Updated: Microsoft Reveals 360's Games on Demand Lineup

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Updated: Microsoft Reveals 360's Games on Demand Lineup

The Xbox 360's Games on Demand service will debut next week as part of the system's Dashboard update, and there are some pretty heavy hitters in the debut lineup of games available, Microsoft revealed today.

Ended is the Xbox 360's Xbox Originals line, soon to be superseded (next week) by a newfangled feature part of the much-newfangled Dashboard update, Games on Demand. If you haven't heard, Games on Demand is, well, pretty much what its name implies: full Xbox 360 games that you can purchase and download over Xbox Live.

The service will debut with 21 games next week, and though not all of them will get you mashing A to buy buy buy, there are some pretty notable titles here that you might feel like picking up if you're too lazy to head down to GameStop to buy used. We've got Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Oblivion, and, uh, Perfect Dark Zero, to name a few notables. Here's the full list:

Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
Burnout Paradise (EA)
Call of Duty® 2 (Activision)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fight Night Round 3 (EA)
Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft Game Studios)
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (LucasArts)
Mass Effect (Microsoft Game Studios)
Meet The Robinsons (Disney)
MX vs. ATV Untamed (THQ)
Need for Speed Carbon (EA)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA)
Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft Game Studios)
Prey (2K Games)
Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis (Rockstar Games)
Sega Rally (Sega)
TEST DRIVE: UNLIMITED (Atari)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas
Tomb Raider Legend (Eidos)
Viva Piñata (Microsoft Game Studios)
Viva Piñata 2: Trouble in Paradise (Microsoft Game Studios)

One of the nice things about Games on Demand is that you won't have to buy Microsoft Points to pay for these games; instead, you can just fork over an exact dollar amount with your credit card of choice. I know, it's been a long time coming, hasn't it?

UPDATE: Turns out the list above is the UK list, not the US one. So if you were wondering where BioShock is, here you go:

Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (LucasArts)
Rainbow Six Vegas (Ubisoft)
BioShock (2K Games)
Mass Effect (Microsoft Game Studios)
ridge racer 6 (Namco)
Burnout Paradise (EA)
Meet The Robinsons (Disney)
Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis (Rockstar Games)
Call of Duty® 2 (Activision)
MX vs. ATV Untamed (THQ)
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (SEGA)
Dance Dance Revolution Universe (Konami)
Need for Speed Carbon (EA)
TEST DRIVE: UNLIMITED (Atari)
Fight Night Round 3 (EA)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2K Games/Bethesda Softworks
Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft Game Studios)
Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft Game Studios)
Viva Piñata (Microsoft Game Studios)
Karaoke Revolution American Idol Encore (Konami)
Prey (2K Games)
Viva Piñata 2: Trouble in Paradise (Microsoft Game Studios)

UPDATE #2: The Xbox Originals will still be available; they will simply undergo a name change as they are bundled into the Games on Demand section.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Hey, hey hey where the hell is Bioshock. I know I saw it in that video..... If i don't get my bioshock I'm gonna.... *spasms on the floor*

EDIT: Ahh there it is, all is right with the world

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
An interesting idea.

Though, it will only make lazy gamers even more lazy.

Still, interesting and nearly fool-proof idea.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I'm assuming the costs vary here, but what's the range?
I mean, there had to be a price incentive to not owning a physical copy. I can pick up Oblivion for 25 bucks (Give or take) used, so where is the lure here? I'm certainly not against digital distribution, but there had better be a reason for it besides 'no discs'.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Interesting, although the only games that seem entertaining I already own. I'll have to wait until more titles are added. Although, I like this idea. Kind of.

Jan 29, 2009
GodsOneMistake said:
Hey, hey hey where the hell is Bioshock. I know I saw it in that video..... If i don't get my bioshock I'm gonna.... *spasms on the floor*
...Pay the $15 it costs to buy the game nowadays?
Seriously, even at gamestop it's cheap as dirt!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
GodsOneMistake said:
Um...you know you can just go to the store and buy it, right?

NoMoreSanity said:
A good list, though a little too many Sports Titles. And why are both Viva Pinatas there?
The short answer can be found in the parentheses following the titles. ;)

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
I don't know, I kind of like owning actual physical copies of stuff, it feels more awesome to actually pay the money and take the game home then going "confirm download"

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Really, you didn't like it? I enjoyed the heck out of it, though I do admit it fell short in a number of ways. What didn't you like about it?

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Oh are they really getting rid of the Xbox Originals section? Thats kind of a shame. I was hoping they'd bring in some ore games to that.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
The opening line-up isn't that bad, it looks like it covers a good range of gamers to get them involved.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I'm just glad that I can finally get Viva Piñata; my local game stores have been out of stock of that game for ages.

Seriously, I can't wait to raise my candy-filled garden critters.