Stonking Great Game Contest Now Live!

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Stonking Great Game Contest Now Live!

Zero Punctuation is The Escapist's groundbreaking and award nominated video review series starring Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. Every Wednesday Zero Punctuation picks apart the games so you don't have to in an unfiltered style that can only be described as "rapid-fire." Gamers love it, developers fear it and and now it's your turn to create a game and be judged by Yahtzee!

Starting Wednesday, August 5th, 2009, The Escapist will be taking submissions for browser based Zero Punctuation games.

Why? Yahtzee put it best:

People have tried to make ZP-based games before. But now they'll have to make them to some kind of actual standards, the poor suckers. Let's hope the entries will be as enjoyable to play as they will be to criticize.

-YZ

For more details and a full set of rules, please visit our main contest page by clicking here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contests/register/stonkinggreatgame_09].

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Damn, I guess I'd better start learning how to code flash xD Anyone got any free programs I can use for it?

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Well well well. Looks like I won't be seeing daylight for a few weeks. GO GO GADGET CODE MONKEY POWERS!

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Sounds like fun.

What are the dementions you want us to use for the flash rendering area? Can we take up a whole 1024x768 screen, or do you want us to contain our windows to something that can fit inside the escapist webpage template?

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
hamster mk 4 said:
Sounds like fun.

What are the dementions you want us to use for the flash rendering area? Can we take up a whole 1024x768 screen, or do you want us to contain our windows to something that can fit inside the escapist webpage template?
I would imagine they would want it to go with the website. 1024x768 is pretty big for broswer-based media.

Dark Link

Jul 27, 2009
Fuck, makes me wish I knew some sort of coding language.

Ah well. Make a point-and-click adventure about Yahtzee trying to stop companies producing gunmetal-grey FPS games.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
hamster mk 4 said:
Sounds like fun.

Looking into specific dimensions for you. Will be back with an answer shortly.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
As a non-coder, and not one enamoured of Zero Punctuation, I have little to add to this. However, disqualifying Zero Punctuation games on the grounds of it containing:
Excessive vulgarity, lewdness or profanity
seems a tad ridiculous.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
hamster mk 4 said:
Sounds like fun.

Looking into specific dimensions for you. Will be back with an answer shortly.
That would be spectacular. Thanks

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
Can't wait to see what some of the fans come up with.

I'm thinking Yahtzee DDR :)
I'm hoping for whackamole. Wouldn't win the competition, but it'd be funny for a few seconds.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Please could we have some more clarification on this ruling:
Acts prohibited under law in any national, state or local jurisdiction in which The Escapist website may be viewed.
Forgive me for seeming pedantic, but don't most games feature things like this, i.e. fighting games = assault and battery, shooting games = murder, racing games = speeding and reckless driving.

What about if our game featured a 20 year old man drinking or buying a beer, which is prohibited in some states where the drinking age is 21?

Since most countries with an internet connection can get the Escapist, does this mean that we can't feature most gameplay mechanics, which are bound to be illegal somewhere, or does this refer to just things like rape, drug use and Nazis (illegal in Germany)?

Is this a ploy to make us be extra creative and to force us to really think outside the box?

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
pigeon_of_doom said:
As a non-coder, and not one enamoured of Zero Punctuation, I have little to add to this. However, disqualifying Zero Punctuation games on the grounds of it containing:
Excessive vulgarity, lewdness or profanity
seems a tad ridiculous.
Excessive is the key word there. There's a line where you cross into bad taste, and the staff and judges get to decide what that is, and reject the ones that go above and beyond.

hamster mk 4 said:
650px wide will be the only requirement, but I suggest 650x365 if you're looking for a starting point. That's the same size as the video playback area on the site.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I think extra points should be awarded for incorporating elements from Yahtzee's own games (the Chzo Mythos, 1213...)

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I'd love to be able to enter, but I have no idea how to make flash games. Even if I do I'll probably lose out to someone who's been making them since they were five or something.

It might be worth a shot though. Anyone got a good tutorial and program they can recommend me?

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
What is the policy on development blogs?

Should we post updates in this thread, create a new topic in another message board on the escapist, maintain our own blog on a different site, or keep our progress to ourselves?

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
Sounds like a great idea as long as Yahtzee don't mind doing it, but I doubt I'll particepate in the competition. No surprise that Yahtzee didn't create this thread himself. :)

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
CaptainChaosify said:
Sounds like a great idea as long as Yahtzee don't mind doing it, but I doubt I'll particepate in the competition. No surprise that Yahtzee didn't create this thread himself. :)
You are aware that he works for us, right?

In any event, I can assure you Yahtzee is 100% on board with this contest. He will even be judging ;)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
CaptainChaosify said:
You are aware that he works for us, right?

In any event, I can assure you Yahtzee is 100% on board with this contest. He will even be judging ;)
So you know it'll be good.

Or at least properly shouted at.

Hey, it sounds fun. Hopefully it will be something good.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
You just know its going to be some Xbox Live Community game but I think it would interesting if it was a random flash game you'd find on a site like Newgrounds (where some Escapist contributors have been before they were here).

I don't make games, although I know someone who does... I'll be right back.