Crytek Threatens to Leave Germany Again

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Crytek Threatens to Leave Germany Again

If the German government continues to seek a ban on violent games, Crysis developer Crytek will take its ball and go home, says CEO Cevat Yerli.

paintball [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90185-Surprise-Surprise-Germany-Shooting-Linked-To-Games], it soon turned its sights on a more familiar target, seeking a wholesale ban on violent games.

Naturally, Frankfurt-based Crytek - makers of violent (and leafy) FPS games Crysis and Far Cry - wasn't happy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/76230-Crytek-Threatens-to-Leave-Germany], with CEO Cevat Yerli bluntly stating that their contingency plan would be to leave Germany outright. The company has branch offices in England, Hungary, Bulgaria, and Ukraine, any of which could become its new headquarters.

In a recent interview with PCGames.de [http://www.pcgames.de/aid,691719/Killerspiel-Diskussion-Crysis-Schoepfer-Cevat-Yerli-droht-mit-Abwanderung-aus-Deutschland/PC/News/?page=2], Yerli reiterated the claim. "A ban on action games in Germany is concerning us because it is essentially like banning the German artists that create them," said Yerli.

[blockquote]"If the German creative community can't effectively participate in one of the most important cultural mediums of our future, we will be forced to relocate to other countries ... The current political discussion will deprive German talent of its place on the global game development stage, and deprive German consumers of entertainment that is considered safe and fun around the world."[/blockquote]

All may not be lost for our proud German readers, though - the government's efforts to ban videogames may have been derailed by a petition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93471-German-Videogame-Ban-Derailed-by-Internet-Petition] with over 50,000 signatures.

(Via Edge Online [http://www.edge-online.com/news/crytek-threatens-to-leave-germany])

Merteg

May 9, 2009
If I were Crytek I would leave too.

It's sad that Germany would be so extreme to bad violent video games. Though, what's considered a "violent video game?"

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
I'm glad to see that at least one gaming company is going to stand up to the insane laws Germany is trying to pass. With some luck it will make them reconsider their decision to pass the law.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I hope the law gets passed cause it would be funny to read about it on forums and stuff, plus piracy would go through the roof which would also be good.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
So when are violent video games going to stop becoming the scapegoat in situations such as this? Games don't breed violence, troubled people do.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
I hope they leave as that would be a strong signal, german players need to start protesting against those insane laws.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
Alright! Gamer Creator Powah! WOOT WOOT WOOT Woot woot woot woot..... ahem....
Good job Crytek.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
If I were German, I'd be glad to be rid of Cevat Yerli.

Not of Crytek, though.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
It's one thing to be forced to move because of a job, but moving to an entirely different country, because your government despises what you do? Ouch. I hope it doesn't come to that.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
paketep said:
If I were German, I'd be glad to be rid of Cevat Yerli.

Not of Crytek, though.
I'm not so much worried about single companies or their individual representatives.
It's just bad for the whole gaming industry and the craft itself.

Makes you especially angry if you see that this is one of the topics abused for the upcoming elections.

Thurmer

Jul 15, 2009
dochmbi said:
I hope the law gets passed cause it would be funny to read about it on forums and stuff, plus piracy would go through the roof which would also be good.
haha thats actually a really good point, I mean on one hand no more german made games but on the other we'd probs get a new german pirate bay :D

also kinda more on topic good to see the govt choosing to target video games instead of maybe i don't know the childs home life zzzz

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
If I were Crytek, I'd leave for Hungary. Because then we'd finally have a reknowned games studio.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Proteus214 said:
So when are violent video games going to stop becoming the scapegoat in situations such as this?
That will stop the day that we start blaming the telematrix hive for the kindergarten laser shootouts, in about 20-40 years time.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
If they really are going to leave Germany,then well... good for them,bad for gonverment.

Aug 4, 2009
If the german government choose to start censorining or straight-out banning violent games(let's face it that means most of'em), it will only cause trouble for them in the long run. Why? Well, people won't just stop playing games in Germany because the well-fed, expensive suit wearing politician told them so, and so they'll do what the whole industry, fears most, start pirating. "I can't buy'em, I can't download them legally, well that's not fair, so let's stick it to the man." Especially considering that Germany is a very PC game centric country, it'll all turn out being worse for everyone...exept bittorrent.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
KDR_11k said:
Yep, "again". They do that EVERY SINGLE TIME the topic comes up.
yeah cause having jobs leave a country over laws is always a great deterrent for them to not pass a law, so keeping up the threat is a good thing