StarCraft 2 Officially Delayed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
StarCraft 2 Officially Delayed

Blizzard [http://www.starcraft2.com/], has been officially delayed until the "first half" of 2010.

Activision Blizzard [http://www.activisionblizzard.com/] revealed the delay in its financial results statement for the second quarter of 2009. The publisher reported better-than-expected results and predicted continued strength through the second half of the year based on a solid holiday lineup, but also finally admitted that StarCraft 2 won't be out this year.

"As we prepare for next year, we have moved the expected release dates for two games, Singularity [http://www.activision.com/] and Blizzard Entertainment's StarCraft 2, into 2010," Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick said in the report. As a result of the delay, Activision adjusted its revenue outlook for the year slightly downward but the publisher "still expects to deliver record non-GAAP operation margins," Kotick added.

The announcement wasn't completely unexpected; with the holiday season looming, StarCraft 2 hasn't even entered beta and analysts have recently said that uncertainty over the game's fate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93481-Activision-Shareholders-Get-Jittery-Over-Starcraft-2] was largely responsible for driving Activision's share price down by 14 percent in July. But while it may not be entirely surprising, confirmation of the game's delay will no doubt be a major disappointment to fans of the franchise; reports of sobs emanating from one particular office at The Escapist are unconfirmed, but probably true.

Starcraft 2 is now slated to be released sometime in the first half of 2010, to coincide with the launch of Blizzard's upgraded Battle.net [http://www.battle.net] online service.

Feb 13, 2008
Before anyone else says it: perhaps they need more vespene gas?

I don't know if Blizzard has missed the boat on this. Much as I'd really like a new Starcraft, it's starting to run that tricky Duke Nukem line.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
Well this certainly isn't surprising. Mind you now we have to hope that Korea can handle the delay without going to war.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
For once Aldaris was right.
But I'm not surprised. They said this would happen. I just hope the beta comes out soon, which will give us a good timeline as to when the game will come out.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Khell_Sennet said:
Isn't this now the third (or possibly fourth) time we've been told of this delay?
No, it's the first time we've heard anything official. Everything else has just been third parties predicting.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Will Blizzard never EVER stop delaying their products? They've been doing this for an absurdly long time now.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Man I saw this coming. Really, Blizzard is just hoarding so much money with WoW that I don't really think they're quite pressed to release Starcraft 2 in a decent timeframe.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
That's it, I officialy don't care anymore, I'm not buying SC2 or Diablo 3 and I've got one final interesting question for Blizzard: FUCK OFF!

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
When it's done, it's done. And I will love it and Blizzard for taking their sweet time and resisting the pressure to release early.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
I sense a mass of nerd rage, people we must escape!!

In all fairness though who is actually shocked by this, Blizzard delay games to make them better, if they ever listened to us then WoW would have blown up ages ago.

Hmmmm, why am i defending Blizzard? O GOD, THEY'VE GOT ME!! RUN AWAY!!!!!!

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
Will Blizzard never EVER stop delaying their products? They've been doing this for an absurdly long time now.
Rather have a delay then they push out a heaping pile of crap.

Midnight0000 said:
Man I saw this coming. Really, Blizzard is just hoarding so much money with WoW that I don't really think they're quite pressed to release Starcraft 2 in a decent timeframe.
Actually this shows their dedicated in making sure their game does not suck. (Hint, refer to quote and sentence above yours)

Not that this was any surpise anyways considering beta tests haven't begun yet. As far as I'm aware not even internal beta testing is being done yet.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
This doesn't surprise me at all.

Go Blizzard, release Starcraft II when it's good and ready!

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I'm happy they are delaying it, please keep doing so for as long as possible, I want to keep watching SC1 matches for a bit longer.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Wow, this game has been pushed back so far, so may times.

I think Half Life 2: Episode 3 might actually be released BEFORE it.

Lord_Panzer said:
They require additional pylons.
My thoughts exactly :D

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Before anyone else says it: perhaps they need more vespene gas?

I don't know if Blizzard has missed the boat on this. Much as I'd really like a new Starcraft, it's starting to run that tricky Duke Nukem line.
Why does everyone assume when a game is delayed its going to turn into Duke Nukem?! This is a completely different case along with most games because people have actually played SC2 unlike with Duke Nukem where all we got was a few screens.

That said, I expected as much after D3's delay. They concentrate too much on WoW.