Guitar Hero 5 Gets Playable Avatars

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Guitar Hero 5 Gets Playable Avatars

Your big-headed polygonal caricature on Xbox Live will be able to fulfill its dreams of rock stardom when Guitar Hero 5 launches with support for playable avatars.

Judging by the clothes available for your Xbox Avatar these days - skinny jeans, arm warmers, crazy facepaint - it's almost as if the things were designed to be in a Guitar Hero game, so it's really not much of a stretch or surprise to hear talk that the upcoming Guitar Hero 5 will support in-game playable Avatars.

It works basically the way you'd assume it would: you can import the Avatars on your 360's hard drive into Guitar Hero 5, and then play any of the songs in the game using them and an instrument of your choice. It works for the band mode as well, where you can mix-and-match Avatars with the musicians who come in the game, including franchise mascots like Judy Nails and Axel Steel.

My Avatar, who wears white facepaint (no it's not corpsepaint) and camo is all ready to Guitar Hero it up, but if you need to give your virtual dude or dudette the rock star treatment, the game features a "Create-A-Rocker" mode where players can "customize their creations with exclusive Guitar Hero clothing and accessories to ensure they look performance-ready."

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Well at least the Avatars system is getting better. I mean, even the Mii's are in retail games and not just downloadable games. So far, it seems the avatars are good for some arcade games and for the dashboard. A demo Xbox 360 has the avatars do more than a home version of the Xbox 360.

Jul 9, 2008
That's actually a decent idea. Too bad the last rhythm game I will ever buy is Rockband: Beatles, which is frankly the exception to my earlier pledge of "no more."

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
orannis62 said:
That's actually a decent idea. Too bad the last rhythm game I will ever buy is Rockband: Beatles, which is frankly the exception to my earlier pledge of "no more."
Maybe, but it's the Beatles. And I only plan on buying that, too.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Keane Ng said:
you can import the Avatars on your 360's hard drive into Guitar Hero 5, and then play any of the songs in the game using them and an instrument of your choice.
Instrument of my choice? Wow [http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om02500.html]

cowbell40

Jun 12, 2009
Seeing as the recent GH games have allowed for surprising depth in character and instrument customization, I'm not sure why we'd want to use the avatars, who don't look as good.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
cowbell40 said:
Seeing as the recent GH games have allowed for surprising depth in character and instrument customization, I'm not sure why we'd want to use the avatars, who don't look as good.
Well considering the male characters in GH:WT all look like heroin addicts no matter what you set the sliders to, I'm gonna call the avatars an improvement.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Meado said:
Well considering the male characters in GH:WT all look like heroin addicts no matter what you set the sliders to, I'm gonna call the avatars an improvement.
I made mine look like a zombie for precisely this reason.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
I just checked out the trailer for this, the lip synching on the avatars was diabolically bad. plus they look really out of place when compared to the audience models. It kind of looks like the singer is wearing a big headed costume.

hardter

Aug 1, 2009
Slightly reminds me of GH1 when the synching was very bad. Although with a whole band of avatars it will look quite well but with one in the band he will look quite out of place I must say