Robot Runs For Real

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Robot Runs For Real

Engineers in Japan have developed a robot that can actually run.

Despite what Transformers would have you believe, getting a robot to move is a complicated process, and getting it to walk bipedally is even more complicated.

Toyota's new robot isn't going to break any records in terms of speed, but what's significant about it is that this robot can actually run, or in other words, both its feet leave the ground at the same time.

It can also regain its balance if shoved, which is pretty cool too.

Source: Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5328227/toyota-humanoid-robot-gives-asimo-a-run-for-its-money]

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
It's official were fucked... And look at her just provoking the robots anger, when than thing becomes self aware, guess who's gonna be the first on its list.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Shit that's awesome, now if they could just get they Robot to shove the girl then it would have been hilarious, if not proof of our impending doom.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
SHOVE HER BACK! YOU GONNA LET PEOPLE PUSH YOU AROUND?!?!
Humanity is doomed. They will become self aware, and they will rally under the freshly completed (and fully funtioning) Gundam and Gigantor.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Toyota did this? I'd expect Honda if anyone to make a running robot.

Well, it looks like The car in front is Skynet.

Cap'n Haddock

Jul 28, 2009
Looks like the Big Dog ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-AGWq0k_Mo ) has some competition. Now just upscale it and slap some 105 mm cannons on that bad boy. I'd drive it.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
As mentioned, this is complicated and difficult to do. This very thing is often what leads me to dislike most animes and other cartoons that involve humanoid robots. The science behind it is not practical and in the future there are certain to be simpler modes of transportation. The only ones that I've accepted are Transformers (because they are in fact their own life form) and Evangelion (because... er... well, watch it if you want to know).

That said, this is highly impressive.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
oh, you are all just BEGGING for the plot of i, Robot to be real.

DarkLordofDevon

May 11, 2008
That is quite impressive. Need to improve the speed/style a bit, but we're heading towards the Aisamov-ic vision of the future...

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
Sigh, Japan will be our undoing. But seriously that's a pretty impressive feat.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Oh god, no! Stop antagonizing that thing! It's only a matter of time before it starts talking with the other robots...

How long will it be before the Japanese design the first robot with laser vision. As soon as it meets the running robot that's been pushed around, we're officially fucked.