Review: Battlefield 1943

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Battlefield 1943

Battlefield 1943 is World War II's Pacific Theater, for the gamer on a budget.

Read Full Article

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
It's totally worth it for Air Superiority. So much time is wasted fighting over who gets to fly the planes in 1942, and even the Conquest maps, that often the battle is directly won or lost by who fights over it the longest.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Very good review and you actually convinced me to buy this game. Looks like Call of Duty: United Offensive which is a good thing. Way more reliable than many other review sites.

Sporadic chaos

Jul 21, 2009
Wow looks awesome with the updated graphics, though I'll wait for the PC version.
Also in Air Superiority, do you automatically start off in the air or do you spawn on a aicraftcarier?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sporadic chaos said:
Wow looks awesome with the updated graphics, though I'll wait for the PC version.
Also in Air Superiority, do you automatically start off in the air or do you spawn on a aicraftcarier?
Aircraft carrier!

Sporadic chaos

Jul 21, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Sporadic chaos said:
Aircraft carrier!
Ah, I'm glad they didn't change that. In 1942 occasionally you would get shot down near a aircraft carrier, then you would board it and proceed to harass the other team as they would get into their planes.. One of my favorite parts about 1942. /memories

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Can't wait for it to come out for PC. :)

I loved these maps and played them for what if I probably added my /played time was over 2 weeks in real life...

:x

HippySecond

Jun 11, 2008
"I still haven't figured out why some enemy soldiers are tagged with a red arrow and others are not."
not 'sure' about this mr.funk, but on Bad Company enemies are only lit up with an arrow (or a red dot in that situation) when they have been spotted and engagued by allied forces, this usually means if they have been shot. i'm guessing it pushes the game forward while allowing hidden players to remain so untill they participate in combat. assuming the arrow is similar to the dot from bad company that is :)

Spucktier

Jul 13, 2009
Only enemies that have been spotted by your teammates (or you) and stayed in sight for a few seconds do carry a red arrow above their heads. It's quite well done (the indicator fades away if the enemy is out of sight) but might be a little bit distracting for new players and should have been explained in the tutorial.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
HippySecond said:
"I still haven't figured out why some enemy soldiers are tagged with a red arrow and others are not."
not 'sure' about this mr.funk, but on Bad Company enemies are only lit up with an arrow (or a red dot in that situation) when they have been spotted and engagued by allied forces, this usually means if they have been shot. i'm guessing it pushes the game forward while allowing hidden players to remain so untill they participate in combat. assuming the arrow is similar to the dot from bad company that is :)
From what I observed it seems as if damage to any opponent (be it infantry or in a vehicle) will mark it for all other friendly units within a certain vicinity.
However, the name of an enemy also appears when you are getting really close which might also expose them to your team.
Aiming from a plane through first-person view at another plane might also have the same effect.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
HippySecond said:
Spucktier said:
Only enemies that have been spotted by your teammates (or you) and stayed in sight for a few seconds do carry a red arrow above their heads. It's quite well done (the indicator fades away if the enemy is out of sight) but might be a little bit distracting for new players and should have been explained in the tutorial.
Huh. Well there you go.

I don't recall it being in the tutorial, either. It's possible that I simply missed it.

Spucktier

Jul 13, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
I don't recall it being in the tutorial, either. It's possible that I simply missed it.
Actually I meant DICE should have put it into the tutorial instead of letting people figure it out for themselves :) It's definitely not mentioned during the tutorial

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
I bought this last night. Overall pretty decent. However if you don't have a HDTV the game is pretty blurry making it almost impossible to see mid-long distances.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
You have a hard time flying in BF: 1943 John? *shrugs* I've never had that problem.
Any who nice review, etc. BF: 1943 really needs a map pack soon, because it feels too much like a BF: BC Mod with most of the classes ripped out.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
You have a hard time flying in BF: 1943 John? *shrugs* I've never had that problem.
Any who nice review, etc. BF: 1943 really needs a map pack soon, because it feels too much like a BF: BC Mod with most of the classes ripped out.
I have no problem flying. I have a problem attacking targets on the ground.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
popdafoo said:
Very good review and you actually convinced me to buy this game. Looks like Call of Duty: United Offensive which is a good thing. Way more reliable than many other review sites.
Oh man, UO had the most epic multiplayer ever, I played for over a year.

As for this, if they add more maps, I'll get it.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
my one complaint is the inconsistent damage to enemies: I shot an enemy in the cheek (I was sniper) he didn't die, a plane's bomb literally exploded right in front of me and I didn't die plus I hate the spawns in this game. I mean if we're fighting over a base, at least spawn me on the road so I don't get shot by campers everytime I spawn. Oh and I shouldn't have to "get the hang of" dropping bombs, if my machine gun has crosshairs, there should be an indicator telling me where the hell my bomb's are going. I like the game but it's these small things that aggravate me

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I really like it...the only reason I'm 1st LT is because of Air Sup.
come fly with me sometime
(THE REAPER MECH)

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
Sincerely, I don't think this games has many reasons to exists. It's BF:BC but with less content and set in WW2: if you have BF:BC you don't have any real reason to buy this game except for the novelty and the setting, and if you don't have it you can buy it for probably little more than BF 1943.