Former Call of Duty Devs Fight Fires, Not Wars

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Former Call of Duty Devs Fight Fires, Not Wars

Bryan Jury and Nathaniel McClure had it made working on the Call of Duty series. So why'd they jump ship from one of the top FPS franchises around to make a game where you battle fires with water instead of Nazis with rifles?

Anyone who's played a Call of Duty game has probably killed his or her fair share of Nazis. But anyone who's had a hand making a Call of Duty game can likely put that kill count to shame. And, believe it or not, while you might not ever get tired of blowing evil Germans to smithereens, some people do.

That's how Bryan Jury and Nathaniel McClure, two developers who have worked on just about every Call of Duty title in every capacity from QA to production, felt when they jumped ship from the mega franchise to start their own company, Epicenter Studios. Together, these two ex-FPS creators are creating a very different type of first-person game.

"Through our time on Call of Duty, we had both killed hundreds of thousands of Nazis, and the thought of creating a game where the objective isn't to kill people, but rather help them, felt like a very refreshing and challenging thing to undertake," Jury told The Escapist.

The product of that desire, Real Heroes: Firefighter on the Wii, is a first-person game that has "all the action and intensity of a Call of Duty title," but puts it in a non-violent context. Players fight fires and save lives by aiming hoses, swinging axes and, yes, using the Jaws of Life with the Wii Remote.

Just because a fire isn't trying to blow your brains out doesn't mean it's not as lethal an enemy as a Nazi, however. In fact, as Jury explains it, fire's a much more devious foe to face, and, therefore, to design and replicate accurately than your average goosestepper. "Enemies in most first-person shooters are a rather predictable group," Jury said. "With Real Heroes: Firefighter, our enemy is something entirely different, and in many ways, very experimental."

Nazis can be designed to pop out at pre-ordained times. Fire, on the other hand, is an unpredictable force of nature. Epicenter's proprietary "thinking fire" technology, Jury thinks, renders that unpredictability perfectly: "It is a cunning enemy: if you leave just a small flame burning so you can concentrate on another section of the fire, by the time you've returned to that flame, it might be twice the size it originally was. You just never know what it might do...but you'll know enough that you can never turn your back on it."

In moving from the Call of Duty series to the Wii, Jury and McClure themselves may have turned their backs on an elusive audience: the core gamer. "I do believe that the majority of the Wii's catalog is filled with games that 'core' gamers wouldn't be interested in," Jury said, citing the Wii's lackluster graphics technology and developers' frequent misuse of the Wii Remote as problems.

With "thinking fire" for some literal graphical fireworks and a Metroid Prime 3 inspired motion control scheme that Jury says revolves around the gameplay and not the other way around, Real Heroes might have the stuff to get core gamers' attention. "I firmly believe that if you make a good game, the gamers will come," Jury said.

Of course, as impressive as "thinking fire" might be, technology is no match for real-life experience. So has anyone at Epicenter actually lived out their Backdraft [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101393/] fantasies in the real world? "Personally, I don't think I had ever considered becoming a firefighter, mostly because I don't think I'm remotely capable of the physical requirements of the job," Jury revealed. "Nathaniel is a much bigger guy, and I told him we need to send him through the Fire Academy to see if he can hack it. For authenticity's sake, of course."

Real Heroes: Firefighter will hit the Wii on August 4.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Not the direction I thought they'd go, but whatever works for them =p

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Authenticity's sake, yeah, authenticity's sake.

It's too bad that many people will dismiss this game just because you don't kill things, but I hope it does well.

The "thinking fire" sounds kind of like the Director for L4D, though, so hopefully it's well implemented.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Kinda lame that it's only for the Wii... A good firefighter simularor would be could.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Sheesh, "helping people?" Seriously lame, guys. Okay, it's on the Wii, which means some grandmas might buy this, enough to make a profit anyway, since I don't see a lot of investors jumping on this product, but still: lame.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Keane Ng said:
With "thinking fire" for some literal graphical fireworks and a Metroid Prime 3 inspired motion control scheme that Jones says revolves around the gameplay and not the other way around, Real Heroes might have the stuff to get core gamers' attention. "I firmly believe that if you make a good game, the gamers will come," Jones said.
Not if I don't own a wii...

Seriously, they just said discussed how "core gamers" don't appreciate wii games, then they talk about how they are gonna win them over. No single game is gonna make me go out and purchase a console!

First Silent Hill remake...now this...why are developers screwing the rest of us over by releasing exclusively to the wii. The machine was promoted as "casual gaming" of the most lax kind...now Nintendo wants to pull of this 180 degree turn?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
The fact that this is announced only 6 days before it's released says enough: There's most likely a very good reason that these people are not part of the Infinity Ward team anymore.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
hansari said:
First Silent Hill remake...now this...why are developers screwing the rest of us over by releasing exclusively to the wii.
You have trouble understanding why developers would avoid wasting tons of money on graphical content, engine licensing, and programming?

On topic, the premise is interesting. Don't see many games where you actively fight fire.

hansari

May 31, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
You have trouble understanding why developers would avoid wasting tons of money on graphical content, engine licensing, and programming?
I have trouble understanding the logic of targeting "core gamers" on a machine that has cemented its reputation as a "casual/lax gaming".

If games on the Wii don't "appeal" to gamers, chances are, they don't own a Wii. And among friends that I know who do own a 360/wii or ps3/wii, all they have are smash brawl, some wii party games, classic snes titles, and house of the dead style rail-shooters.

I understand the cost benefits of developing on the Wii, but I'm talking about wether or no its worth it in the long run.

I'll shutup if you show me stats that say a game targeting "core gamers" on the wii can be just as successful on any other console...

IWtester

Jul 30, 2009
Bryan and Nathaniel never developed a Call of Duty game. They were QA testers and low level Producers at Activision Publishing.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
hansari said:
I'll shutup if you show me stats that say a game targeting "core gamers" on the wii can be just as successful on any other console...
First, make it clear what this distinction is between 'core' and 'casual.'

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Because grinding out normal high profile games on a tight stressful deadline can be annoying to the point you don't want to do it as much...or your are a few times removed from said process and need new work.....
--------
IMO Casual is "anything goes" because its popular, and core is anything goes in mainstream genres (FPR/RPG/RTS,ect).

In today market anything goes...and quality just went....

hansari

May 31, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
hansari said:
First, make it clear what this distinction is between 'core' and 'casual.'
I'm not gonna have a battle of "semantics" when the differences are easy enough to see. I only use 'core' and 'casual' because these are the same terms the industry likes to use when talking about the Wii vs other consoles.

The Wii was marketed as being "family friendly".

As such, the assumption was Nintendo wasn't going to have many "Mature" titles. An assumption that doesn't just play off of the consoles marketing, but also is true when you consider the history of Nintendo releases.

Now, Nintendo wants to tap into the market that the 360/PS3 appeals to. Not only do I think its too late though, I find it annoying. I did not purchase a Wii because their selection didn't appeal to my tastes. Now that I see titles like Silent Hill (a remake of the good one too) being done exclusively on the Wii, of course its gonna bother me a bit. Especially since THAT is the kinda game I purchased a non-wii console to play!

Its safe to say that the kind of games gamers expect to see on the 360/PS3 are considerably different from what they expect to see on the Wii...

ZippyDSMlee said:
Because grinding out normal high profile games on a tight stressful deadline can be annoying to the point you don't want to do it as much...or your are a few times removed from said process and need new work.....
Thats why I want to see the stats of these games on the Wii.

An article on the Escapist discussed how for the costs of your average game, a developer now hopes to move 500,000 units at least to break even. Of course, that figure relates more to the 360/PS3 consoles as I understand it.

I want to know how the figures compare to the Wii. Games that were targeted to appeal to the "other" audiance, such as "Mad World" have sold only 66,000 units first month. House of the Dead: Overkill has 45,000.

So yes, it is question of "is it worth it in the long run?"

Because I don't think people are focused on seeing these types of games on the Wii!!!

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
hansari said:
DeadlyYellow said:
I have trouble understanding the logic of targeting "core gamers" on a machine that has cemented its reputation as a "casual/lax gaming".

If games on the Wii don't "appeal" to gamers, chances are, they don't own a Wii. And among friends that I know who do own a 360/wii or ps3/wii, all they have are smash brawl, some wii party games, classic snes titles, and house of the dead style rail-shooters.

I understand the cost benefits of developing on the Wii, but I'm talking about wether or no its worth it in the long run.

Here [http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6163&region=All] you [http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6969&region=All] go [http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=23991]

hansari

May 31, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
hansari said:
Here [http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6163&region=All] you [http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6969&region=All] go [http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=23991]
Thanks for the stats. But those are franchise games, and as we all know, those are guaranteed financial successes (ex. Halo vs any new upcoming FPS). Those are titles whose fame have already been firmly established.

I mean take rail shooters for example. What made Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles sell so many more units (over a million) compared to House of the Dead: Overkill?

But World at War still proves the point. You win