Serious Sam Voice Actor Offers Seriously Cheap Voice Acting

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Serious Sam Voice Actor Offers Seriously Cheap Voice Acting

Need some voice acting on the cheap? The man behind the gravelly tones of Serious Sam [http://www.serioussam.com/] is offering to put his voice to any text you want and he'll do it for just a buck a word.

John J. Dick has a problem. He's got a lot of bills to pay. It turns out that being a world-famous videogame voice actor (with a side gig as a Dallas strip club DJ) doesn't pay quite as well as you might think. He's buried in debt, he's desperate and he's ready to make a deal. A deal for "super budget discount voice acting!"

It works like this: For one dollar per word, Dick will put his voice to whatever you want. Just send him the text and he'll send you a recording. He's even willing to negotiate the price, if $1 per word is somehow too expensive for you. Best of all, his "cheap-ass voice acting" is available to anyone.

But act quickly, because this is a time-limited offer. "I'm only willing to whore myself out at these discount rates until I dig myself out of debt," Dick wrote on his blog at violencemedia.com [http://www.violencemedia.com/]. "This service is not only limited to game designers, movie producers and content creators. I would also love to help you set up a kick ass voicemail message, or maybe add some snappy dialogue to your home movies. Hell, maybe even a tranquil subliminal message to play while you sleep. Sky's the limit."

The only restriction, he said, is that he reserves the right not to "do" the Serious Sam persona. "Croteam [http://www.croteam.com/] and the Serious Sam franchise have been very good to me," he wrote. "I'm not going to do anything that would compromise my relationship with them."

Professional voice acting at a buck a word and a chance to help out the guy who gave a voice to Serious Sam? How can you go wrong?

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Sounds good, but I'd much prefer to have Guybrush Threepwood do my voicemail message.

• "Hi! You've reached Mike. I'm out right now defeating the zombie pirate LeChuck.
    Please leave a meassage after the "Arr" and I'll get back to you as soon as I can
    "

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Sounds good, but I'd much prefer to have Guybrush Threepwood do my voicemail message.

• "Hi! You've reached Mike. I'm out right now defeating the zombie pirate LeChuck.
    Please leave a meassage after the "Arr" and I'll get back to you as soon as I can
    "
There are so many MI characters that would make awesome voicemail messages.
LeChuck
"At last! You've called upon me! ME! The dread pirate LeChuck! Leave a message after the HARRR HARRR HARRR... HARR HARRR HARR!"

Or Elaine
"Leave a message before I slap you, you dimwit sack of scum!"

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Hah. That's awesome. Sucks that he's in debt and all, but a 'cool' way to help himself out of it.

ShadeOfRed

Jan 20, 2008
I kinda feel bad for the guy. This has only been who ELSE someone would want to do voice acting for.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Hmm, awesome idea, if i had money at all i would, but I'd rather have the guy who did HAL, I'm sorry but I cannot connect you, leave a message after the beep.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
It's tempting, but I can't really afford to waste my money that much. Oh, if I were a rich man... *breaks into song, you know the one*

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
" The only restriction, he said, is that he reserves the right not to "do" the Serious Sam persona. "Croteam and the Serious Sam franchise have been very good to me," he wrote. "I'm not going to do anything that would compromise my relationship with them." "

What does this mean?

I would want him to be doing the Serious Sam voice. :(

I guess if he really doesn't want to, that's cool, but what...What would it sound like if not that? I would need samples of his other work, and the SS games are what I know him from, and, and, it would be awesome if my voicemail had Serious Sam on it.

I wouldn't want to waste money like, here's a 25 word thing to say, here's 25 dollars, and then it's a voice I didn't like...

But I seriously would consider doing this.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I think I'd probably just get him to record one word. I can't think what word I would have him say, though. Maybe something like "poise" or "vengeance."

On a side note, some of these guys need to figure out some way to raise their publicity. The only guy I can name consistently who's primarily a voice actor (and not an actor actor) is Scott McNeil (Dinobot, Piccolo, Brother Captain Davian Thule).

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Jon Etheridge said:
Hahaha. I should put him in an episode of AL.
Definitely!

I'd love to see The Escapist pool together money and feature him in every weekly video show.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
I think I'd probably just get him to record one word. I can't think what word I would have him say, though. Maybe something like "poise" or "vengeance."

On a side note, some of these guys need to figure out some way to raise their publicity. The only guy I can name consistently who's primarily a voice actor (and not an actor actor) is Scott McNeil (Dinobot, Piccolo, Brother Captain Davian Thule).
Who are those three?
There's also Kari Wahlgren. She does voices for a living, including some of the best ever seen in any videogame, like Setsuka, Elika, Ashe, Gwen, Tahlkora, etc.