GDC 2009: Emil Pagliarulo Keynote

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Emil Pagliarulo Keynote

Emil Pagliarulo, Lead Designer for Fallout 3, explains how he got into the industry. Excerpted from a panel at GDC.

Watch Video

Azeban

Sep 27, 2008
I don't understand all of the praise for Fallout 3. The story and art were both excellent, yes, but the gameplay just wasn't fun. In their quest for realism, ammo was just too hard too find, and the monsters each took so much of it that I ended up avoiding fights just to save it up. I agree that ammo can't be limitless, but if you spend most of the game hunting for it, it's not a very good game.

Needless to say, I gave on that game quickly. I'd rather be having fun.

EDIT: I gave the game a few more hours today. Much better. It went from one of my most overrated games of all time list to my top 5.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Azeban said:
I don't understand all of the praise for Fallout 3. The story and art were both excellent, yes, but the gameplay just wasn't fun. In their quest for realism, ammo was just too hard too find, and the monsters each took so much of it that I ended up avoiding fights just to save it up. I agree that ammo can't be limitless, but if you spend most of the game hunting for it, it's not a very good game.

Speak for yourself.

Azeban

Sep 27, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
Azeban said:

Speak for yourself.
I tend to.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Azeban said:

I had the exact opposite experience playing through the game, maybe right at the beginning ammo was a bit scarce for select weapons, but after a few hours in I don't think I ever ran out for my main weapons. If anything I think they were too liberal with the ammo, you can find it everywhere. It was also weightless so you never had to make any tough decisions about weapons to carry based on ammo weight. By the end of the game I was packing round 3,000 rounds for my assault rifle alone. I'm very much an explorer gamer type though, I'll double back across areas just to make sure I have explored every nook and cranny.

Only monsters that could really take a hit, in my play through, were the Deathclaws, but I found killing them easy enough as well. The big robots were also pretty tough, but 3 pulse grenades was always enough to put them down.

Azeban

Sep 27, 2008
Slycne said:
Azeban said:

I had the exact opposite experience playing through the game, maybe right at the beginning ammo was a bit scarce for select weapons, but after a few hours in I don't think I ever ran out for my main weapons. If anything I think they were too liberal with the ammo, you can find it everywhere. It was also weightless so you never had to make any tough decisions about weapons to carry based on ammo weight. By the end of the game I was packing round 3,000 rounds for my assault rifle alone. I'm very much an explorer gamer type though, I'll double back across areas just to make sure I have explored every nook and cranny.

Only monsters that could really take a hit, in my play through, were the Deathclaws, but I found killing them easy enough as well. The big robots were also pretty tough, but 3 pulse grenades was always enough to put them down.
Perhaps I judged the game too quickly. I played it for about 2 hours, then gave up on it, frustrated. I hope it does get easier, as you claim.

Azeban

Sep 27, 2008
Azeban said:
Slycne said:
Azeban said:

Perhaps I judged the game too quickly. I played it for about 2 hours, then gave up on it, frustrated. I hope it does get easier, as you claim.
Indeed it did. Now I see what you're all talking about.