Resident Evil 5 Actress Does Calendar For Fans

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Resident Evil 5 Actress Does Calendar For Fans

Resident Evil 5 voice actress and motion capture performer Karen Dyer has created an unofficial Sheva Alomar calendar.

Karen Dyer is a woman of many talents: actress, writer and burlesque performer to name but a few. She can now add "pinup" to the list with the release of an unofficial Sheva Alomar calendar [http://www.karendyer.net/sheva_calendar.html]. According to Dyer, the calendar is in response to fan requests:

"I'm flattered that Sheva has such great following and that my fans called for this calendar. We wanted to display the sexier and more feminine side of Sheva, and this calendar shows that off times ten."

The calendar features Ms. Dyer in a variety of poses - all clothed before any of you get too excited - in both Sheva's standard outfit and the unlockable outfits earned by playing the game, including the 'tribal' outfit that drew so much ire earlier in the year.

Sheva Alomar was widely considered to be the counter-argument against the claims of racism that surrounded Resident Evil 5, and is certainly the only member of the main cast to be anything other than glaringly white and indeed, the first playable character from a ethnic group other than caucasian in the main Resident Evil series.

It seems a shame that such a significant character for the franchise has been reduced to simple eye candy, and by the actress who portrayed her no less.

Source: Capcom Unity Blog [http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2009/08/03/resident_evil_5s_sheva_gets_a_calendar]

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
nilcypher said:
Residend Evil 5 ...
That a low bugdet rip off of Resident evil? ;)

Anywho, about the post - Nice! Its surprising, in a good way, to see the people behind these characters seemingly really getting into it and *ahem* rewarding fans.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I can see why Sheva's so popular, she was the only likeable character in that game, with monkey boy Chris and his jilted ex, and the gormless Jill only making me annoyed I couldn't kill her. I do prefer the game version of the woman though. Regardless of counter racism-ness, she is quite hot.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
I feel...quite dismayed by this news. I realize that if the actress wants to do a calendar or somesuch that's her right and her right alone, but still, it's pandering to the boob-obsessed portion of the geek community more than anything else.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
galletea said:
I can see why Sheva's so popular, she was the only likeable character in that game, with monkey boy Chris and his jilted ex, and the gormless Jill only making me annoyed I couldn't kill her. I do prefer the game version of the woman though. Regardless of counter racism-ness, she is quite hot.
Chris is the one with melon biceps bigger than his head, right?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The_Oracle said:
I feel...quite dismayed by this news. I realize that if the actress wants to do a calendar or somesuch that's her right and her right alone, but still, it's pandering to the boob-obsessed portion of the geek community more than anything else.
Would you have preferred it if she'd just ignored the fans, taken the money, and left?

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Doug said:
galletea said:
Chris is the one with melon biceps bigger than his head, right?
And hair that look like someone's fucking lawn.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
After her performance in the RE5 campaign, I want to throw Sheva in front of a tractor, not stare at pictures of her on a calendar.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Doug said:
The_Oracle said:
Would you have preferred it if she'd just ignored the fans, taken the money, and left?
Probably not. But don't let my kvetching make up your mind for you; it's the actress's decision to do something like this and it's the fans' decision to decide how they want to take this news.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Countering claims of racism? Have you seen the tribal outfit?

Corporate thinking:
Stage 1) We need boobs!
Stage 2) We need non-whites!
Stage 3) Ta da!

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Why is it a big deal that a game has a black PC? Jesus Christ are we not above this?

Never mind the whole "Sheva Alomar was widely considered to be the counter-argument against the claims of racism that surrounded Resident Evil 5," thing. What the fuck? That's like saying "I'm not a racist, I've got black friends!"

Hurf durf "RE5 isn't racist, half of the PC's are black!" hurf durf hurf.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Well, it was requested by fans, so I don't see it as too demeaning to society. Hell, gamers have been putting up with Laura Croft for quite some time now, so it's nice to see that the focus has shifted towards someone who doesn't look like Angelina Jolie.

Besides, that calender can't hold a flame to my fan made Albert Wesker calender...

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
DirkGently said:
Never mind the whole "Sheva Alomar was widely considered to be the counter-argument against the claims of racism that surrounded Resident Evil 5," thing. What the fuck? That's like saying "I'm not a racist, I've got black friends!"
Technically it's like saying "I'm not a racist, I've got black friends." Then dressing your friends in an exaggerated african tribal costume.

The fact that her parents worked at an umbrella plant makes it unlikely she has a tribal upbringing! Go geek abuse.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
i sincerelly dont care... unles they make a calendar of Alice from the movies (i love that actress) i dont care

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
rossatdi said:
DirkGently said:
Technically it's like saying "I'm not a racist, I've got black friends." Then dressing your friends in an exaggerated african tribal costume.

The fact that her parents worked at an umbrella plant makes it unlikely she has a tribal upbringing! Go geek abuse.
Provided your friend feels like putting, probably after you've had a few beers and been playing video games for like ten hours. Nobody *forces* you to have Sheva wear the silly joke costume. I don't think anybody but those who want to be angry over something take it take seriously. I sincerely doubt that anybody at Capcom said "Hey let's make Sheva a 'tribal' costume because that's all that black people are!" Or anything like that.