halo movie hadn't collapsed.

Jackson first became interested in the Halo franchise after his teenage son got him playing MGM's [http://www.microsoft.com/games/halo2/] Worldwide Motion Picture Group, eventually approached him with the film rights but after numerous starts and stops, the project finally fell through.

"Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com] has a whole strategy with the Halo property, and when the rights expired with the two studios, that sort of ended my involvement with the project," Jackson said at a recent screening of District 9. "That fell apart because of internal politics at Fox and Universal. It had nothing to do with the budget or anything else. In fact, we hadn't even been greenlit at all at that point."

He also confirmed that the Halo-based videogame that was to be developed by Jackson's Wingnut Interactive has likewise been canceled. "That Halo project is no longer happening, it sort of collapsed when the movie didn't end up happening," he added.

But on the upside, the demise of the Halo project led to the rise of a provocative and original sci-fi film which will hopefully be far better than we would have got with a big screen Master Chief. District 9, coming out in August, tells the story of alien refugees who come to Earth as the last survivors of their homeworld and end up living in South African slums while the governments of the world argue over what to do with them.

District 9 director Alive in Joburg [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0088955/] short film."

Don't expect District 9 to reverse the planned Halo strategy and be turned into a videogame, however. "We definitely felt like District 9 would have been a great video game property, and both Neill and myself love games, but we just couldn't get our heads together," Jackson continued. "I was working on The Lovely Bones [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0380510/], and he was busy filming District 9, and we just couldn't get together on it in time."

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
To each their own, Halo stays a game (for now) and District 9 won't be screwed up if it turned to a game (which we all know usually never ends well).

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Man, I really wanted to see a Halo movie. The Landfall promotional videos really proved it was possible.

Ah well.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Halo never seemed like it work well in a movie translation anyway. Can't say I care.

District 9 looks a hell of a lot more interesting.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
You can't really connect to a masked character, and besides he'd only be ruined by a dissapointing actor and fans would probably be up in arms. Don't say I'm just saying only Halo has fanboys, all franchises have their angry opinionated customers as Left 4 Dead has recently proved.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
Halo never seemed like it work well in a movie translation anyway. Can't say I care.
At first, I was onboard with the idea, but then I realized, "Who the hell is going to be Master Chief, if Samuel L. Jackson is going to be Sarge?" And if it was going to be Vin Diesel, I doubt I would see the movie.
SomeBritishDude said:
District 9 looks a hell of a lot more interesting.
That it does, that it does. I just showed it to my cousins the other day, and they were dumbfounded at how amazing it looks, and they've seen screenshots from Project Offset.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
The trailer of the film looked really good with a good eye for detail ,still it`s good to know that jackson isn`t dead or anything

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
orangebandguy said:
You can't really connect to a masked character,

Frowns upon your shenanigans.

I was mildly interested in the Halo film. Mostly to see whether or not they could pull it off and make one of the very rare game->movie transitions that is actually good.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oh good, we can finally put those Halo movie shenanigens to bed.

District 9 sounds interesting... sounds like being a bit of a think piece though, not sure how that will go down at the box office.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
orangebandguy said:
You can't really connect to a masked character
Yeah, nobody latched onto that Darth Vader guy. /sarcasm

(V was pretty effective too. It can be done; you just need the right actor behind the mask and a good voice.)

-- Steve

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Kinda of a shame really, I'm pretty sure he could have pulled it off and this is coming from someone who doesn't care for the series.

crazy-j

Sep 15, 2008
well district 9 looks far more interesting than a halo movie, and seriously hasn't Microsoft milked the cow to death now?

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
I thought District 9 *was* a video game.

There was some game made recently that strongly resembles it, at least.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I'm glad this happened.

Am I the only one who accidentally read District 9 as DirectX 9?

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Amnestic said:
orangebandguy said:
You can't really connect to a masked character,

Frowns upon your shenanigans.

I was mildly interested in the Halo film. Mostly to see whether or not they could pull it off and make one of the very rare game->movie transitions that is actually good.
I really don't think that's a good comparison.
V embodies and ideal.
Master Chief represents..um..I'm not even sure. Luck, I guess..?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
History has shown us video games made into movies suck a fat one. I almost wanted to see it come out just so it could fail miserably since I hate Halo, but I'm glad it never saw the light of day to save me from the unwarranted hype it would undoubtedly garner.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
In some ways, sad, others, not so.

If anyone could have made a good video game to movie conversion, it'd be the guy who took the overly windy and dull book Lord of the Rings and turned it into 3 good to great movies.

That said, Distinct 9 does look alot cooler than I would have pictured a Halo movie. So, it probably turned out for the best.