DSi Gets Facebook Connect Feature Today

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
DSi Gets Facebook Connect Feature Today

Prepare to flood your friends' Facebook news feeds with the silly pictures you create on your DSi, when Nintendo launches a DSi Facebook connect feature for uploading pictures from the handheld's photo library.

If you're like me and love giving your friends stretchy faces or distorting the size of their eyes so they look like real-life anime characters but hate not being able to share your "works of art" with every single person you know and probably some you don't, today is your lucky day. Nintendo is launching a feature for the DSi that lets you upload pictures from your DSi photo library onto everyone's favorite social network site, Facebook.

Sounds like the feature is pretty user-friendly: all you need to do is look for a big old Facebook icon while you're browsing your photo library, tap it and then it'll upload onto the social network. Obviously you need a Facebook account, a DSi, and, importantly, a Wi-Fi connection to get this thing to work.

"Facebook and Nintendo DSi build on the trend of personalization that is so important to consumers," Nintendo's Cammie Dunaway said. "We're giving people the tools to express themselves in creative new ways and show off the results to their friends and family on Facebook."

I guess this is kinda cool, but so many devices these days have Facebook connections - I'm thinking of the billion mobile phones out there - already that I feel like it doesn't have much of a novelty, aside from the aforementioned ability to share stupid looking pictures online. The feature goes live this afternoon at 5 PM PST.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Prepare to flood your friends' Facebook news feeds with the silly pictures you create on your DSi
Uh...hooray?

Now I can facebook on my DS...life feels...complete?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Aww, Keane, you made this avatar too easy! I still don't know what the other one was though...

As for this, it seems pretty cool though I doubt my friend would use it.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Thank god i dont know anyone who owns a DSi or even a handheld gaming thing of one kind or another.
Heh, I'm just glad I don't know anyone with facebook.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I'll stick with my DS Lite, as far as I'm concerned the DSi is just a lite Lite with a camera.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
The main reason for this update is because it breaks all majikon piracy devices used for playing downloaded games. The facebook update is there most likely to just give a official reason for the update.
Source:http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/07/31/nintendo-crushes-ds-piracy-with-new-firmware/

Fairee

Mar 25, 2009
Ah. I wondered how one of my mates suddenly got his pics up on there....

I don't have a DSi (out of choice, I likes my lite), so meh. However, as mentioned in the OP, Facebook is connecting up with so many things nowadays. Gah, why do all these websites have to interconnect, I don't want the same people to find me on 5 different sites....

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Emphraim said:
The main reason for this update is because it breaks all majikon piracy devices used for playing downloaded games. The facebook update is there most likely to just give a official reason for the update.
Source:http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/07/31/nintendo-crushes-ds-piracy-with-new-firmware/
Whoa. Nintendo Ninja'd this past us?! o_0

Bravo.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
Yay? I don't think that's big news, just something else Nintendo is doing to try and stay on top.