Gearbox Is Not Working on a New Halo Game

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Gearbox Is Not Working on a New Halo Game

Microsoft has put to rest long running rumors that Gearbox Software is working on a Halo title.

Months of speculation and rumor have come to an end today as Microsoft have officially confirmed that Brothers in Arms and Borderlands developer Gearbox Software is not working on a new game in the Halo series. The confirmation came by way of an update [http://twitter.com/HaloWaypoint/status/2930367230] on the Twitter account for Halo Waypoint, Microsoft's recently announced hub for all things Halo on Xbox Live, that went a little something like this:

"For the record, Gearbox is NOT working on a Halo title for Microsoft."

That sounds pretty definitive. If Gearbox isn't working on Halo, then, what's all this talk about some big projects that they actually are working on? Yesterday Duke Nukem [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gearbox-clams-on-halo-4-chatter]?

As for the future of Halo, well it's obvious that the series isn't going anywhere, what with the recent Waypoint and anime announcements, as well as ODST and Halo: Reach coming over the course of the next couple years from Bungie. The franchise is sure to change hands again at some point in the current hardware generation, judging from recent remarks [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=220139] made by Bungie themselves, but as for where it ends up, well, at least we know it isn't Gearbox.

Toty54

Jul 11, 2009
oh great more milking of the halo franchise to make microsoft even richer

Burnoutparade

Jul 30, 2009
They should stop making halo games. I personally don't like them because of Halo 2's ending *If you all forgot about it go to youtube and look it up* and since that ending was so bad it just killed some of the desire to buy or play more of the games....

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
I may be a bit of a Gearbox fanboy, but I think they'd make a great Halo: Reach. It would be a BiA style game, which would be awesome, you could take out the cover and add in shields and BAM! Spartans in Arms! I'd love to command other Spartans.

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
What's with the hype and praise for the Halo-games?
It's almost as sad as the Guitar Hero and Rock band games.
I never really understood the popularity for first person shooters, I own resistance 1 and 2 but that's where it ends.
I would wish that all that praise went to games like Demon Souls, but then I remember that it's not coming to europe...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Subzerowings said:
I never really understood the popularity for first person shooters, I own resistance 1 and 2 but that's where it ends.
I would wish that all that praise went to games like Demon Souls, but then I remember that it's not coming to europe...
Well, not everyone likes RPGs.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Subzerowings said:
*gasps*

Really?

Maybe people like Halo because, when they played it, the action of playing released Seratonin to their brains, making them feel slightly high. We call this process "fun."

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Subzerowings said:
Such talk is blasphemy!

We call this process "fun."
I'm a WoW player. What is this 'fun' you speak of?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Amnestic said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Subzerowings said:
Such talk is blasphemy!

You know, what you feel when your Best in Slot weapon drops off the boss.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Amnestic said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Subzerowings said:
Such talk is blasphemy!

You know, what you feel when your Best in Slot weapon drops off the boss.
Oooooh. Well as a DK tank I'll never feel that because my Best in Slot weapon drops from the arena vendors and I hate WoW PvP. I got Worldcarver [http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45165] which is pretty hot though.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Subzerowings said:
Play the classics like Doom, Half-Life and Duke Nukem 3D and then judge the genre.
Judging an entire genre by those two games alone doesn't really seem right to me.

I have a phrase about Halo, I enjoy using it for comic relief: "Remember this from Half-Life? We do!"

But if you're a diehard RPG player, you owe it to yourself to play Arx Fatalis.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Oh man, we are dropping Duke Nukems name again...

Why!? Must we set ourselves up for disappointment again?

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Toty54 said:
I'm afraid that I've missed the relevance that this comment holds. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Subzerowings said:
Some people are crazy.

Anyway, I think Bungee has the pumping out of the Halo games functioning at maximum capacity already.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
"If Gearbox isn't working on Halo, then, what's all this talk about some big projects that they actually are working on?"

facepalm.exe
Perhaps they're working on *gasp!* a non-sequel.

Really, ODST isn't adding useful to Halo's storyline. Nor is it bringing enough innovation to compensate for the lack of originality. Therefore, I dub it a useless sequel.

I could care less if Halo is a cash cow, but it doesn't receive my respect.

MadAccordionist

Jul 1, 2009
I personally would like ODST to have been made Gearbox. I would love for it to be BiA style, commanding your fellow Marines to flank Brutes and whatnot, instead of the standard "You versus the entire Covenant, with a couple allies for cannon fodder."

Toty54

Jul 11, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Toty54 said:
I'm afraid that I've missed the relevance that this comment holds. Perhaps you could enlighten me?
Eldritch Warlord said:
Toty54 said:
Well let me start off by saying what i interpreted from this article is that it is "hinting" that gearbox is indeed developing a new halo game but they don't want anyone to know. So my comment is relevant (if you see it the way i do)to the fact that gearbox is developing another halo game.

Besides a don't see you saying anything relevant other than quoting me. (see the hypocrisy right above.)

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Toty54 said:
Well let me start off by saying what i interpreted from this article is that it is "hinting" that gearbox is indeed developing a new halo game but they don't want anyone to know. So my comment is relevant (if you see it the way i do)to the fact that gearbox is developing another halo game.

Besides a don't see you saying anything relevant other than quoting me. (see the hypocrisy right above.)
So, you would defend yourself by saying that you skim read the article? That's almost exactly like saying: "It's perfectly fine that I destroyed that home with my car officer. I was drunk you see?"

Quoting you is of course relevant to your response to this article. Responding to responses is simply part of the discussion. You on the other hand roll into this thread fingers blazing, complaining about Microsoft further "milking the Halo franchise" while the article clearly indicates that "Gearbox Is Not Working on a New Halo Game."

If you would like to hear my response it would be:

My hypothetical response said:
As I suspected.

These rumors were fantastically unfounded to begin with. Apparently the words "Gearbox" and "Halo" appearing in the same sentence means that Gearbox is working on a new Halo game to some people. In reality that sentence was merely telling about a Gearbox higher-up joining Microsoft's Halo Franchise Team (now known as 343 Industries).
Now that I write that down it appears to correspond fantastically to your original post in this thread doesn't it?

PS Why quote me twice?

Toty54

Jul 11, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Toty54 said:

So, you would defend yourself by saying that you skim read the article? That's almost exactly like saying: "It's perfectly fine that I destroyed that home with my car officer. I was drunk you see?"

Quoting you is of course relevant to your response to this article. Responding to responses is simply part of the discussion. You on the other hand roll into this thread fingers blazing, complaining about Microsoft further "milking the Halo franchise" while the article clearly indicates that "Gearbox Is Not Working on a New Halo Game."

If you would like to hear my response it would be:

My hypothetical response said:
As I suspected.

These rumors were fantastically unfounded to begin with. Apparently the words "Gearbox" and "Halo" appearing in the same sentence means that Gearbox is working on a new Halo game to some people. In reality that sentence was merely telling about a Gearbox higher-up joining Microsoft's Halo Franchise Team (now known as 343 Industries).
Now that I write that down it appears to correspond fantastically to your original post in this thread doesn't it?

PS Why quote me twice?
well i didn't skim read the article and certainly did not intend to come into this article ready to whine about Microsoft, but yes i see that i could have expressed my feelings in a different way.

Also i never meant to start arguing with anyone and certainly was not in the mood for it.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Thank [insert deity]. Hopefully, and I can't stress that enough, that ODST, Reach, and Legends will be the last of the Halo franchise. I mean, how many times can you (at this point) beat and rape a dead horse?