Futurama Cast Inks New Deal with Fox, Confirmed to Return

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Futurama Cast Inks New Deal with Fox, Confirmed to Return

Crisis averted, Futurama fans. Futurama's original cast of voice actors has signed a new contract with Fox, erasing fears that Fox would recast the recently resurrected comedy series.

It's okay. Calm down. Stop mashing that gigantic red button and screaming apocalypse. Crisis has been averted as Fox and the cast of Futurama have signed a new contract ensuring that all your favorite voice actors will be on the show when it returns. Dr. Zoidberg will still sound like Dr. Zoidberg. Bender will be Marcus Fenix [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0224007/]. Hermes will be, uh, whoever voices Hermes. Oh, it's Phil LaMarr. That guy.

Turns out that all they needed to navigate those tricky contract negotiations is what anyone needs when two parties are trying to get what they want and will refuse anything less: compromise. Fox is paying more than what they want to, and the actors are accepting less. Everybody gets what they want, and some of what they don't.

Fox was already in the midst of a casting call for new actors earlier this month, and seemingly committed to replacing the old cast. Something must have made them reconsider to the point where they'd sit back down at the negotiation table. Maybe it was the unquenchable fan uproar, maybe it was something else. Whatever it was, it doesn't matter. Futurama, as we know it, has been saved.

[Via The Toronto Star [http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnists/article/674841]]

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Awesome, can't wait to turn on the tube and check those new episodes out.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
This most certainly was Good News....to Everyone!

[sub]Ba-dum-tsch[/sub]

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Chester A. Bum 1: Hooray!
Chester 2: Hooray!
Chester 3: Hooray Indeed.

People who get that are now my friends.

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
Curtmiester said:
Benders back? Yes? Everyone gets a cookies then.
I havent got my Cookie yet. Oh well at least we all get to see new Futurama Episodes.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Why was it canceled anyway?
From what I can remember it went something like this.

Fox thought that because it was another Matt Groening cartoon they would have another Simpsons on their hands. The thing is Futurama was not the Simpsons, infact it really wasn't anything like The Simpsons. Now I am not an American so I can;t debate with much accuracy the TV scheduling over there but from what I read FOX ended up sticking Futurama on after the Football. Now I am lead to believe that Football can and does overrun which meant that a lot of people who wanted to watch Futurama would tune in to find guys to afraid to play Rugby on the screen instead of the show they wanted to watch.

In essence being that folk couldn't tell what time Futurama was on so it got lower viewing figures than it should have FOX saw that as Futurama = not very good, cancel it.

I am lead to believe that it's initial shift to after the football started the problems and FOXs constant movement of it's viewing times finished it off.

Back on topic, great news. Who couldn;'t see the actors were just holding out to see what they could get from FOX?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Darkrai said:
Casual Shinji said:
Why was it canceled anyway?
Because it's FOX. Need I explain more?
Well..............................YEAH.
I'm not from America so I've never watched FOX. I know they're pretty narrow minded bigots, but they must've given a reason.