Wet Announced for September 15th, Economy Be Damned

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Wet Announced for September 15th, Economy Be Damned

Some developers may be afraid of the down economy, but stores will at least have one interesting shooter on the shelves this Fall: Bethesda Softworks and A2M announced today that Wet will be released on September 15th for Xbox 360 and PS3.

"We are extremely excited to bring Wet to gamers on September 15th," said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks. "A2M has created an explosive gaming experience and the action is non-stop from start to finish."

Although Fall is traditionally a time of peak excitement in the industry, when store shelves are flooded with games, this Fall is Guild Wars 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93452-Holiday-Game-Delays-Are-They-Good-for-Gamers] and more have all slipped their release dates into "early 2010" or beyond.

Bethesda's Pete Hines, however, says none of that concerns him. When asked if Wet's September release date was selected as a strategic move in response to competitors' fears about the economy, he responded:

"Wet is coming out in September because that's when it will be ready and we want to get it out so folks can play it. I think it's a really fun game, I've been enjoying playing it, and sitting on it because of whatever state the economy is in doesn't make any sense."

Wet, developed by Artificial Mind and Movement, and previewed at Bethesda's press event [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91297-Rubi-Rubi-Wet] earlier this year in London, is a hyper-stylized action-shooter, starring Rubi, the female protagonist who's just as comfortable shooting you in the face as she is slashing your head off with a sword.

"We've worked really hard to make Wet different from any other action game available," said Patrick Fortier, Creative Director at A2M. "When players experience the game's unique blend of gunplay, sword combat and acrobatics, they won't want to put the controller down."

hansari

May 31, 2009
According to sources, Wet = crazy "tarantino-esque" action, over the top storylines...

I can't wait...

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Frankly, I think the other developpers are afraid people will only buy one 360 game, and that game would be Modern Warefare 2, or Assassin's Creed 2. Thats my opinion, well, the economy probably has something to do with it but I'd like to think my theory is better.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Y'know, a studio calling itself A2M releasing a game called "Wet" has some unfortunate implications to those with a dirty mind.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
SimuLord said:
Y'know, a studio calling itself A2M releasing a game called "Wet" has some unfortunate implications to those with a dirty mind.
You know it really didnt occur to me until you mentioned it, in fact i had to think about it for a moment lol. You sir have a filthy filthy mind.
Could be worse. They could've gotten DVDA (the South Park guys' band) to do the soundtrack music.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
So it's basically Grindhouse - the game. The graphics look like playstation 2 however.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
You will pop it in the drive and it will crash, and you will walk away with the realization that Bethesda doesn't fully take time to do something called "Programming"

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
sturryz said:
You will pop it in the drive and it will crash, and you will walk away with the realization that Bethesda doesn't fully take time to do something called "Programming"
...Except I think Bethesda is only publishing it, not making it.

Also, i'm sure they cry themselves to sleep on their great big giant piles of money every night, just because you think that.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Byers said:
So it's basically Grindhouse - the game. The graphics look like playstation 2 however.
Which is one of the key problems with many gamers. Are you here to play a fun game, or to watch a movie?

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Aw. Tis' a shame that Heavy Rain and Wet aren't going to be released at the same time. I'm sure Yahtzee would have made a pun about it (or a **** joke.)

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Byers said:
Which is one of the key problems with many gamers. Are you here to play a fun game, or to watch a movie?
Both? I can't think of a single game without FMVs in it.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Amnestic said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Byers said:
You need to play more than just Squaresoft titles.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Amnestic said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Byers said:
I'm gonna sit myself here while you find a game without an FMV in it for me. Current-generation if you please.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Amnestic said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Amnestic said:
I'm gonna sit myself here while you find a game without an FMV in it for me. Current-generation if you please.
Half Life 2. Fallout 3. Possibly even Resident Evil 5, though that game has good enough graphics to not need FMV. Of course, now we're going to get into the semantic argument of what defines an "FMV" when you insist that all three of those games do in fact have FMVs. (Edit: Actually nevermind, I seem to recall a brief FMV sequence at the very beginning of RE5.)

I could probably cite more examples, but I'm heading to bed in just a moment so my mind doesn't exactly have much in the ways of focus right now.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Byers said:
I'm here to play a fun game with good graphics.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Byers said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Byers said:
I'm here to play a fun game with good graphics.
Then you really need to re-evaluate your priorities if the quality of graphics is a factor in how much you're able to enjoy a game.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
When players experience the game's unique blend of gunplay, sword combat and acrobatics, they won't want to put the controller down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHN_VzU4wjc[/youtube]
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiFyMVblhRw[/youtube]
Replaces monsters with gangsters is not that original.