EA Sports MMA Signs Fedor

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Sports MMA Signs Fedor

EA Sports MMA [http://www.easports.com].

UFC 2009 Undisputed [http://www.ufc.com/] became a major hit.

White's threat kept UFC fighters in line but it obviously had little impact on one of the biggest names in MMA: The Last Emperor, Renato "Babalu" Sobral [http://efedor.ru/index_eng.shtml] - no slouches themselves - as "the first in a long list of fighters" who will appear in EA Sports MMA.

"I have fought all over the world and I am excited to be in EA Sports MMA because this game is going to show the global appeal of mixed martial arts," Emelianenko said. "I know MMA fans have been wanting to play as me and pit me against any opponent. Now they will have their opportunity."

Despite his bluster, I doubt very much whether White would decline the opportunity to have Emelianenko compete in the UFC over this. His record speaks for itself, as do his last two fights, both against former UFC heavyweight champions: A first-round knockout of the well-regarded Brock Lesnar [http://www.arlovski.com/] would be far too lucrative to blow off over wounded pride.

But for now, Fedor is playing EA's game and EA Sports MMA just gained about 231 pounds of credibility. Emelianenko will appear at the upcoming PlayStation 3 [http://www.strikeforce.com/].

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
captain awesome 12 said:
Except that the only matchup MMA fans want to see with Fedor right now is versus UFC Undisputed's Brock Lesnar...
Brock Lesnar is overrated.

Ok that's unfair for me to say as I'm not even that big an MMA fan but I really don't care for Brock. I think that this is really one heck of a coup for EA to get Fedor's name value attached to their game, sorta cutting off Dana White at the knees. Pretty much everything is now on Dana to either swallow his pride or blow off a big money opportunity by preventing a Brock/Fedor match for the forseeable future.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
Does EA run the REAL world of MMA? No they don't. Dana White does. Fidor may have might have made the most serious mistake of his entire career. If White was serious Fidor may never fight in the UFC again. And no matter what anyone wants to believe, the UFC is the biggest name in MMA. They are the only huge game in the world.

captain awesome 12

Dec 28, 2008
AceDiamond said:
captain awesome 12 said:
Except that the only matchup MMA fans want to see with Fedor right now is versus UFC Undisputed's Brock Lesnar...
Brock Lesnar is overrated.

Ok that's unfair for me to say as I'm not even that big an MMA fan but I really don't care for Brock. I think that this is really one heck of a coup for EA to get Fedor's name value attached to their game, sorta cutting off Dana White at the knees. Pretty much everything is now on Dana to either swallow his pride or blow off a big money opportunity by preventing a Brock/Fedor match for the forseeable future.
That very well may be true, but he has beaten some of the best fighter's in the UFC, and that's a fact. Lesnar's highly disliked by most in the MMA world, but give the guy credit, he uses his size and strength very well, and for such a large guy, he moves really fast.

However, the reason people want to see Fedor fight him is that because Fedor is just so damn good a fighter they're hoping he'll knock the shit out of Lesnar and shut him up. A fight between those two would be less based on "Lesnar's fighting skill is so good we need someone to take him on" and more of "Brock Lesnar is an overrated trash talking idiot from the WWE that wins fights by sitting on people because he's so much bigger than they are. We need someone who'll show him what a real Mixed Martial Artist is by destroying him." Who better to do that than the greatest heavyweight of all time Fedor Emelianenko?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
axia777 said:
Does EA run the REAL world of MMA? No they don't. Dana White does. Fidor may have might have made the most serious mistake of his entire career. If White was serious Fidor may never fight in the UFC again. And no matter what anyone wants to believe, the UFC is the biggest name in MMA. They are the only huge game in the world.
What are you talking about? Dana White doesn't run the world of MMA, he doesn't even run the UFC (the Fertitta's do), and that's only one organisation in an international sport.

If Fedor really wanted to sign with the UFC, then the Fertitta's would overturn Dana White's decree, like they have done in the past and like they will probably do again in the future.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Fedor, Mousasi, and the like only appeal to hardcore fans (if that), the general public only knows UFC fighters. EA's only hope is if their game offers superior gameplay and more interesting modes of play. Time will tell, but the names EA signs will hardly impact the sales.

Basically, EA pissed off Dana White which is why he's discouraging fighters, wishing to join the UFC in the future, from signing with EA's game. This is THQ's war to lose; they're holding all the cards.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
For some reason, I thought that the thread title was misspelled, and that our dear Maly meant that someone signed a Fedora. Which would be infinitely cooler.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
axia777 said:
Fedor has never fought in the UFC. White is desperate to sign him as most people believe he is the best heavyweight in the world and have done for years. Hes not been signed as his demands are crazy. He wants a fortune and most of his fight team signed before hell sign a contract.

Fedor has done just fine without the UFC. There is more to MMA than UFC and Dana doesn't own UFC while were discussing it.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
captain awesome 12 said:
That very well may be true, but he has beaten some of the best fighter's in the UFC, and that's a fact. Lesnar's highly disliked by most in the MMA world, but give the guy credit, he uses his size and strength very well, and for such a large guy, he moves really fast.

However, the reason people want to see Fedor fight him is that because Fedor is just so damn good a fighter they're hoping he'll knock the shit out of Lesnar and shut him up. A fight between those two would be less based on "Lesnar's fighting skill is so good we need someone to take him on" and more of "Brock Lesnar is an overrated trash talking idiot from the WWE that wins fights by sitting on people because he's so much bigger than they are. We need someone who'll show him what a real Mixed Martial Artist is by destroying him." Who better to do that than the greatest heavyweight of all time Fedor Emelianenko?
Lesnar is getting better with ever fight. He thoroughly out worked Frank Mir earlier this month, and he did it with an extremely good ground and pound technique. Last time I checked, Mir and Colture were some of the best heavyweights the world has ever seen. I'm not discounting Fedor in any way shape or form, but don't be so bold as to claim Lesnar hasn't beat down "real" MMA fighters.

That said, Lesnar needs to change his attitude post fight. At least shake the guys hand after you almost killed him.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
FloodOne said:
Lesnar is getting better with ever fight. He thoroughly out worked Frank Mir earlier this month, and he did it with an extremely good ground and pound technique. Last time I checked, Mir and Colture were some of the best heavyweights the world has ever seen. I'm not discounting Fedor in any way shape or form, but don't be so bold as to claim Lesnar hasn't beat down "real" MMA fighters.

That said, Lesnar needs to change his attitude post fight. At least shake the guys hand after you almost killed him.
Lesnar is improving but Ill reserve judgement until 10/15 fights before saying he's great. Hes the top of a HW division with little depth and his fights are still in single digits. I think it says far more about the state of the UFC HW division than it does about Lesnars ability. I also believe that Randy would beat him in a rematch but he should retire instead.

Lesnar needs to adjust his attitude or if he starts losing a few he could find himself without a job.

I hope EA sign Josh Barnett, Kung Lee and King Mo. Maybe even Bob Sapp, how hilarious that would be. I just hope it controls well and the online play is good.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
bjj hero said:
FloodOne said:

Lesnar is improving but Ill reserve judgement until 10/15 fights before saying he's great. Hes the top of a HW division with little depth and his fights are still in single digits. I think it says far more about the state of the UFC HW division than it does about Lesnars ability. I also believe that Randy would beat him in a rematch but he should retire instead.

Lesnar needs to adjust his attitude or if he starts losing a few he could find himself without a job.

I hope EA sign Josh Barnett, Kung Lee and King Mo. Maybe even Bob Sapp, how hilarious that would be. I just hope it controls well and the online play is good.
Really, I agree with you. Lesnar will probably have another fight late this year, or early next year. We'll have to wait until then to see if his attitude changes. i don't care what he says or acts like before the fight, but I think he needs to show some respect when he wins. I know Dana White chewed him out after UFC 100.

I don't think Colture could beat him in a rematch though, because Lesnar looked much more polished against Mir than he did Randy. Another six or seven months of polish, and I'm very confident Lesnar could take him out.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
FloodOne said:
captain awesome 12 said:

Yes. Lesnar is getting better after every fight, but we have no real way to tell because he doesn't show it in any other way than pacing himself and controlling his opponent on the ground which is greatly helped by his size. As a fighter he's still developing but, again, is there a way we can tell?

Lesnar's woes don't lie so much in his attitude, which was addressed at a press conference in which he thoroughly apologized in his own way, but rather in the present state of the heavyweight weightclass itself where he competes(206-265). In time, when people look back at whatever legacy he leaves behind, what will they think? Let's state some facts:

Brock had 20 pounds over Mir(possibly 30 on fight day), and he beat him up--less than what GSP had over Penn when he beat him up, yet everyone cried afoul for Penn to return to his original weightclass where he was already a champion and forget the greener pastures citing his size. See a double standard at work?

But what about Fedor? Fedor will probably go the Mir route, be the better fighter but not show it, and Brock probably won't break that big a sweat in the meantime, and people will still sing him high praises and call him the best. 20 to 30 pounds does make a big difference.

Truth be told, Lesnar's the victim here even if nobody wants to say it because they don't like him. He's being pushed into the limelight at breakneck pace to build a legacy that in the future will be thoroughly questioned when the sport matures and the superheavyweight ranks swell up. Everyone will say the obvious thing nobody mentions now but everyone knows: Brock Lesnar is beating smaller guys in unfair contests of such weight disparity that were they taking place between different weightclasses everyone would think twice about staging... ...with the exception of the Japanese promoters and their strange love for freakish competition. If Lesnar wins, it's a "Meh" moment--if Lesnar loses, he's been exposed. Is that fair to anyone?

With that said, I'm not that thrilled about a "Lesnar vs anyone" fight unless the eponymous anyone happens to be his match in relative size.

Sorry Fedor, I like you but other than for freakish slash morbid curiosity I'm not really interested in watching your much fantasized "superfight" with Lesnar.

Now, is anyone hungry for a BJ Penn vs Anderson Silva bout(155 champ vs 185 champ)? I know I'm not.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
I agree that Lesnar is pretty good, and so would he, but he strikes me as a completely unlikeable ***, hell if in UFC Undisputed 2009 they basically programmed him that way. Went to touch gloves for the beginning of the fight and he just smirks and goes off to his corner.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i think this is the one time that Dana will have to eat crow and take Fedor into the fold if he wants the fight that everyone wants and having one of the best heavyweights in the world in the UFC.

bjj hero said:
i can see Cung Le but not Josh Barnett he's been in the UFC before. Bob Sapp won't be in the UFC, he's too big and would have to lose weight to make the 265 limit.

and i will use the quote someone else did for the last one "King who?"

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
i think this is the one time that Dana will have to eat crow and take Fedor into the fold if he wants the fight that everyone wants and having one of the best heavyweights in the world in the UFC.

bjj hero said:
i can see Cung Le but not Josh Barnett he's been in the UFC before. Bob Sapp won't be in the UFC, he's too big and would have to lose weight to make the 265 limit.

and i will use the quote someone else did for the last one "King who?"
Yeah, Dana will have to swallow some pride (no pun intended) at some point.

King Mo [http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Muhammed-Lawal-29858] is fighting in Japan and looks really promising.

The other thing that would be great, imagine if they signed Bas and Quadros for comentary. I like Joe Rogan but nothing beats El Guapo and the Fight professor.