The Pirate Bay is Sued Again

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Pirate Bay is Sued Again

Warner [http://thepiratebay.org/], who want to see the site closed down once and for all.

The founders of The Pirate Bay were found guilty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91027-The-Pirate-Bay-Found-Guilty] of violating various copyright laws earlier this year, slapped with fines totaling $4.5 million and sentenced to a year in jail each. The movie and music industries hailed the decision as a major victory in the ongoing battle against copyright infringement but despite the favorable ruling, The Pirate Bay did not go offline and continues to operate to this very day.

Perhaps emboldened by that victory, a group of ten major film companies has launched new legal action against the file-sharing site in Swedish court, seeking to have it closed down permanently. "They've been sentenced to prison for criminal activities but haven't stopped carrying out those activities," said Monique Wadsted, a lawyer for the group. "We've been forced to seek a court order demanding that they stop the spreading of these roughly 100 films and television programs."

How this will affect the planned purchase of The Pirate Bay by Stichting Brein [http://www.globalgamingfactory.com/Default.html], which named Global Gaming Factory X as a defendant.

Wadsted indicated that her clients would be willing to drop the matter if The Pirate Bay goes legit, but that they weren't prepared to stand idly by and wait for it to happen. "If the site becomes legal, that's good for us. We're not opposed to it," she said. "But we can't wait and see."

Source: Mr LS [http://www.swedishwire.com/business/610-pirate-bay-sued-by-us-film-giants-again] for the tip

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
does it really matter in the end? it's not like Pirate Bay is the only torrent site. these companys are wasting resources.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
There will just be some other torrent site that people will go to.

Piracy is never going to be beaten until the creators themselves make it easier to get the content legally rather than just pirate it.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
That would be like arresting a single criminal in New York city.

Nice try, but not doing very much.

Foolishman1776

Jul 4, 2009
You know, I'm getting rather sick of the RIAA, the MPAA, and Disney (I despise the Disney corporation for so many reasons, it's a separate post). That they have the law on their side only serves to deepen my hatred of them. One other consideration, PB is among the largest and most accessible torrent sites, this will have an effect, not only that, but not only will the site be shut down, but any records they have will be turned over the the corporations, a prospect I'm sure they're positively drooling over. Of course, in the end, the joke's on them, when people get sick of the companies putting DRMs on things no one in their right mind would pay for, and stop buying them altogether.

Zoochi

Jul 28, 2009
I really do not see any point of taking them back to court, I mean c'mon the guys will never be able to pay off their fines anyway.

sturryz said:
does it really matter in the end? it's not like Pirate Bay is the only torrent site. these companys are wasting resources.
I would actually agree with that. Plus statistics show that popularity of Pirate bay only increased as companies start to take legal actions against it.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
sturryz said:
Not necessarily. It's actually pretty smart, now that the Pirate Bay has lost once. They're basically forcing a standard where the courts are gonna have to start taking the sides of the big businesses against the torrent site owners. And the Pirate Bay is just gonna end up as the first suffering this wrath. I totally do not agree with it, but that's how it goes.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
uppitycracker said:
sturryz said:
Not necessarily. It's actually pretty smart, now that the Pirate Bay has lost once. They're basically forcing a standard where the courts are gonna have to start taking the sides of the big businesses against the torrent site owners. And the Pirate Bay is just gonna end up as the first suffering this wrath. I totally do not agree with it, but that's how it goes.
hmm maybe but could just have your server in a country with no copy right laws and they can do nothing. Also will sadly add I have recently had a demo from a friend of the legal copies verse illegal dl versions of pc games the worrying thing is that the illegal versions seem run smoother and better makes think no surprise that there's so many illegal pc games dls.

Lord_Seth

Jun 19, 2008
*shrug* The Pirate Bay breaks copyright laws and brags about it, and they get in legal trouble for it. I'm not particularly surprised.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Gunner_Guardian said:
The fact that it takes 10 major film companies to take down a single torrent sites amuses me slightly.
Indicates how much chance they have against at stopping piracy in the long term with out major international government action (who in my country at least seem to do nothing really).

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Foolishman1776 said:
Of course, in the end, the joke's on them, when people get sick of the companies putting DRMs on things no one in their right mind would pay for, and stop buying them altogether.
Really, just no. That'd be about as effective as the LD42 boycott.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
They're using the opportunity to set a new precedent against torrent sites. It's probably the best thing they can do in the given situation. Crush one successfully and they have a court case that can be cited in any additional cases they bring against other torrent sites.

Foolishman1776

Jul 4, 2009
I'm not talking about an organized boycott, I'm talking about what's already happening, more or less. People are becoming dissatisfied with being fed the same old crap over and over again. Eventually they will find other ways of spending their time.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
Foolishman1776 said:
Of course, in the end, the joke's on them, when people get sick of the companies putting DRMs on things no one in their right mind would pay for, and stop buying them altogether.
But Valve broke their promise!

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Sparrow Tag said:
Foolishman1776 said:
actually there's ways round drms which people seem to take great pleasure in especially when it comes to EA.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Pirating is unstoppable. Kind of like murder and violence.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
CkretAznMan said:
Pirating is unstoppable. Kind of like murder and violence.
Well if make it legal it kinda stops piracy but falls flat on its face when comes to the other 2 lol.

Foolishman1776

Jul 4, 2009
Eh, I don't know, problem is, no matter what crap a company shovels into the market, someone will buy it, if not enough people buy it, they'll just lower the quality accordingly. I suppose my previous statement is, in a way, incorrect.