Telltale Says iPhone Is "Much More Powerful" Than Wii

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Telltale Says iPhone Is "Much More Powerful" Than Wii

One member of Tales of Monkey Island developer Telltale Games is blaming technical issues with the WiiWare version of their game on Nintendo's hardware, which they claim is much less powerful than even the iPhone.

Reports are coming in that the WiiWare version of Telltale Games' Tales of Monkey Island's first episode is far from perfect. Apparently there are numerous graphical hitches, and the audio is compressed to the point where the quality seriously dips - a big problem in a game as dialogue heavy as an adventure game.

One Telltale developer by the name of Yare is saying that disgruntled gamers shouldn't be looking at Telltale to lay the blame on, however. "The voices and textures are the way they are because we're limited to 40 megs for WiiWare titles," Yare wrote [http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=172300&postcount=61]. "The PC versions of our games are usually 150+ megs, and most modern games range anywhere from 1-10 gigabytes or more. Talk to Nintendo about this one."

Indeed, Yare seems to be extremely unhappy about working on the Wii. "Frame rate issues will probably get sorted out eventually, but keep in mind that the Wii is just not a powerful console," Yare wrote. "An iPhone is much more powerful than a Wii, even."

Other Telltale staff echoed Yare's statements about the limitations of the Wii while arguing [http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=173147&postcount=16] that Telltale had to do what they had to do. "So when all was said and done we had to make a choice of either cutting content or compressing the voice more than usual," a Telltale poster named Will said. "It was a pretty damn hard decision, but the last thing we wanted to do was cut out dialog from the wii version that was in the PC version. In the end I feel we made the right choice."

Telltale says that these issues aren't "something we want to happen again," so they're "working hard" to make sure the second episode doesn't suffer the same problems. Whether that means coming up with some new tricks for audio compression or designing the game around the hardware limitations, let's hope it doesn't detract from the Tales of Monkey Island experience.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Oh Wii...you're a pathetic little white cuboid for casual gamers. Why do you try to sport serious-style games?

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
If they knew it wasn't going to be powerful enough to run it, why did they continue to market a buggy game?

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Hmmm...

You'd think they would try to work out something with Nintendo to give them more space for the title.

This saddens me a bit as I was really looking forward to playing this. I'll most likely hold off until they release a package of all the episodes much like they did with the Sam and Max series.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
mikecoulter said:
If they knew it wasn't going to be powerful enough to run it, why did they continue to market a buggy game?
This, this isnt Nintendos fault. I dont own a Wii but what is does it does well. it isnt Designed for these kind of games in mind (speech heavy) so if a developer wants to do one then make it work or bugger off. Telltale games decided to roll the dice on this version in order to make more cash via the Wii's massive casual market

AncientYoungSon

Jun 17, 2009
So they're trying to fit a 150 MB game into a 40 MB space and they're surprised when it doesn't work out well? Lovely.

Also, adventure games died for me when Yahtzee basically said that you're playing a game where you're walking around, rubbing everything in your inventory on everything in the game until you happen to stumble upon the developer's train of thought (I think it was in his "Zak and Wiki" review).

Adventure games died for me because I realized he was right.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
The Wii has limitations... Wiiware adds even more limitations. Sounds more like the developer assumed too much and built a PC game hoping it could be ported easily to the Wii. Raises an interesting question though... could the iPhone play the Monkey Island game without any issues? I'm thinking not, but it'd be neat to be proven wrong.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Wii fails, Wii sux, etc.

AncientYoungSon said:
So they're trying to fit a 150 MB game into a 40 MB space and they're surprised when it doesn't work out well? Lovely.
That's what I don't seem to understand. I'd also like to see some kind of info on this, is he trying to say that games like Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy are possible on the iPhone? I remember the RE4 iPhone game being quite impressive visually, but it was no home console version.

I also question it because didn't Microsoft say something like they were working to figure out how to make a portable console with the power of an xbox? Telltale are basically saying that the iPhone is more powerful than an xbox in a sense. I'm just not sure.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Sometimes it isn't such a good idea to allow comments on articles. This won't end well.

Funny the Wii isn't powerful enough, the PS3 is to powerful and the 360 is prone to overheating. This gen has alot of issues. What happened to the last gen when everything was pretty even?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
squid5580 said:
Sometimes it isn't such a good idea to allow comments on articles. This won't end well.

Funny the Wii isn't powerful enough, the PS3 is to powerful and the 360 is prone to overheating. This gen has alot of issues. What happened to the last gen when everything was pretty even?
It was probably because everything was pretty even that others wanted to differentiate themselves to the point where they could have titles that their competitors couldn't, and cut down multiplat titles (at least, that's my take on it). However the opposite of that has happened, with dev costs making games on a single console risky and making multiplat titles become more commonplace.

More Fun To Compute said:
A bad workman always blames his tools.
And I dislike you because I didn't think of that!

Not really. ;-)

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
AncientYoungSon said:
That's what I don't seem to understand. I'd also like to see some kind of info on this, is he trying to say that games like Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy are possible on the iPhone? I remember the RE4 iPhone game being quite impressive visually, but it was no home console version.
It's not the Wii itself, but the WiiWare. Presumably, the Wii can play the game fine, but there isn't enough space for WiiWare titles, so they had to compress the shit out of (into?) the game.

Well, when your hammer has three ninety-degree angles in the handle, you are going to have a problem.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
randommaster said:
Well, when your hammer has three ninety-degree angles in the handle, you are going to have a problem.
A competent workman can make his own handle.
Not when there's no materials. Telltale can't make their own version of WiiWare, so they have to deal with what they have.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Someone's on fire today.
A good workman would steal the fire then give it to the people like a modern day Prometheus. Oh wait, time to stop I think.
Were you in the woodshop all day giving lectures to the young'uns about how you had to use pocket lint to hit nails and the only way to paint something was to scowl at the paint hard enough that it would apply itself?