Sega: Sonic Will be "Fixed Over Time"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sega: Sonic Will be "Fixed Over Time"

Sega is intensely aware that the glory days of its onetime mascot are well in the past, and does intend to fix it - but it'll take some time.

Earlier this month, I was able to attend a Video Games Live [http://www.videogameslive.com/index.php?s=home] concert down here in Raleigh, NC, and one of the series paid homage to was Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. As the orchestra went through the classic Sonic theme, the screen played footage from every single game in the franchise in chronological order - and I wonder just how many people in the audience other than myself were wishing that the footage would just stop after Sonic and Knuckles.

It's no secret that Sonic's latest outings haven't been ... well, to be charitable, they haven't been all that good. On Metacritic, the highest-rated version of Sonic Unleashed is the 46 [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/sonicunleashed?q=Sonic%20the%20Hedgehog]. It's obvious to all but the most strident of Sega fanboys that the best days of the Blue Blur are behind us.

Apparently, it's obvious to Sega, too. Sega of America Marketing VP Sean Ratcliffe told IndustryGamer [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sega-sonic-quality-to-be-fixed-over-time/] that the criticism for the recent direction of the Sonic franchise was "warranted" and that Sega was spending "a lot of time and effort...discussing how we develop Sonic."

Unfortunately, this was a year ago - before Sonic Unleashed came out last November to a lukewarm-at-best reception. When pressed for a followup, Ratcliffe responded that the quality of the franchise was "something that will be fixed over time. It's not something where you wake up one morning and say, 'You know what, we're going to improve our quality on this franchise,' and it magically happens. A lot of hard work goes into striving for quality."

Still, Ratcliffe doesn't necessarily think Unleashed was all that bad - while older Sonic fans might have been rather unhappy with the "Werehog" segments, those very same sections were "very well received" by younger children.

On the one hand, okay. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt, here. It's true that Sonic Unleashed was a step up from Sonic 2006, much like getting punched in the stomach is a step up from being punched in the groin. But is it really that hard to say "Right, let's make a good game this time"? Is it really so hard to make a Sonic game free from poorly-executed gimmicks other than "running really fast"?

Ratcliffe won't rule out a return to 2D, either, citing the series' success on the iPhone, and PSN and XBLA as two platforms that made cheaper arcade-style games viable once again:

"[T]hat's a big part of our strategy, in terms of taking classic IP and making it available digitally, rather than spend a huge amount of money trying to re-imagine that IP on 360 and PS3; there's a lot more financial risk attached to that."

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=220455])

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Hmmm, nice picture, I have to say. But yes, Sonic's days are well and truly over, unless they either bring back the 2D format (possibly using 3D a little bit, Sonic Rush wasn't that bad to tell the truth), or else use 3D in the way they first started (which again wasn't bad, I'm talking about the Flickie's Island style, not Sonic Heroes and onwards). Otherwise, Sonic just won't be brought back to standard. They've said in the past that they're aiming Sonic at a new, younger audience now, but even so, most kids don't seem interested. There's a reason why we loved Sonic years ago, Sega. You've made too many mistakes recently with the Sonic franchise. Learn from them.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Just take Sonic Rush, kill Cream and Blaze (keep Tail if you must) put in millions more levels, HD graphics and an awesome soundtrack and you've got a good Sonic game

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Sonic is dead, done , gone Sega should just realise that was once good is now shit and should stop trying to refine it. Shit is shit and you can't just sparkle diamonds on it and call it 'new and improved shit' it just doesnt work. Sonic started on 2d and he should stay that because 3d makes his brain explode

Jul 9, 2008
NewGeekPhilosopher said:
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. So I've heard.
That's what I was going to say, but it occurs to me they might not know what the bad parts are. They might be saying that the Werehog parts were the best and Speed parts were awful for all we know.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
They should just release a 2.5D sonic game for XBLA, and not just a remake of the first three, I mean a new one...and also, No characters except Sonic, tails, and maybe knuckles...anything past that and im bombing sega.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
To quote Yahtzee: "Sonic is done! He's past it! He doesn't need more games, he needs help! Specifically the kind of help that involves taking him behind a shed and tearfully putting both barrels into him confused oblivious little face. Stuff him, mount him, repurpose him as a litter picking device."

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
I hope sonic can make a real comback. I hope he does as it's a shame, since I played his first games and I thought they were fun.

Now that things with the Choas (sp? little blue teardrop guys) were just silly. They should just cut them out

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
See this seems slightly promising. But then I remember from a long past article that said they weren't finished with the Were-hog.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
It's good that Sonic Team is beginning to see that many of the changes they've made to Sonic's universe have not been for the better, but then again I often wonder if it's just time to retire the franchise for a while. It's like with Mario, we started off well with the side-scrolling platformers, then things went well in the 3D platformers, and then... well, there's really nowhere the series can go.
Every 3D Mario game has basically just been a moderate improvement (often only graphically) over Mario 64. Nintendo seems to be countering this by keeping the 3D platformers to a minimum (Mario 64 never had a direct sequel, neither did Sunshine, and Galaxy is only getting one now) meanwhile placing focus on Mario's other venues like Paper Mario, Brawl, Mariokart, and the sports games.
Sega, meanwhile, has tried to keep Sonic squarely in the platforming world, his occasional appearances in tennis games, racers, or even his one RPG seemingly preceded by "kicking and screaming". The reason behind this is, of course, that except maybe for Sonic Riders, none of these other genres help to show off Sonic's trademark speed. Then again, the exploration aspects of the sprawling, 3D worlds of the 2006 game and Unleashed don't help either.
I've loved the Sonic games since day one, and I might actually be one of the few Sonic fans who actually likes Sonic Adventure for Dreamcast even after all these years. Since then, though, the only Sonic games (on the main consoles, I haven't tried his DS games) that I've actually kind of enjoyed playing are the two Wii games, Secret Rings and Black Knight; they're the only games that effectively show off Sonic's speed yet give us the rich, sprawling 3D worlds afforded by the current consoles.
Sega seems to have been at a loss for what to do with Sonic, and that may be because of Sonic's now-wider audience. Like I said, I grew up with Sonic in his 2D days on Genesis, and I'm now approaching 30. There are, however, fans that have never known the 2D Sonic as their first impression may have been Sonic Adventure or Sonic Adventure 2, or anything after that. So, at the risk of sounding condescending, Sega has older fans on one side who want the former glory restored, and younger fans on the other side who want to see Shadow get his own game. Sega needs to remember that Sonic was never meant to appeal to younger gamers; Sonic has an attitude and still does, Mario doesn't and never has, but since now Nintendo is writing most of Sega's paychecks, Sega felt compelled to tone down the 'edginess' albeit I seriously doubt anyone at Big N told them to.
I don't see anything wrong with Sonic's expanding cast of characters; they're all balanced and diverse enough. There is, however, a kind of 'umbrella' dumbing-down of the series that, at times, seems to render the individual members of the cast indiscernable from each other.

I'm rambling, but it's because I love Sonic, but I wouldn't be sad if Sega just put him down and walked away for a while. There are times when absence makes the heart grow fonder.

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
Either HD remake Sonic 3 and Knuckles (with S&K as well) or do a Megaman 9 for a Sonic 4 (or 5 if CD is counted as Sonic 4).

It can't be that hard to take a series back to its routes like Sonic Advance/Sonic Rush. Fan's do not ask for much. No more stupid gimmics and no more silly racing spin offs.

SEGA need a new generation of developers. Rather than always trying to appeal to a new Market SEGA should know they still (somehow) have a large fanbase of people who remember the 'good old days'.