Next Dashboard Update Could Slim Down Game Installs

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Next Dashboard Update Could Slim Down Game Installs

The next Dashboard update for the 360 will bring one improvement you might not even notice without looking: it appears that the update drastically cuts down on the size of game installs.

The 360 might not exactly be the Wii when it comes to limited space for storing all your precious save data, downloadable games and game installs, but if you've got enough junk on your hard drive, well, it can fill up just as fast. Good news for those types who just cannot bear to delete anything off their drives, then. According to some folks who have taken the 360's upcoming Dashboard update [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/842-Preview-Xbox-Dashboard-Update] for a spin, it dramatically cuts down on some game's install sizes.

That means King of Fighters XII sheds a ton of weight going from a 3.4 GB install to about 700 MB, while Raiden Fighters Aces goes from 3.4 GB to 484 MB in another example of dramatic memory slimming. Left 4 Dead trims off 1.3 GB to go from 5 gigs to a comparatively light 3.7. The magical weight loss doesn't work for everything, though: apparently games over 6.5 gigs don't lose more than a couple hundred megs, while some games just don't show any change at all.

So what's the secret? Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox360-summer-09-update-article] theorizes that it might be that the Dashboard is a lot smarter about only transferring over the data it needs when you install a game onto the hard drive - no more useless copy-protection or duplicated data that takes up space.

Whatever is going on, this is undoubtedly good news: smaller install sizes could mean faster loading times, and obviously more space for all the random demos, videos, etc you download, not to mention the titles which will be available on the 360's Games on Demand service which will launch in the near future.

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
Oh thank whatever anthropromorpic entity you believe in. Now I can install more games now! But will I have to uninstall the ones I have on there first?

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Awesome! I can't wait to finall download all the games I want. But yeah, do I have uninstall the games I already have? Seems like a big trade off to me

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
avykins said:
Okay so I do not have a 360 yet so do not know. But why the hell do you even have to install games for anyway? Sounds kind of PCish... But anyway once you have installed it I take it you still need the CD in the drive to play right? So it is just a frikkin waste of time.
You don't have to install the game, but if you do with some games it can reduce load times. But installing is not actually required.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
avykins said:
Okay so I do not have a 360 yet so do not know. But why the hell do you even have to install games for anyway? Sounds kind of PCish... But anyway once you have installed it I take it you still need the CD in the drive to play right? So it is just a frikkin waste of time.
The theory is the install can cut load times, reduce crash and freezing, slow down the disc speed and lower heat production. And it works, I couldn't get 5 minutes into GTA or Fable 2 without it locking up, but after the install I haven't frozen up since.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Kuchinawa212 said:
Awesome! I can't wait to finall download all the games I want. But yeah, do I have uninstall the games I already have? Seems like a big trade off to me
Delete it from your hard drive

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Darkrai said:
Kuchinawa212 said:
Yeah but I wanna keep my stats for the Watchmen game... i think i was the only one that liked it...

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
avykins said:
Yeah, screw shorter load times!

I mean, it's not like the 360 has a history of trashing discs when it tries to read them. Who'd want to reduce that?

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
So installing games might actually be useful now!? I only have Prototype installed and thats because it fixes the problem where after the Thermobaric Tank mission the game gets stuck in a load screen.
This also affects other downloads too?

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
TheTygerfire said:
avykins said:
The theory is the install can cut load times, reduce crash and freezing, slow down the disc speed and lower heat production. And it works, I couldn't get 5 minutes into GTA or Fable 2 without it locking up, but after the install I haven't frozen up since.
Agreed. I had the same experience with Oblivion, and installing it helped a lot. I'm glad the update will help me with the hard drive space.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Kuchinawa212 said:
Darkrai said:
Kuchinawa212 said:
Yeah but I wanna keep my stats for the Watchmen game... i think i was the only one that liked it...
Delete the game, not the items

Apr 28, 2008
If I had a bigger hard drive I would be glad.

I still have the 12 gig hard drive :p
I'd get a bigger one but I'll be damned if I buy a 60 gig hard drive for $100

Plus I don't want to redownload all the stuff I have, because my internet sucks and it would literally take months to redownload. And I wouldn't have any of my save-games, which is lame.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
avykins said:
It allows you to load games much more quickly. For instance a single player campaign in Halo 3 can require up to 7 minutes in load times, and this is for a single level. However once one installs the game, the load time is reduced to seconds. It also crosses over to multiplayer. All in all load times become drastically reduced.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Kiutu said:
So installing games might actually be useful now!? I only have Prototype installed and thats because it fixes the problem where after the Thermobaric Tank mission the game gets stuck in a load screen.
It already was useful. As TheTygerfire said, it dramatically cuts noise levels and heat production.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Nifty said:
Kiutu said:
It already was useful. As TheTygerfire said, it dramatically cuts noise levels and heat production.
Maybe if you have memory to waste, but between my hard drive and memory card I dont even have a gig to spare anymore. I cant be putting all these games on my HD without deleting tons of my saves that I still use.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Now if only the Ps3 can get this update via updated firmware. Their install times leave much to be desired.